Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2009, 19:25   #1501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thank god for the side impact beams of the wagonR, which saved the underage idiots.

BTW, is that area Saket in South Delhi ?
No, its Janakpuri , near the popular "Temple-Church-Gurudwara" crossing.

Well, I saw the collision , as it happned. The boys in WagonR were driving crazy. The car did a 360 turn, before resting on the sidewalk.

The NHC hit the lower half, thus saving the younger boy, who fell on the rear seat as the car hit.

Note:- The NHC driver was saved by this belt, but had a neck spain, cos the belt held this body back on impact, giving jerk to neck. Here is where Airbags shoud have come into picture !!
Old 1st February 2009, 19:27   #1502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
raj_5004 : sir, any specific reason why you mentioned M&M here?
just two :
* M&M is the other big home-grown (help not factored) auto maker.
* you avatar of a Scorp.
Old 1st February 2009, 19:30   #1503
Senior - BHPian

I agree with phamilyman here, I think we should be using the word "Safe" here instead of "strong".

As long as the car can protect the occupants its built to be safe.. x, y or z models.
Old 1st February 2009, 19:32   #1504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I Happened to see this Indica today.the Indica was right behind us when we heard this huge screeching of tyres.and as we look behind we see this.
Apparently a broken suspension arm.I find it surprising why so many Indica's end up with this.
And thats why I fear owning Tata cars.And the company is a multinational steel maker.Wonder what goes wrong in the Tata scheme of things. At least this company has a great reputation but I am not sure that after being the leader in commercial vehicles for 5 decades (these traverse the length and breadth of our country) why their cars are so unreliable?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st February 2009 at 19:33.
Old 1st February 2009, 19:40   #1505
Team-BHP Support

In the WagonR and NHC both cars have not stood upto the impact well at all. The frornt passenger door in the WagonR has clearly caved in and the front passenger is plain lucky it has not gone and hit him on his left.

The fact that the NHC's footwell is deformed(note the footmats which have folded) which means that the driver/passenger might have hurt his legs.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:54   #1506
BHPian

Isnt fair to judge the crash by just the image, w/o knowing the precise dynamics of the crash and without test crash to compare this one too. If the crumple zones on the Honda did anything, they probably helped both cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The frornt passenger door in the WagonR has clearly caved in and the front passenger is plain lucky it has not gone and hit him on his left.
IMHO, that happened because of the fishy front design of the NHC, and the kind of impact, that almost bisected the A and B pillar.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:02   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Must we act as the jury? How much do we know about car design and the forensics of accident investigations?
Let us see the pics and learn HOW and WHEN such things can happen.
I would hate to JUDGE which car fared better! Please recall, Princess Diana died in a Merk!
Old 1st February 2009, 21:03   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
just two :
* M&M is the other big home-grown (help not factored) auto maker.
* you avatar of a Scorp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
And thats why I fear owning Tata cars.And the company is a multinational steel maker.Wonder what goes wrong in the Tata scheme of things. At least this company has a great reputation but I am not sure that after being the leader in commercial vehicles for 5 decades (these traverse the length and breadth of our country) why their cars are so unreliable?
you are not alone anjan!

condor, so i am not the only one who thinks that there MAYBE tata's fault in the accident too. if they can buck up a little bit and start emphasising a bit more on quality control, they can make one of the most practical cars for india.

anyways, lets move on, not a topic worth debating on!
Old 1st February 2009, 21:08   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

Ball Joints start to show their age starting anytime after 100,000 KM onwards. Some people dont learn lesson until worst happens, specially us Indians, or maybe i should say "kanjoos people"

This has happened to me on a Honda also (long story)

Ball joint should be replaced if it starts to make noise - do not wait for act of God.
Looks like this Indica driver was trying to save money, but is going to end up paying more now.

Such incidents are all over Google, even through basic search -
lower ball joint broken - Google Image Search

Now lets not blame the car manufacturer if you dont perform preventive maintenance and depend on God for everything.

Last edited by aerohit : 1st February 2009 at 21:16.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:12   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
you are not alone anjan!

condor, so i am not the only one who thinks that there MAYBE tata's fault in the accident too. if they can buck up a little bit and start emphasising a bit more on quality control, they can make one of the most practical cars for india.

anyways, lets move on, not a topic worth debating on!
oh wait, this can only happen to TATA

Old 1st February 2009, 21:14   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Now now, Raj, you don't suppose you are perhaps making a spectacle of yourself, do you? Talking about un-reliability of TATA is ridiculous, isn't it?
What I'm saying is, Raj, please desist. There are many distinguished reasons to believe that their quality and reliability is beyond reproach!
After all, it's the nut behind the wheel that clinches it, one way or the other.
Not forgetting that there are things that are quite simply 'acts of God'!
Old 1st February 2009, 21:16   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

Ball Joints start to show their age starting anytime after 100,000 KM onwards. Some people dont learn lesson until worst happens, specially us Indians, or maybe i should say "kanjoos Indians"

This has happened to me on a Honda also (long story)

Ball joint should be replaced if it starts to make noise - do not wait
Looks like this Indica driver was trying to save money, but is going to end up paying more now.
mate, that comment was not just because of the indica's accident. that was a general opinion based on personal experiences too.

as i said, i have seen, read & faced tata's pathetic quality control and the issues the customer faces because of it. and there is no shying away from it.

@ anupmathur: SIR, what more should i... or can i say now?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 1st February 2009 at 21:18.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:23   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The engine and gearbox have pushed against the firewall and into the cabin. The dashboard as a result has come forward and cracked the plastic.
Shouldn't it read as footwell?
Old 1st February 2009, 21:41   #1514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There's absolutely no need for interpretative song and dance, irrespective of the manufacturer one idolises
Quite true. There's been a lot of inferences which have been drawn about "build-quality" seeing accidents on this thread.
Old 1st February 2009, 23:06   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Please understand that the crumple zones in cars are meant to do just that - crumple.

While the WagonR took the impact as much on the axle (see the bent tyre) and side door - a little more and one of the boys would've been history.

There's absolutely no need for interpretative song and dance, irrespective of the manufacturer one idolises
The crumple zones are meant to crumple and absorb the energy impact, but not the passenger compartment. The passenger cabin is made as stiff as possible to prevent intrusion of any component of into passenger cabin.
Crumple zones are meant to crumple and while doing so, they absorb impact energy, but by no means should the passenger cabin be affected at this speed. The crack in plastic in passenger cabin shows that infact the cabin is not safe at all. And in this impact, its not that G2HC ran into a truck, it went into a car that is also designed to dissipate energy away from passenger compartment.

If we manage to see images of offset frontal impact from IIHS ( sorry if I have spelled wrong ) they show images if the footwell weldings or joints show rupture or if there is any type of deshaping or some irregularity in footwell.

This is after the SX4 was crashed into the barrier that was designed to represent rear or SUV.

EDIT :
Source : SX4, Matrix score Good on IIHS tests, PT Cruiser... not so much - Autoblog

Link from where image was taken : Autoblog
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tbhp_sx4_crash_large_3.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 1st February 2009 at 23:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks