Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 16:00   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
My LS2 has mirror coated visor which I like the most but don't see such in Sparx, KBC or HJC's. Is such visor available with those brands? I usually keep my visor scratch free so mirror coated won't be a problem.
You can buy these visor's online. Here is one such link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeniz View Post
Can you gurus please suggest a similar brand with same or lesser quality with in built shades.
Look back a few pages/posts. You can buy HJC or Nolan or SOL helmets. The link i have posted above might provide you with a few options.
Old 13th September 2013, 02:55   #992
BHPian

I used to ride with a Nitro Aikido (cheap but 5 star rated) but within two years the internal form compressed a good bit and the helmet started feeling rather loose around my head, making checking over the shoulders risky at speed. Two thirds of my riding is at 120 kmph. Noise levels also went and I started getting ringing in my ears.

After much deliberation, I upgraded to a Schuberth SR1 last week. It's absolutely in a different league altogether compared to the Nitro. It feels quality just to touch. It's much much quieter. And so much lighter, and the visibility out of it so good, it's just amazing. Visor has UV protection etc too. Plenty of vents to control the temperature inside the helmet really well, and to get rid of the fog etc - which you need with SR1 because the fit is so perfect, there's very little air coming into the helmet. The only slight downside is that it's really really hard to get into and out of the helmet - it's so tight around the neck it hurts your ears a bit - but that tightness is by design as that's what is making the helmet so quiet. I am loving it at the moment to be honest.

Also bought a dark tint visor for the SR1, and on it's first outing today I find a bit too dark for the poor light here. I think it's 80% dark and it's illegal for road use, but legalities aside, I find that I can't "see thru cars", which can be crucial sometimes in slow traffic situations when people jay-walk thru the traffic, or if you want to keep an eye on what the car driver is doing / where he's looking etc. But I think the dark tint visor is going to be invaluable both in summer as well as in winter (for low winter sun - in Western Europe).
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_6791.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_6786.jpg  

Last edited by Positron : 13th September 2013 at 03:01.
Positron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 06:47   #993
Senior - BHPian

@Positron: The back view of your Schuberth looks like Batman with a duckface! LOL!
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 16:16   #994
BHPian

Lol. I agree, it is slightly odd looking. The eyebrow part is an adjustable spoiler - moves up or down five degrees I think, and the "eye" are cleverly designed to create a bit of vaccum at the back of the helmet so that air gets kinda sucked out of the helmet. Works really well too.

The only problem with the design is that I am struggling to find a decent set of reflective stickers or decals that will contribute to the look and make it more visible.

Speaking of which, can anyone point me to a good place to source an Indian flag decal or even just the tri-colours (without the Ashoka Chakra) would be sufficient. Thanks in advance!
Old 14th September 2013, 11:52   #995
BHPian

Hello people,

Anyone having a experience using the royal Enfield helmets, either the full face or the half one. I am looking to replace my year old helmet, with something more stylish yet decent quality and came across these two which appear to be well built( made by agv, don't know if this the Italian or the Indian licensed co)

Any feedback from users owning any of these helmets would be appreciated.
Old 14th September 2013, 15:49   #996
Senior - BHPian

@Click: Did you try Bell Rogue helmets? Have heard good things about them

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Rogue-Hel.../dp/B00AYC5IQ0

Motosport ships to India. Price is pretty high

http://www.motosport.com/IN/cruiser/BELL-ROGUE-HELMET
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 20:35   #997
BHPian

Hey guys,

I have a year old LS2 dragon, the visor is pretty much usless now with plenty of scratches et all on it.

Paid a visit to the usual shops near Lalbagh and on J C road for a new visor.
I was told that they don't stock visors for my helmet anymore.

Any other place that I can try? Otherwise I'll have to buy a new helmet which I don't mind but I'll need a helmet for only about 10 months as I'll be going abroad after that. Any help is much appreciated!

The link below shows the helmet I have if that helps. I have one that has white as the base colour.

http://www.vicky.in/shopping/ls2/hel...gon-all-colors

Last edited by ashwin23 : 15th September 2013 at 20:39.
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:26   #998
Senior - BHPian

I really like the SOL SF1 helmet in plain black. Any ways to get it quickly online?
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:06   #999
Senior - BHPian

@dkaile: Have you seen the Bell Rouge helmet?.

Seems ideal for a Harley

Re Sol: Lets gear up from Bangalore should be able to help.

Last edited by sridhu : 23rd September 2013 at 13:11. Reason: URL
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:21   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
@dkaile: Have you seen the Bell Rouge helmet?.

Seems ideal for a Harley
Yes, one of my mates here has just got one (photo attached). Its front cover is quite cumbersome to get on and off. I need a nice easy to live helmet.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-khatauli-ride-15092011_5.jpg
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 21:41   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Where in Delhi can I source the gmax / SOL gm 68 face shield? I have tried meandering India n Chopra helmets (Karol bagh) but no joy.

I'm reluctant to order online as the shield may get scratched in transit.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:57   #1002
BHPian

Guys, hows the the ICON brand of helmets that revzilla stocks up? I like their fun designs and would want to invest in them if there is some positive review from folk here.

cheers!
sai
Old 30th September 2013, 20:29   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Guys, hows the the ICON brand of helmets that revzilla stocks up? I like their fun designs and would want to invest in them if there is some positive review from folk here.
Sai, do take a look at this link. The reviews are detailed and very transparent.
Icon is very popular in the motocross scene and they do make some great quality stuff like jackets, armor and helmets.

Suggestion - try and buy. If you can't try, use the size chart which are generally pretty accurate. Look out for some closeout deals, black friday offers, etc.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th September 2013 at 20:30.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 21:51   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post

cheers!
sai
No doubt Icon makes some funky helmets. Even their riding gear is awesome. I have my eyes set on the Icon Accelerant jacket.

But I doubt if either of their helmets are Snell certified (read more about Snell - http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhoIsSnell). Simply put; its a lot better protection for your noggin as compared to a DOT certified helmet.

I would recommend the Scorpion EXO 700 helmet. Its Snell 2005 certified; has excellent user reviews and costs $99. Just an awesome piece of kit for not too much money (cheaper than Icon surely).

I really wish I had read more about the EXO 700 before I picked up the Gmax GM 68S (aka SOL in India). Just saw its review on webbikeworld.com and instantly fell for it.

In the end its your choice; but I would go for better protection than looks when it comes to riding gear. Hope you find the right hat for yourself! Take care & ride safe.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 30th September 2013 at 21:53.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 14:59   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Sai, do take a look at this link. The reviews are detailed and very transparent.
Icon is very popular in the motocross scene and they do make some great quality stuff like jackets, armor and helmets.

Suggestion - try and buy. If you can't try, use the size chart which are generally pretty accurate. Look out for some closeout deals, black friday offers, etc.
I doubt i would be able to try an buy, making a small trip to the US, hence was planning to buy online stuff you cant get here and carry them back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
No doubt Icon makes some funky helmets. Even their riding gear is awesome. I have my eyes set on the Icon Accelerant jacket.

But I doubt if either of their helmets are Snell certified (read more about Snell - http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhoIsSnell). Simply put; its a lot better protection for your noggin as compared to a DOT certified helmet.

I would recommend the Scorpion EXO 700 helmet. Its Snell 2005 certified; has excellent user reviews and costs $99. Just an awesome piece of kit for not too much money (cheaper than Icon surely).

I really wish I had read more about the EXO 700 before I picked up the Gmax GM 68S (aka SOL in India). Just saw its review on webbikeworld.com and instantly fell for it.

In the end its your choice; but I would go for better protection than looks when it comes to riding gear. Hope you find the right hat for yourself! Take care & ride safe.
Ok, just read about snell. The Icon alliance helmet I was looking at seems to be snell M2000 certified. Now that adds to the confusion. Is the snell 2000 rating good enough?

Actually il be frank, what drew me to this particular helmet was that grovy design. sucker for designs. but yes, now let me also look at the alternatives with the safety envelope as well.

And thanks guys for your wonderful replies.

cheers!
sai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks