Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 17:55   #871
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

All the riding pants mention 'knee pads' and not 'knee guards'. So, are both the same thing itself or knee guards (the ones sold for 3-5k) offer better protection than knee pads inside the riding pants?
Old 16th April 2012, 18:00   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
All the riding pants mention 'knee pads' and not 'knee guards'. So, are both the same thing itself or knee guards (the ones sold for 3-5k) offer better protection than knee pads inside the riding pants?
Knee guards are made of hard plastic with a foam lining so it provides maximum abrasion resistance. The foam lining in these knee guards is not much so the impact resistance or protection offered is minimal. Compared to riding pants these are much more comfortable and easy to wear and remove.

Riding pants are just like jackets - very few vents so it gets pretty hot to ride in them but are far better in protection than the plain jane knee guards. And in addition, pants have padding in the hip, buttocks and thigh region and can be zipped onto some jackets. This zip-up feature ensures that the jacket does not slip upwards leading to abrasion on the back or torso region when one slides on tarmac. Riding pants have knee pads which have a thick layer of impact absorbing foam and the pants themselves are made of denier or cordura material adding a good amount of abrasion resistance/protection as well.

Last edited by n_aditya : 16th April 2012 at 18:03.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 19:42   #873
BHPian

Re: A* vs RJays vs DSG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Mesh jackets will be more comfortable in summer since they allow for more air circulation and ventilation but when it comes to abrasion resistance they fare poorly compared to their counterparts which are made of cordura or leather.

Almost all jackets come with a removable rain/warm liner so thats not a worry in monsoons or winter.

The Nero is a very heavy jacket and will cook you in summer if you're riding in traffic. On the move, its fine since it has good amount of vents to flush out hot air from inside the jacket.

I would suggest either the A* or the Rjays since the protection level offered by these jackets is very good.
Thanks Aditya,
I would always prefer the mesh jackets as they are kind of "all season jackets" with inner waterproof liner. Here is my take on the options -
A* - Best brand (But without inner liners)
DSG Nero - Not good (Relatively) for street riding
DSG Maze - Leather Construction for shoulders - Not good for rainy season in Pune
RJays Octane - Better feedback than DSG! Inner waterproof liner.
I think RJays Octane suits me best. (But i read somewhere that the finish is not as good as you expect for 7.5 K. Threads coming out & velcro not holding good)
So I am planning to visit Mumbai & buy out stuff. Might purchase RJays Octane & live with minor finishing issues)
Correct me if I am wrong in the above analysis.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:55   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinMakhija View Post
Thanks Aditya,
I would always prefer the mesh jackets as they are kind of "all season jackets" with inner waterproof liner. Correct me if I am wrong in the above analysis.
Glad to help Nitin.

Mesh is best suited for our weather so go ahead with what you are comfortable with. Minor finishing issues exist with big brands too like A*. I bought a pair of A* knee guards last year for around 5k and after 6 months the velcro straps refused to stick. Had to buy some velcro strips and get them stitched on the existing ones. Now they dont snap off while i am riding. And these are Made in Italy ones not the Chinese made Alpinestars.

That said, the chinese made A* products need not be necessarily fake. Production houses exist in China for big brands to keep manufacturing costs (or labor costs) low. Quality sometimes is a notch lower than the ones made in other parts of the world but this is not a rule.

Last edited by n_aditya : 17th April 2012 at 10:57.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:35   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Minor finishing issues exist with big brands too like A*. I bought a pair of A* knee guards last year for around 5k and after 6 months the velcro straps refused to stick.
seriously?

i've been wanting to buy a knee guard for some time now, but never came across something i liked and in my budget. i've been contemplating buying 'em AlpineStar knee guards ever since i saw you wearing them (at CCD) , but now i wonder if i should.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:57   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
seriously?

i've been wanting to buy a knee guard for some time now, but never came across something i liked and in my budget. i've been contemplating buying 'em AlpineStar knee guards ever since i saw you wearing them (at CCD) , but now i wonder if i should.
Not kidding Sir. Next time we meet, i'll show you the knee guards and you can see strips of velcro stitched onto the straps. Does not look ugly though and it sticks much better than when it was new

The "stock" velcro straps were very soft and smooth and every time I stuck them and removed them they wore off.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:53   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not kidding Sir. Next time we meet, i'll show you the knee guards and you can see strips of velcro stitched onto the straps. Does not look ugly though and it sticks much better than when it was new

The "stock" velcro straps were very soft and smooth and every time I stuck them and removed them they wore off.
I was also planning to get the AlpineStars knee guard but finally landed the MSR Reflex knee guards at Revzilla - MSR Reflex Knee/Shin Guards - RevZilla

These knee guards use velcro - but it is a one time fix. You adjust the strap to the size you need and can fix it. After that it is just a snap on and off using clips. So you don't have to use the velcro straps everytime. Nice design. After that accident at Horseley Hills, I'd rather wear knee guards than no guards or even trust the knee protection that is provided in riding pants!
Old 17th April 2012, 16:02   #878
BHPian

Quote:

The velcro strips on my A* jackets came off the plastic strap in 2 days flat. Will post a pic so you guys can understand what I mean. Expensive gear does not necessarily mean best in terms of quality.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:06   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post
Expensive gear does not necessarily mean best in terms of quality.
yeah, you can say that again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I was also planning to get the AlpineStars knee guard but finally landed the MSR Reflex knee guards at Revzilla - MSR Reflex Knee/Shin Guards - RevZilla
how much did it come up to including shipping? or did you ship it within US and got a friend to get it for ya?
Old 17th April 2012, 16:18   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
how much did it come up to including shipping? or did you ship it within US and got a friend to get it for ya?
Yes, I'd shipped it to my sis in the US and got a relative to get it when coming back. Thankfully she was able to bully this person to bring it back. Usually even friends baulk at having to bring back bulky riding gear - though this is quite lightweight!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 16:25   #881
Team-BHP Support

I bought my EVS knee guards from Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Gear and Motorcycle Accessories - Cycle Gear

Over one and half years of usage and the velcro is still as good as new.
Old 20th April 2012, 12:56   #882
BHPian

Finally got myself the ridding jacket.
After all the try and comparison between Cramster and Rjays I went for the Rjay.

Rjays swift in black and grey.
Cost me Rs4999.
The quality of the product is good. It looks nice when worn. Makes you look well built with those shoulder pads
Finding it a little difficult to position the elbow guards at a comfortable place.
Yet to ride with it. Hope it does not drain me in Chennai heat.

Next stop is Knee guards and gloves.
Really like the A* smx gloves.
Give me some suggestions folks. Thanks.
Old 20th April 2012, 22:03   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post

Next stop is Knee guards and gloves.
Really like the A* smx gloves.
Give me some suggestions folks. Thanks.
From personal experience, this is what I would suggest:

1) Buy either Alpinestars SPS or the SMX gloves. Short gloves are a boon in city riding and it does not heat up much during warm weather. I am on my second pair of A-star SPS glove and don't think I will switch to anything else. But it is important that you try the gloves on before you buy.

2) Make sure you have leather coverage on the inside of your hand (palm and below the fingers). That area takes the maximum brunt during a low-side!

2) Knee guards restrict the natural range of motion and feels restrictive at times. Velcro failure is also common after some period of use. If you can, go for a riding pant with an integrated knee armor.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:20   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Finally got myself the ridding jacket.
Finding it a little difficult to position the elbow guards at a comfortable place.
Yet to ride with it. Hope it does not drain me in Chennai heat.
Initially the elbow portion does feel bit awkward but if you notice while riding the bike the elbow guards fall in the right place. Try to keep the elbow adjustment to loose (on the first button) so that when your elbows bend you don't get that cramped feeling.

Also, as long as your bike is moving you feel ok but if the traffic stops are more than a minute, expect a sweaty shirt. I really got drenched in my own sweat last week within just twenty minutes of riding, here in Bangalore. But as they say: It's better to sweat than bleed.
Old 24th April 2012, 14:12   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
From personal experience, this is what I would suggest:

But it is important that you try the gloves on before you buy.

2) Make sure you have leather coverage on the inside of your hand (palm and below the fingers). That area takes the maximum brunt during a low-side!

2) Knee guards restrict the natural range of motion and feels restrictive at times. Velcro failure is also common after some period of use. If you can, go for a riding pant with an integrated knee armor.
I want to try alpinestar for the fit, but I don't think there is any showroom/dealer in chennai, so contemplating.
About the knee guard, its just an added protection to nothing. It will be impossible to use riding pants in chennai heat.
I wish i was somewhere colder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Initially the elbow portion does feel bit awkward but if you notice while riding the bike the elbow guards fall in the right place. Try to keep the elbow adjustment to loose (on the first button) so that when your elbows bend you don't get that cramped feeling.

Also, as long as your bike is moving you feel ok but if the traffic stops are more than a minute, expect a sweaty shirt. I really got drenched in my own sweat last week within just twenty minutes of riding, here in Bangalore. But as they say: It's better to sweat than bleed.
You right about the elbow guard.
I will never ride with the rain shield. Its more peaceful and airy without that to ride inside city. I don't want to bleed or sweat.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-dsc00244.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks