Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2014, 15:57   #1561
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This problem has been resolved as the Sena Bluetooth was not fitted properly. But, I feel AGV K3 is not conducive for bluetooth speakers as the helmet still is NOT completely comfortable
Yes its definitely not mean to house speakers as there is no recess for it, which most other helmets have.

Can you share how exactly did you mount the speakers ?
Old 24th November 2014, 16:00   #1562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Can you share how exactly did you mount the speakers ?
I have not done anything. I took the helmet to the Triumph dealership and one of the girls there was an expert. She removed the entire headset and refitted it back on within 20 minutes

My right ear used to pain a lot due to improper fittitment of foam pad and incorrect ear piece placement on the recess
Old 24th November 2014, 16:20   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not done anything. I took the helmet to the Triumph dealership and one of the girls there was an expert. She removed the entire headset and refitted it back on within 20 minutes

My right ear used to pain a lot due to improper fittitment of foam pad and incorrect ear piece placement on the recess
Is this how your speakers were placed in the helmet ?

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20141124_161239_289.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20141124_161719_682.jpg

There is only a slight recess on K3's cheekpads, no real recess to actually place speakers.
Old 24th November 2014, 17:41   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
This problem has been resolved as the Sena Bluetooth was not fitted properly. But, I feel AGV K3 is not conducive for bluetooth speakers as the helmet still is NOT completely comfortable

P.S: Btw, I sold the helmet so I dont need to worry about this anymore
Looks like i messed up during the placement of speakers
Glad that it was resolved!

P.S : Which one are you getting now?

Quote:
Is this how your speakers were placed in the helmet ?

There is only a slight recess on K3's cheekpads, no real recess to actually place speakers.
I placed the speakers inside the cheek pads and using them comfortably but the speakers in my HJC helmet sound a lot better & louder than the ones in AGV k3.

Not sure why AGV missed the recess on this which other wise is a perfect helmet
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 19:04   #1565
BHPian

I am looking for some advice regarding choosing a helmet.

My scooter rides are limited to short errands (1-2 kms) or short ride to office (1 km). I wear prescription sunglasses or clear glasses while riding so I am not sure if I need a double visor.

What type of helmet should I choose for scooter riding - cruise or full? Any specific features I check for. Safety is the most important thing - is there some certification or other things I should look for in this regard.
Old 24th November 2014, 22:11   #1566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
I am looking for some advice regarding choosing a helmet.

My scooter rides are limited to short errands (1-2 kms) or short ride to office (1 km). I wear prescription sunglasses or clear glasses while riding so I am not sure if I need a double visor.

What type of helmet should I choose for scooter riding - cruise or full? Any specific features I check for. Safety is the most important thing - is there some certification or other things I should look for in this regard.
Always, always, always, a full face helmet.

As for certification, the ISI is mandatory.

A step above that is ECE certification. And the top of it all is the DOT certification.

So, DOT > ECE > ISI

SHARP ratings are a good measure of safety as well. Try to get a helmet that has been tested by SHARP and has a minimum of 4 stars.

A shout out to everyone looking to buy a helmet, don't skimp out on paying a little more for some added protection. The helmet may cost you Rs. 2000 more, but on that one fateful day, you will thank your stars that you saved your head and lakhs of rupees on expensive head injury treatment. It's not a luxury, you are essentially paying to secure your head.

For those thinking that slow speeds can't cause much harm, a fellow member suffered a tiny skull fracture after having a low speed fall right outside his house.

I would anyday recommend the KYT or the MT for those on a budget. The MT in particular, considering the 5 star SHARP rating. As for LS2, don't go by the sticker on the visor for the SHARP rating. They ended up sticking a 4 star SHARP rating on a helmet I had for one day when in reality, it had only 1 star.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 22:31   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Always, always, always, a full face helmet.

As for certification, the ISI is mandatory.

A step above that is ECE certification. And the top of it all is the DOT certification.

So, DOT > ECE > ISI

SHARP ratings are a good measure of safety as well. Try to get a helmet that has been tested by SHARP and has a minimum of 4 stars.

A shout out to everyone looking to buy a helmet, don't skimp out on paying a little more for some added protection. The helmet may cost you Rs. 2000 more, but on that one fateful day, you will thank your stars that you saved your head and lakhs of rupees on expensive head injury treatment. It's not a luxury, you are essentially paying to secure your head.

For those thinking that slow speeds can't cause much harm, a fellow member suffered a tiny skull fracture after having a low speed fall right outside his house.

I would anyday recommend the KYT or the MT for those on a budget. The MT in particular, considering the 5 star SHARP rating. As for LS2, don't go by the sticker on the visor for the SHARP rating. They ended up sticking a 4 star SHARP rating on a helmet I had for one day when in reality, it had only 1 star.
Appreciate the quick response. I visited a couple of shops today and all they had were Studds, Vega and a few other brands. The saleman was pushing Studds and Vega cruiser helmets saying that some models were being exported and are international quality. I am happy I decided not to impulse buy. Now I have to find a shop that sells KYT or MT helmets in Coimbatore. Anyone know of where I can find them in Coimbatore please give me a shout.
Old 24th November 2014, 22:48   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
Appreciate the quick response. I visited a couple of shops today and all they had were Studds, Vega and a few other brands. The saleman was pushing Studds and Vega cruiser helmets saying that some models were being exported and are international quality. I am happy I decided not to impulse buy. Now I have to find a shop that sells KYT or MT helmets in Coimbatore. Anyone know of where I can find them in Coimbatore please give me a shout.
Yeah, I wanted to buy MT too. Until the shopkeeper swayed my mind my mind to buy a more profit-yielding LS2.

You can try online shopping.

Amazon.in - KYT
PlanetDSG.com - KYT
http://spartanprogear.com/ - MT

I am assuming all of them ship to Coimbatore.

Before placing the order, check the returns policy of the website. If you order a M and end up needing a L, the policy needs to be supportive.
Old 24th November 2014, 23:05   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
I placed the speakers inside the cheek pads and using them comfortably but the speakers in my HJC helmet sound a lot better & louder than the ones in AGV k3.
Inside the cheek pad? Can you please explain what exactly was done ?
Old 25th November 2014, 13:17   #1570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
P.S : Which one are you getting now?
HM, you were a great help in installing the bluetooth speaker in my AGV K3. But, due to the bad design of the helmet itself the installation isnt smooth enough.

I never felt very comfortable with the bluetooth on ( felt the helmet to be tigher than usual)

Anyways, my decision to sell was not due to this minor discomfort
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 20:50   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Inside the cheek pad? Can you please explain what exactly was done ?
Remove the liners of helmet, place the speakers with the help of velcro they gave and then place the liners over it!

This is how my AGV looks like(with speakers placed inside)

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1028.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1026.jpg

Best regards,
harsha
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 23:51   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is how my AGV looks like(with speakers placed inside)
Hasn't this reduced the volume ?

If its behind the cheek pad then some amount of audio intensity would be cut I presume!?
Old 26th November 2014, 00:14   #1573
BHPian

Quote:

If its behind the cheek pad then some amount of audio intensity would be cut I presume!?
Actually no.. My Sena 20S' manual says that sound quality is improved if foam covering the speakers is in contact with ears.
Old 26th November 2014, 00:44   #1574
BHPian

Quote:

Like i said before, the volume in my AGV k3 is less when compared to same setup in HJC(might be due to design)

Actually, I havent tried with speakers outside the cheek pads.I advice you to try placing the speakers behind the pads and then you check it for yourself for the fit and intensity.

Hope this helps.
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 23:44   #1575

hi everyone. i am a newbie. please help me decide.
ls2 vs kyt vs mt.???? which brand is better?
please send me links to the models under INR4000
thanks in anticipation.

Note from Support - Please avoid typing with excessive dots in between words. Kindly type in full English for better readability.

Please read the forum rules here before posting any further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd December 2014 at 12:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks