Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 15:41   #1516
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have never understood the purpose of the extended peak on a motocross helmet. What does it serve or do over a regular helmet?
Its is supposed to provide protection to the exposed face from branches and brush while dirtrodding and ducking through trees and foliage. Its also great to keep the sun (and rain) off your exposed face.

Quote:
One thing is for sure, your face will be more exposed to the elements cause you can't get a full visor on these lids.
The Vega ones (lots of foreign brands too, like Bell etc.) have a full visor and an inner pilot goggle style visor as well.

The peak can be removed (there are twist type fasteners on each side) for street/highway riding, so the drawback of these at high sped is negated (acting like a sail, bufeting, giving your neck muscles a good workout). However, the Axor are DOT rated, the motocross ones are not (only the mandatory ISI).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
But doc, what about the additional 20 Horsepower a black helmet adds? 30, if its matte black!!!
You are missing out on the extra 5 courtesy the batman number plates.

Quote:
I recently purchased a helmet in "Hi-Viz" colour. I think the principle is that the colour is so darn irritating to the eye that it attracts attention. Hi-Viz clothing is now considered fashionable too, all thanks to a Mr Rossi
Chacha showed the puppies a thing or two about riding in Australia - did he not?

Quote:
But I am not fully convinced. I like your example of "try spotting a rider in your rear view ........" but would riding with your lights on not be a better way to get spotted? I mean, if someone cannot see a bright light (even during day time) in their mirrors then I dont know how much good would other measures do
Tried and tested (we always ride with lights on in the day time). You are welcome to try out for yourself. Ride in a group long distance and see what you notice first. The helmet or the light. Its not only about the brightness. its the vertical level. Above everything else. Not backgrounded by anything else. As I said before, like a beacon.

Last edited by ebonho : 21st October 2014 at 15:44.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 16:42   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Its is supposed to provide protection to the exposed face from branches and brush while dirtrodding and ducking through trees and foliage. Its also great to keep the sun (and rain) off your exposed face.
Yet again, biggest advantage missed doc. Get yourself an orange / yellow visor (on preferably a green helmet) and viola, you are Master Chief

The Icon Variant helmet nails this look the best. Love it!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Chief_(Halo)

Quote:
Chacha showed the puppies a thing or two about riding in Australia - did he not?
What the hell was happening. It was like blink and you'll miss a crash, right till the last lap. I had my mouth on the floor when Crutchlow went down . Felt real bad when that happened, much more than Marquez's crash. Hope he manages to pick up in the next couple of races & bid farewell to Ducati in style

Quote:
Tried and tested (we always ride with lights on in the day time). You are welcome to try out for yourself. Ride in a group long distance and see what you notice first. The helmet or the light. Its not only about the brightness. its the vertical level. Above everything else. Not backgrounded by anything else. As I said before, like a beacon.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 21st October 2014 at 16:44.
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:48   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have never understood the purpose of the extended peak on a motocross helmet. What does it serve or do over a regular helmet?

One thing is for sure, your face will be more exposed to the elements cause you can't get a full visor on these lids.
Quote:
Ya the plain white looks really neat ..... that and the Red Bull one (though their Red Bull motocross versions in white and black are even better).

I'm wondering, is there any problem with wearing those peaked motocross helmets on the street/highway rides? Is the wind noise more? Does the peak cause more wind buffeting at high speed?
Just my 2 cents on motocross helmet - Not recommended for road riding. not safe for trail riding either - except that it gives a "RACY" feel.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764001

This is a gory thread, but discusses some valid points Motocross vs Dual Sport.

Disclaimer: These are only views of different riders and not necessarily the Gospel of helmet use.

Cheers & Safe riding!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:06   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shubz. Had read most of the advrider and thumpertalk stuff already. I'll get the motocross one for my son.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 16:04   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Look what happened to my almost 1 year old SOL helmet liners:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141021_095617444.jpg

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 22nd October 2014 at 16:06.
Old 22nd October 2014, 18:36   #1521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Look what happened to my almost 1 year old SOL helmet liners:

Attachment 1301636

--Anoop
Exactly the same thing has happened to my SOL helmet also. However other than the outside part the inside part is pretty undamaged. Hence using it. But yes, this should not happen
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:43   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Exactly the same thing has happened to my SOL helmet also. However other than the outside part the inside part is pretty undamaged. Hence using it. But yes, this should not happen
Yes, the damage is only on the outside part, but still, it pains to see the damage in just 1 year, after paying a nice sum for this lid. I only hope the lid have had better quality check than the liner

--Anoop
Old 29th October 2014, 23:21   #1523
BHPian

Got myself a new lid last weekend, after I found my old Cross Outlaw too loose for the new steed. It works ok for slower commuting, so I'll be retaining it for a while more.

Here's the new helmet - MT Blade , just under 5k. Initially I had the Revenge Limited Evo in mind, but the shop didn't have the right size. I tried the Blade series, similar shell/quality but not SHARP rated. There was a black with orange stripe I really liked, but being a type with inner sun-visor, I thought it will have less thick liner , hence less safe than plain (without sun visor) helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc_4802.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc_4803.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc_4804.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc_4805.jpg  

Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 11:04   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Got myself a new lid last weekend
Congrats Ricci. Very nice looking helmet. A very pertinent point you made about helmets with inner goggles having thinner liners. Had never thought of it that way. Food for thought.
Old 30th October 2014, 13:48   #1525
BHPian

Congrats Ricci. Thats a lovely Helmet. In fact, even I am in the market for a new lid. Pl share some details like cost, location of dealer, etc so that I may get one too. BTW, we both are using the same Grey Cross Outlaw helmets. I saw the pic in the meets section.

Cheers.
Old 31st October 2014, 16:41   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a Matt Black MT Axxis Full Face Helmet for the Northern HOG Ride to Pushkar. Great value at just around 4K. Made in Spain. Full European ECE and US DOT certified.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-helmet_5.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mt-helmet_4.jpg

More details and photos here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3568921
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 22:34   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrain View Post
Congrats Ricci. Thats a lovely Helmet. In fact, even I am in the market for a new lid. Pl share some details like cost, location of dealer, etc so that I may get one too. BTW, we both are using the same Grey Cross Outlaw helmets. I saw the pic in the meets section.

Cheers.
Thanks Doc , Coolrain. The lid cost INR 4975, also bough an extra visor for 850, from Pro Biker at MG Road, Camp, opposite Aurora Tower. There's another MT seller at Moto 101, Dhole Patil road, opposity Hotel Kapila. It's bang at the end of the lane before the first junction , if you take the lane adjacent to Ruby Hall Clinic going towards Madhuban/Nandu's .

Here is a very informative article on helmet ratings. It concludes that when it comes to helmet safety, more $$$ isn't necessarily safer. While you do pay more for better comfort features like removable liners, ventilation that works, pin-lock and sun-visors, some of the cheaper $100 helmets are as safe, or safer than $500-700 helmets.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Art...stHelmets.html

And you can check your helmet's SHARP ratings, if tested , here :
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Last edited by Ricci : 31st October 2014 at 23:00.
Old 1st November 2014, 09:13   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
also bough an extra visor for 850
Which one did you go in for Ricci, iridium or smoked? And what's your experience of riding with these tinted visors at night? I found the removal procedure of the visors in the MT helmet very good and a few seconds job unlike my THH which had a more cumbersome removal.

You are right about this model as well as my Axxis not having a Sharp rating but that does not make them any less effective. Great value for the quality.
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:40   #1529
BHPian

I have been wanting to go for a Nolan N62 Casey Stoner Replica since some time now, couldn't find it, any ideas where I can get it?
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:36   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikast_ap View Post
I have been wanting to go for a Nolan N62 Casey Stoner Replica since some time now, couldn't find it, any ideas where I can get it?
Check out Ultimate Auto Impex - they have the newer N64 Stoner replica model here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks