Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2016, 10:43   #1921
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I need serious suggestions on this "Wind Noise" business!

If you remember I had whined about the pressure point on my forehead with the Shoei?

Ok -- here is a small update. It was perhaps the seating position on the Fatboy that was creating the pressure point on one side of the forehead.

I used the same Shoei on my Multistrada - and rode about 400 plus KMS -- very very minute amount of pressure felt.

The real problem now is -- WIND NOISE! Damn thing roars inside the helmet. inspite of it sitting snug on me.

So any theories?

Solution I guess is : Go Arai! LoL!
Well, you could use earplugs and a balaclava as a preliminary step.

However, on my SOL, since it came with a million vents, I just stuffed cotton in all of them. It's perfect in traffic, and not as noisy when I go touring. I also realized that the helmet wasn't in the proper position on my head (as in, it was tilted too far upward). Once I fixed that, there was a drastic reduction in wind noise.

Not saying all this will work on your Shoei, but it's worth a try.
Old 10th February 2016, 12:35   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Errrrm... I actually forgot to add that I never wear helmets without the Balaclava. Ear Plugs - I got to try. Either the soft 3M one's or something else.

I had got those dB killer ear plugs. but felt weird wearing them. Should try them.

Else - eyeing Suomy or Arai (Ducati Theme)
Old 10th February 2016, 12:43   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Axor is DOT certified. I haven't used it personally so can't comment on the quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
I don't know much about Axor except that it is premium quality helmet from Vega.
Axor is an Italian brand marketed by Vega. Some models are manufactured by Vega and sold under the Axor brand and some are sold as Vega. I picked up an imported one ECE certified. Was on sale and I got it foe Rs.2500/-. Have been using it on my Duke 390 and quite happy with it.
Old 10th February 2016, 12:44   #1924
BHPian

I am looking for a helmet for my RE Thunderbird for around 5k. The MT Revenge has got a lot of positive reviews on this thread. Is it my best best? Is it the cheapest Sharp 5 star rated helmet available in India?
Old 10th February 2016, 12:54   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
I am looking for a helmet for my RE Thunderbird for around 5k. The MT Revenge has got a lot of positive reviews on this thread. Is it my best best? Is it the cheapest Sharp 5 star rated helmet available in India?
Yes, it's the cheapest SHARP rated helmet in India. But issue's that it's not in production anymore. Why don't you look at the other similarly priced MT helmets? They are equally good.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 17:47   #1926
BHPian

Has anyone bought Marushin helmet (77x, 88x, 99x) recently? The info here is too old and there is a seller that has popped up in Hyderabad selling online through facebook. Though this helmet is TOP CLASS in terms of SHARP safety, lightweight and design, I am doubtful if its the real deal. Ali express sells hundreds of these and dont want to spend dough on a fake. any information would be helpful! thanks!
Old 11th February 2016, 12:05   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Yes, it's the cheapest SHARP rated helmet in India. But issue's that it's not in production anymore. Why don't you look at the other similarly priced MT helmets? They are equally good.
Damnit. I don't think any of the other MT helmets are SHARP rated. Are there other SHARP rated helmets in this price range? How good are Lazer helmets?
Old 11th February 2016, 12:54   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
Damnit. I don't think any of the other MT helmets are SHARP rated. Are there other SHARP rated helmets in this price range? How good are Lazer helmets?
Yes, I don't think any of the other MT helmets have SHARP rating. I might be mistaken though. Lazer is good, but the budget will have to be raised.
Old 11th February 2016, 21:07   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Yes, I don't think any of the other MT helmets have SHARP rating. I might be mistaken though. Lazer is good, but the budget will have to be raised.
The MT Revenge had a 5 star SHARP rating but sadly, it's not in production anymore. The MT Blade too is a SHARP certified helmet albeit with 3 stars.

Here's the link : MT Blade - SHARP
Old 12th February 2016, 09:50   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_cherian View Post
The MT Blade too is a SHARP certified helmet albeit with 3 stars.
Ya, I was looking for a SHARP 5 star rated helmet. Might have to settle for this one.

Quote:
The MT Revenge had a 5 star SHARP rating but sadly, it's not in production anymore.
It's not available in the market but I don't know why MT has it listed in their 2016 Catalog.
http://mthelmets.com/catalogo-2016/
Old 12th February 2016, 15:07   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I got some time to visit the DJ Helmets, Edappally, Kochi which is the official dealer for SPG and picked up a Kranos Imola Flag full face helmet at INR 3.7K.

I spent about an hour and a half checking almost all helmets ranging from Steelbird to AGV and some riding gears. Made sure that Kranos was best in that budget. Kranos is the lightest in DOT/ECE certified helmets with 1350-1450g when most weighed above 1500g. Axor is the cheapest DOT certified at INR 2.6K but not comfy for my head. Shall post pictures and feedback after the weekend usage.

Wanted to update that Steelbird has launched its Air series of helmets with air vents, detachable paddings etc and surprisingly they weigh as low as 1100g. Though not a DOT/ECE certified helmet, its still worth a try. Even I am thinking of getting one for my pillion since the quality is impressive. Price range is INR 1.5 to 1.8K.

Last edited by jacs : 12th February 2016 at 15:12.
Old 14th February 2016, 20:50   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Will you be buying locally or getting it from phoren?

Also, how long have you had the MT for?
Locally, limited options sourcing from abroad, but most crucially try-before-buy is not even an option for most models, given the dearth of models locally available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Since you mention the quietness factor, I would suggest you pick from the HJC range which comfortably fall within your budget. The CL17 which I used was definitely quiet though it is heavier than some of the other options. The IS series is similar but adds an inner sun visor.

I am using the Nolan N86 which retails for 20K in India. It is loud when compared to the HJC CL17, even with the vents closed.
I have seen the N86 series online, don't seem bad but yet to physically see and feel them. All I have seen locally are AGV , Scorpion, Bell , HJC and AFX. The Arai and Shoei ones seem too costly, so looks like I have to choose from AGV/Nolan/Shark/Scorpion.
Quietness I can still deal with earplugs, though inherent quietness is much preferable than blocking sound via ear plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Ricci bhai -- You should try the AGV K3 - K5 series. all in and around the 20K range. or Shark S series -- good vision range.
Yes Shubh, I want to try a model before buying, else ordering online from abroad is hardly a task. Helmets are crucial from usability, and in a race crouch some additional demands need to be met.
Old 15th February 2016, 17:27   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Yesterday I got some time to visit the DJ Helmets, Edappally, Kochi which is the official dealer for SPG and picked up a Kranos Imola Flag full face helmet at INR 3.7K.

Shall post pictures and feedback after the weekend usage.

Inaugural ride with Kranos began last Saturday. Used it in a four hour long ride as well as couple of short rides and here's my initial feedback.

Kranos came in a drawstring silicon bag which is ideal to store the helmet from dust and scratches.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20160211_21_15_52_pro.jpg

This is the Imola Future design which I chose from Internet even before visiting the store and I was fortunate to get my size "L" in same design though the display piece was "XL".
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20160211_21_16_39_pro.jpg

It came with a Plain scratch resistant visor and rainbow visor was an optional accessory at INR 800. It has got three closable air inlets which provides adequate ventilation. Unable to comment on wind noise as my speeds were always two digit and not having experience with any better ones.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20160211_21_16_52_pro.jpg

DOT & ECE Certified.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20160211_21_17_06_pro.jpg

Detachable & washable paddings. Well, its not an easy-to buckle.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20160211_21_17_29_pro.jpg

Its me wearing the Kranos
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20160211_21_24_29_pro.jpg

As you could see in the above pic, the helmet is snug fit and yet to break in. My right ears were aching after about 30 minutes of ride which is the only worry as of now.
Old 17th February 2016, 17:42   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Inaugural ride with Kranos began last Saturday.

My right ears were aching after about 30 minutes of ride which is the only worry as of now.
Congrats, the lid looks nice

Just a recommendation - many a times, the cheekpad fold up as we pull the helmet down onto our head. This can often go un noticed at first, but after some time, the "up-turned" pads keep pressing against your ears and causes a LOT of pain

Try this:

- Before wearing the helmet, hold the straps and spread them as wide apart as you can to get a wide opening for your head to go in
- After wearing the helmet, get your hand into the helmet's sides and reach for the pads. Give the pads a light brush to make sure its all nice and even and has not bunched up

Hope this helps
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 09:58   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats, the lid looks nice

Just a recommendation - many a times, the cheekpad fold up as we pull the helmet down onto our head. This can often go un noticed at first, but after some time, the "up-turned" pads keep pressing against your ears and causes a LOT of pain

Try this:
- Before wearing the helmet, hold the straps and spread them as wide apart as you can to get a wide opening for your head to go in

Thanks Bro. Already started practicing the above tip and noticed my ears are going inside easier.

Quote:
- After wearing the helmet, get your hand into the helmet's sides and reach for the pads. Give the pads a light brush to make sure its all nice and even and has not bunched up

Hope this helps
Snug fit to the fullest and my fingers are not reaching the ears through the pads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks