Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
Hi Aargee...the helmet was concerned
You're speaking my mind; this is exactly what I'm experiencing

Quote:
the helmet itself is very well fitted on my head
Exactly; despite the howling noise, the helmet is super fit on my head & extremely comfortable & don't feel like there's one in my head; for me, its a little more than snug fit

Quote:
If wind noise...as hearing is a 'sense' I rely heavily on, while on the road).
I would like to live with the noise because, like you, I don't want to loose the hearing sense...especially when riding in India
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 19:14   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I would like to live with the noise because, like you, I don't want to loose the hearing sense...especially when riding in India
I've heard good things about the Schuberth S1 on the noise front, do you have any experience with that? I've never used it before, so don't know much about it first hand.
The MT is going to be designated my city ride helmet once my main helmet arrives. Hope that will be a better performer in this aspect
Old 16th January 2015, 20:50   #2088
BHPian

Any suggestions for knee guards? I would be preferring to buy from shop rather online (maybe a2z motorsports @ bhandup).
Old 18th January 2015, 10:24   #2089
BHPian

I am also looking for knee guards that can be worn inside regular jeans during rides to the Office. Planning to go for the Thor Quadrant for 3.6 K
The Riding Gear thread-thorquadrantkneeguards12342p.jpg
or the Spartan Perseus for 2.6 K
The Riding Gear thread-spartan.jpg

Experts please comment if there is anything is against these products, the best choice among the two and also whether there are any other options available in the price range.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 18th January 2015 at 10:27.
Old 18th January 2015, 10:44   #2090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I am also looking...available in the price range.
regards adrian
Having used similar products from Thor & Fox Titan, all I would suggest are...
1. Ensure Perseus doesn't irritate the skin on wearing prolonged periods due to sweat
2. Pick up the Thor Quadrant's size that has velcro that barely reaches, for a simple reason, after using a year or so, the velcro loosens & the guard starts moving even when walking. You can choose to fasten it tighter, but, the velcro will give up sooner

My suggestion have always been to try with a bionic knee guard, that should last longer & protect better.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 12:42   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
I am also looking for knee guards that can be worn inside regular jeans during rides to the office.
or the Spartan Perseus for 2.6 K
I'm no expert, but have been using the SPG Perseus quite extensively this week. It was a little irritating the first time I wore it, in the sense that I felt a little uncomfortable and constantly felt the alien presence of the protector. However, as I've continued to use it, it's become more comfortable to the point that I forget it's there. Having said that, couple of points you should consider:
- it's a bugger to get on and take off. Tore mine on the netting side (near the calf) the first time I wore it.
- it does have the tendency to keep slipping down. I feel it more on my left knee than the right, could be something to do with the way I tighten the velcro maybe.
- on the protection front itself, I don't know the difference between the Thor vis-a-vis the SPG. The Thor does look a bit more 'sturdy' though?

Last edited by AnkurS : 18th January 2015 at 12:43.
AnkurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 19:49   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My suggestion have always been to try with a bionic knee guard, that should last longer & protect better.
Thank you aargee, I totally agree with you that the bionic knee guards are better in the protection department. It is OK for the highways. But if you are going into a mall or a bank, then you become the laughing stock. Being a person who wears the DSG Nero to my Office commute, I have come across funny comments from colleagues as well as other bikers. Usually I am cool with these comments, but then there were times when I asked people to mind their own business.
The enforcement's attitude has been positive for me till date. They never stopped me or stared at me for the reason I am in full riding gear and when they stopped me for document verification, all I have to face is a friendly " If you have all the documents, you may go" along with some inquiries about my Bullet

Quote:
- on the protection front itself, I don't know the difference between the Thor vis-a-vis the SPG. The Thor does look a bit more 'sturdy' though?
Thank you AnkurS. I am leaned more towards the Thor Quadrant due to the features specified in the following review, the patella donut being one.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/thor-knee-guards/
The Riding Gear thread-thorkneeguardsinsidepatelladonut.jpg
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 18th January 2015 at 19:50.
Old 21st January 2015, 15:14   #2093
BHPian

Folks, not sure it this has been discussed. I'm planning to get riding pants and zeroed on Cramster Velocity and Aspida Proteus. Would like to know which is a better choice from your point of view. Any alternatives to the two? Thanks!
Old 21st January 2015, 16:19   #2094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
Folks, not sure it this has been discussed. I'm planning to get riding pants and zeroed on Cramster Velocity and Aspida Proteus. Would like to know which is a better choice from your point of view. Any alternatives to the two? Thanks!
Rakesh sir,

You are asking to choose between the devil and the deep sea! My buddies have used both and have only anguish to share in terms of quality and sizing.

One friend who had the Proteus - stitches started to give away and the local seller is not very helpful with the after sales - all you get is a "talk to them directly, we only sell the products" attitude.

So - Look beyond - Go Dainese! or Even Rjays!
Old 21st January 2015, 18:52   #2095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
Rakesh,

I would say go ahead and get RJays. They are way better and comfortable product. Me and my buddies are using RJays products since last 3years and regularly. Haven't faced a single issue till date (Some had pretty bad and multiple falls too).

Its worth the premium paid
Old 21st January 2015, 19:42   #2096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am also looking for knee guards that can be worn inside regular jeans during rides to the Office.
Experts please comment if there is anything is against these products, the best choice among the two and also whether there are any other options available in the price range.
regards adrian
Go for Thor. My friend has a thor and me uses a Perzeus. Pezeus fitting elastic loses its strength within 6 months. Elastic starts coming off from edges. Besides the armour is Knox flexiform armor which provides good shock absorption but bad scrapping resistance. Max i have worn is 10 hours under jeans and they tend to get uncomfortable after 6 hours. They also slide down if you walk a bit fast.

Thor is well built. My friend also crash tested it and it passed with flying colors
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 22:43   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Rakesh sir,

You are asking to choose between the devil and the deep sea! the local seller is not very helpful with the after sales - all you get is a "talk to them directly, we only sell the products" attitude.

So - Look beyond - Go Dainese! or Even Rjays!
Thanks for the info. Can you please tell who is the local seller in question here so that the members can be aware of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Go for Thor. My friend has a thor and me uses a Perzeus. Pezeus fitting elastic loses its strength within 6 months.

Thor is well built. My friend also crash tested it and it passed with flying colors
My Perseus' elastic has already loosened up a bit within 1 month

I'm pretty sure that all my future expensive riding gear purchases will be from reputed International brands. These local guys provide good quality and service at first, then start turning their backs when they start becoming famous. Not to mention, they charge a premium too due to the lack of competition.
Old 21st January 2015, 22:46   #2098
Senior - BHPian

I don't blame the sellers. They are only empowered as much. That is ridiculous. They should be empowered to service the customers if they report complaints. But they are not. Customers are left to the mercy of the suppliers who are located in some other city. They don't answer emails. They don't return calls. It was tough for my buddy to get the replacement from Spartan. So I recommend Dainese anyday Rjays too.
Old 21st January 2015, 22:49   #2099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
My Perseus' elastic has already loosened up a bit within 1 month

I'm pretty sure that all my future expensive riding gear purchases will be from reputed International brands. These local guys provide good quality and service at first, then start turning their backs when they start becoming famous. Not to mention, they charge a premium too due to the lack of competition.

It is not bad per-say . But protection it offers is very limited. And is not suitable for people with stout thighs.
Old 21st January 2015, 23:01   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I don't blame the sellers. They are only empowered as much.
So I recommend Dainese anyday Rjays too.
I don't earn enough ATM to buy Dainese
Rjays is something that I can consider for my pants purchase when I get back to touring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
It is not bad per-say . But protection it offers is very limited. And is not suitable for people with stout thighs.
I feel these guards are suitable for city use only. It moves around too easily to provide enough protection at higher speed impacts.

I'm looking to get a pair of small riding boots for daily commute. Looks like Spartan(Chaos) is the only brand that sells such boots in India(around INR 5k). No choice but to go to Spartan again it seems.
Also, got to know that Moto 101 has opened an outlet in BLR. Unfortunately, it is owned by the painful Megha Enterprises guy. It'd have been cool if it was opened by a bike enthusiast like the Mumbai outlet, instead of a typical Indian shop keeper.

Last edited by theredliner : 21st January 2015 at 23:04.

Most Viewed