Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2016, 12:50   #2836
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Finally bought a pair of these.
I bought the same pair from Bikingspirit yesterday (with the green stripe) and I agree, they are very comfortable. I tried the Aspida's but they were tight and pushing on my thumb nail and quite uncomfortable.
Old 20th June 2016, 15:46   #2837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I bought the same pair from Bikingspirit yesterday (with the green stripe) and I agree, they are very comfortable.
If only these were full leather gloves. The fit and finish is top notch though but only time will tell how long these last.
Old 20th June 2016, 22:16   #2838
BHPian

Zauba shows the below data when searched for 'Alpinestars' and 'Dainese'. I was wondering how do the premium riding gear stores across the country are procuring the riding gear. Someone please shed some light on this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-capture.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-capture1.jpg  

Old 21st June 2016, 17:23   #2839
Senior - BHPian

Rynox Advento - Initial impressions and quick review

I have been using a pair of Cramster riding pants for the last 9 years (including more than 3 years of daily use) and the heavy use at last took its toll and I was in market searching for a replacement.

My initial plan was to buy Rev'it Airwaves after seeing them in person (fellow member Sojogator uses them), but then I decided it is a risky proposition buying the pants without checking the fit so, I was looking for a pair of decent riding pants which I can check and buy locally.

Cramster was out of the equation due to recent stories of them going downhill on quality, so the options were either Rynox or Spartan. After initial round o f search and talking to few fellow riders, realized that Spartan have Knox knee armors, but Rynox Advento have Knox Knee and Hip armors and the knee armor is adjustable - rest all the features are more or less same. Went to LGU to try them and I liked them. The fit and finish are good and they come with a rain liner which is certainly useful for me. While checking out the pant, I realized that they have just one in stock in my size(XXL), so brought that on the spot. (That is when I met RedLiner at LGU).

After putting the pant through its paces for almost 15 hours, I am ready with a brief initial review of the same.

First, the good stuff:
  • They are made tough and feels like it will stand the trial.
  • The knee pads are adjustable and it is a huge boon. They are comfortable also - no digging into knee, no preassure points.
  • The knee pads are big and covers both knee and shin.
  • The hip armor fits well.
  • The pants have a grippy material at the seat of the pants, which helps you grip the seat well.
  • The have knee length zippers on the legs which helps me to drape them over my riding boots.
  • Rain liner which can be worn over the pants.

Stuff which could have been better:

Mesh - the pants don't have any mesh areas to speak of. Yes, there are two panels which are covered by the fabric and can be opened up, but more about them later. Since the pants comes with a rain liner, it would have been great if there are some mesh panels to aid the air flow.

Now for the worst part of the pants - the 'Aero Flip' system.

Quote:
Open-able AERO-FLIP™ Mesh Panels to ensure maximum ventilation when needed.
AERO-FLIP™ mechanism yet again is a unique feature which not only ensure there is ventilation only when required but also ensure that dust and muck does not settle directly on your skin due to the Mesh openings while riding through a dusty terrain by allowing you to close the Mesh panel in just a flip while you are on the go
But what the site don't tell is, you cant keep open the panel easily - while it is secure down with full length Velcro straps, it is kept open with the help of a single press button, and it is next to impossible to do it while wearing your gloves. On my pants, the fitting of button on one flap is loose, so it comes unhinged and flaps up and down when I ride. So, I can safely conclude that i will not be using the Aero Flip much.

But other than this minor irritant, I like the pants very much. Based on my initial impressions, the pants seems to be worth the price paid.

PS: I wear them as over-pants, over my formal pants to work.

Now, the pictures:

The front view
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_164753.jpg

The back view
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_164903.jpg

The Aero Flip Mechanism which hides the mesh area
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_164810.jpg

The side opening to cover ankle length boots (?)
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_164833.jpg

The knee length zippers
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_164915.jpg

The adjusting mechanism
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_164934.jpg

The knee & shin guard
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_164940.jpg

The knee & shin guard on my knee
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_165004-1.jpg

The hip armor
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_165049.jpg

The thermal liner
The Riding Gear thread-img_20160611_165527.jpg

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 21:19   #2840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

Now for the worst part of the pants - the 'Aero Flip' system.

But what the site don't tell is, you cant keep open the panel easily - while it is secure down with full length Velcro straps, it is kept open with the help of a single press button, and it is next to impossible to do it while wearing your gloves. On my pants, the fitting of button on one flap is loose, so it comes unhinged and flaps up and down when I ride. So, I can safely conclude that i will not be using the Aero Flip much.

--Anoop
Anoop, thanks for the review... Superb.

The aero flip works brilliantly for me. Nice cool air flows right in. I always wear Nike inners which wick away sweat. Or if in the city just my boxers. Which are also sweat wick fabric. This helps a great deal in keeping you dry and cool.

I have also not had a problem with the flip mechanism. I have kept it open on a 750+ km ride last week end and it worked without a cinch.

Very impressed with the pants. Just wish the knee armor could be tightened further... My calves are non existent and it's a little difficult to get a good snug fit. The armor also rides up a bit after I wear my mx adv boots and it's tough to readjust after the shoes are on.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 23:02   #2841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
My calves are non existent and it's a little difficult to get a good snug fit. The armor also rides up a bit after I wear my mx adv boots and it's tough to readjust after the shoes are on.
MX boots are taller than your average road boots and hence push the armor up. Have you tried tucking your pants into them? MX boots usually have a lot of space to cram stuff in as they are expected to take bulky knee braces, guards. That coupled with the not so bulky calves should make it rather easy IMO. Worth a shot

Out of curiosity, which MX boots are these? Some pics would be nice. A short review even better
Old 22nd June 2016, 05:43   #2842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
MX boots are taller than your average road boots and hence push the armor up. Have you tried tucking your pants into them? MX boots usually have a lot of space to cram stuff in as they are expected to take bulky knee braces, guards. That coupled with the not so bulky calves should make it rather easy IMO. Worth a shot

Out of curiosity, which MX boots are these? Some pics would be nice. A short review even better
Urban, thanks man.

I cram everything inside. Armor rides up a little. Not much, but it does. I have to sit about patiently and work on the fitment. Not 5 minutes before a ride lol.

These aren't mx boots, but are adventure ones, but the shin guard is mx height. TCX track Evo wp boots. Brilliant so far. Love them. Will put up a review soonish.

This is me with the boots on. Quite tall these shoes.

How do I keep the water proofing in place for suede leather boots like these. Niki wax? Prohibitively expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-1466554297869.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2016, 11:24   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anoop, thanks for the review... Superb.

The aero flip works brilliantly for me. Nice cool air flows right in. I always wear Nike inners which wick away sweat. Or if in the city just my boxers. Which are also sweat wick fabric. This helps a great deal in keeping you dry and cool.

I have also not had a problem with the flip mechanism. I have kept it open on a 750+ km ride last week end and it worked without a cinch.

Very impressed with the pants. Just wish the knee armor could be tightened further... My calves are non existent and it's a little difficult to get a good snug fit. The armor also rides up a bit after I wear my mx adv boots and it's tough to readjust after the shoes are on.
Thank you.

Glad to know that it works fine for you - so, it might be the case with the button of my pants. Oh, I forgot to add that while the flap is open, the air flow is good. I was pleasantly surprised with the air flow. But still, I would have preferred the pants to have some more mesh area.

I never wear my riding pants with only inner wear or boxers - I always use it as over pants (Jeans+riding pants on weekend rides and Formals+riding pants while riding to work) and the knee armor sits well. I have worn the pants with my riding booths (FOX Comp 5 MX Boots) only once and I tucked in the armor during that ride.

--Anoop
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:45   #2844
Distinguished - BHPian

Anoop, if using as over pants then you really do need pants with full mesh construction. You will bake in these whether on the highway or in the city.

These are pretty hot just with inners for me. I wonder how you do it.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:02   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anoop, if using as over pants then you really do need pants with full mesh construction. You will bake in these whether on the highway or in the city.

These are pretty hot just with inners for me. I wonder how you do it.
Unfortunately, there is next to no choice available locally, when it comes to over pants. My previous Cramster pants had lot of mesh, so it was ok - with these, I need to see how these fair in summer. Keeping my fingers crossed.

--Anoop
Old 29th June 2016, 18:36   #2846
Senior - BHPian

Been to LGU last week to fix my ADVBreed jacket - the runner of the zipper worn off and the zipper was not closing, so they took the jacket in and got the runner replaced. The Customer service experience was top notch. I gave the jacket by Saturday afternoon and they promised me that they will deliver it next day - but unfortunately, they couldn't pass over the jacket to the guy who fixes it. When i told Swapna that it is my daily wear, she got the jacket fixed with highest priority and handed it over to me on Sunday itself.

On one hand, there are lot of stores about parts failure on TBG gears (stitching coming off the jacket, Velcro coming off the gloves etc) but on the other hand, the TBG gears offers best in class protection and the customer service experience was always good.

After using the ADV Breed jacket for almost an year and after crash testing it once, I can vouch for their quality, but there will be some minor niggles - almost like a RE or a Fiat

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 29th June 2016 at 18:42.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 20:47   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Now, what does really make a difference in those situation? The answer to that as per me is your state of mind, a calm mind can actually make a difference between a rider freezing at the handle and making that split second decision whether you take it head on or slide down and reduce the impact if the obstacle is too massive to deflect.

Pramod
Totally Agree with Pramod here. A cool and calm mind can and does make a lot of difference. We should always be focused on the road and avoid distractions at all costs, this has helped me in a couple of tricky situations myself
Old 14th July 2016, 13:22   #2848
CGB
BHPian

Guys, I saw in Viaterra website, That they have added many cool stuffs. I am purchasing helmet bag for myself which looks uber cool.

http://viaterragear.com/shop/brands/...ls-helmet-bag/

Anyone purchased it before? If so, Can i get the feedback?
Old 14th July 2016, 20:51   #2849
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone use the Bionic type shorts? I was planning to get them and the Dainese Knee guards and put a Scorpion jeans over them. Does the Dianese gaurds work below the jeans?
Old 15th July 2016, 05:59   #2850
Senior - BHPian

The Riding Gear thread

Currently use these. Planning to get the knee guards and bionic armor with the Jeans. Highly recommend the Astar jacket and SMX1. Tried the SMX3. It offers more protection, but fit was an issue. Since the SMX2 was discontinued had to settle for this. Works well and flows air.

Planning to upgrade the rear padding on the jacket with nucleon back protector. Also added some bright ankle braces for added reflectivity.

Not fan of the Dainese gloves. Basically this was the perfect in fit only as I have short fingers. Offer protection and flows air but expensive and no touchscreen like the AStar.

The Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468542224.548336.jpgThe Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468542254.750231.jpgThe Riding Gear thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468542268.301486.jpg

Last edited by mail4ajo : 15th July 2016 at 06:01.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks