Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 21:40   #27616
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Oh, the answer to that is simple, [i]N-E-V-E-R.
Do I feel sorry for the boy? Hell No, the parents? Well, not sure.
I am fairly sure, everyone makes mistakes in life. The lucky ones are those who come out only with a bruise and learn a lesson and never do that again.

I have done my fair share of stupidity, the two I remember :
(1) riding without a helmet (late 90s, teenager and stupid) - got a scar on my chin as a result of crashing on concrete
(2) Not understanding the limitations of a bike and navigating a curve (early 2000 thankfully wearing helmets this time, escaped with a minor bruise to my arm.

By the time, I graduated to buying my own car, I was aware of such things and never such a howler since then (fingers crossed). Better awareness was followed by looking at images on this thread and advice on better driving on this forum.

I have seen this thread and the constant reminder that the road is a ridiculously dangerous place and it a very bad way to die. We should not be harsh to the dead and parents bear that responsibility of educating their kids.
pratyush6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 21:50   #27617
BHPian

Another day another crash. 19 year college student driving a Mercedes slk 200 rams into pavement and hits army jawan walking on pavement. . College Student was roughed by army jawans. The injured army jawan was admitted to Command Hospital and is out of danger. Major damages underside to mercedes. Oh God when will we have stringent laws like europe and america counterparts.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-benz_01.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-benz_02.jpg
Sarvodaya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 22:56   #27618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Another day another crash. 19 year college student driving a Mercedes slk 200
Oh God when will we have stringent laws like europe and america counterparts.
Indeed. One of the most important needs of the day concerning road safety in India is to restrict the displacement / horsepower of vehicles that a youngster is permitted to drive on the road. IMO <20 y.o. drivers should not be allowed to drive 4-wheeled vehicles with displacement of >1.2L / 80 bhp, and those under 25 years of age ought to have the displacement restricted to 1.8L / 120 bhp. Similar restrictions (say, 150 cc and 250 cc) should also apply to 2-wheelers.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 23:09   #27619
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IMO <20 y.o. drivers should not be allowed to drive 4-wheeled vehicles with displacement of >1.2L / 80 bhp, and those under 25 years of age ought to have the displacement restricted to 1.8L / 120 bhp.
In a country where driving licenses are issued with the drop of a few notes, all this is purely a pipe dream.

The doable thing is responsible parenting.
n.devdath is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 23:33   #27620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In a country where driving licenses are issued with the drop of a few notes, all this is purely a pipe dream.

The doable thing is responsible parenting.
There's no law that can ever be formulated regarding that part! No school teaches anything about parenting. But despite getting driving licences easily, a crackdown on driving high-powered vehicles by people who are deemed too young to do that (including impounding of such vehicles), would make a lot of parents rethink their strategies of allowing their kids to drive that 5-million-rupee (or whatever other amount you might want to think of) car, when the traffic police can easily have the car park to the side and send the spoilt kid back home in a cab.
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 23:44   #27621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
College Student was roughed by army jawans.
Completely unnecessary and stupid, regardless of the circumstances. I don't understand why people think that the normal thing to do after an accident is to resort to physical violence.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 00:32   #27622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Completely unnecessary and stupid, regardless of the circumstances. I don't understand why people think that the normal thing to do after an accident is to resort to physical violence.
The general mentality we people have is an eye for an eye. In respect of achieving that aim, we tend to overlook other important aspects and direct all our energies towards negative actions. Rather than getting the injured to hospital on time and ensuring that the ongoing traffic is not suffering, we resort to this.
SAD and immature
Victor-whiskey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 10:34   #27623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
This tragic accident happened on 31st eve, the owner of the Audi S5 (September 2018 registered) was riding a BMW bike and two of his friends were in his Audi, ...
From the instrument cluster post on Instagram, it looks like the car is set to regular or eco mode and not sport mode which usually means terrible engine braking. Although I might be wrong here. Someone who is more used to an S5 could probably tell better.

Quote:
Do I feel sorry for the boy? Hell No, the parents? Well, not sure.
I actually feel sorry for the boy as he was handed a machine that can potentially be a rocket without prior knowledge or experience. It's similar to giving someone a powerful chain saw and they chop their own arm off because they were not trained. Parents should be taken to task.

I won't be surprised if some of these kids are not allowed to use the gas stoves at home for the fear of fire.

Quote:
Another day another crash. 19 year college student driving a Mercedes slk 200 rams into pavement and hits army jawan walking on pavement....
Have seen these youngsters in Indiranagar and Old Airport Road areas with older supercars now available at reasonable prices. Most of them are not maintained properly as that costs a lot more than just buying the car. Add to this the fact that balancing and alignment will be off, tyres are original, old and now brittle, they are usually a recipe for disaster.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 15:31   #27624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Indeed. One of the most important needs of the day concerning road safety in India is to restrict the displacement / horsepower of vehicles that a youngster is permitted to drive on the road. IMO <20 y.o. drivers should not be allowed to drive 4-wheeled vehicles with displacement of >1.2L / 80 bhp, and those under 25 years of age ought to have the displacement restricted to 1.8L / 120 bhp. Similar restrictions (say, 150 cc and 250 cc) should also apply to 2-wheelers.
What would poor Max Verstappen (or an upcoming Indian equivalent do?) do then? Has the ability and skill but denied the chance to enjoy his cars. Like the speed audio warning etc., it spoils things for the folks who are careful.
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 21:21   #27625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
The general mentality we people have is an eye for an eye. In respect of achieving that aim, we tend to overlook other important aspects and direct all our energies towards negative actions. Rather than getting the injured to hospital on time and ensuring that the ongoing traffic is not suffering, we resort to this.
SAD and immature
Our law and justice system is partially to blame as well. I don't like people taking law in their hands but atleast in case of many ordinary folks, they have experienced injustice from our system and have seen culprits get scot free and victims not get any compensation. So they take their anger out when they can. Again, I don't condone it but just another perspective of why it happens.
Old 5th January 2019, 22:37   #27626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What would poor Max Verstappen (or an upcoming Indian equivalent do?) do then? Has the ability and skill but denied the chance to enjoy his cars.

Max Verstappen did not learn to drive race cars on public streets. I am quite sure he did not hold a driving license to drive on public roads even though he raced on circuits before the legal driving age in his country. For the Indian equivalents, their dads can build them a private racing circuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Like the speed audio warning etc., it spoils things for the folks who are careful.
I often wonder who formulates such rules, and what they consume before forcing those rules down everyone's throats.
Quote:
IMO <20 y.o. drivers should not be allowed to drive 4-wheeled vehicles with displacement of >1.2L / 80 bhp, and those under 25 years of age ought to have the displacement restricted to 1.8L / 120 bhp. Similar restrictions (say, 150 cc and 250 cc) should also apply to 2-wheelers.
However, I seem to be in a minority of precisely one in suggesting the above rule (and I'm wondering how many young Team-BHPians who want to become Max Verstappen are planning to shoot me dead already) - that post has not received a single thanks, while your protest against my trying to stymie such wonderful racing talent has already received 4 (well, 3 if you exclude me ).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 5th January 2019 at 22:39.
SS-Traveller is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 12:10   #27627
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Max Verstappen did not learn to drive race cars on public streets. I am quite sure he did not hold a driving license to drive on public roads even though he raced on circuits before the legal driving age in his country. For the Indian equivalents, their dads can build them a private racing circuit.

Very well said but when he was 17/18, he was more than qualified to drive a supercar once he got a licence.

They should really do what is done in some countries for bikes. Limited the licence to 125 CC bikes until one has put in 2-3 years of experience. A similar thing for cars also!

In Australia, you need to have a P plate and drive at limited speeds to some period.

Those would be ideal but..enforcement is the issue!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 15:23   #27628
Senior - BHPian

There are plenty of adults who crash their supercars too! Bias against price of the car involved and now age group? Not cool at all if you ask me.

Of all the things we can do, why do we want government to get involved in everything?can we have GPS tracker to be installed in our cars and we get automatic fines every single time we break a rule?

Last thing any government, any where in the world cares about is common man, as long as they have control, everything is fine, they don't care. Let's not give them more control over our lives.
giri1.8 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 16:22   #27629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
There are plenty of adults who crash their supercars too! Bias against price of the car involved and now age group? Not cool at all if you ask me.
Statistically (ask the world's insurance companies) youngsters are more likely to be involved in accidents. Now put more powerful weapons in their hands. Actually, I would support a limitation on restriction of new drivers, regardless of age. We are, even if not teens, most likely to have an accident in the first couple of years of our driving lives. So this does not have to be just an age issue.
Quote:
Of all the things we can do, why do we want government to get involved in everything?
Because, primarily, law is their job. They make it, and they employ those who enforce it. Traffic law is a very vital part of that to all of us, directly affecting our lives, health and safety. Most of us here call for more enforcement of road rules. Yes: let government make better (hopefully) traffic rules and provide better enforcement. As a tax payer, it is one of the things that you are paying them for.
Quote:
Let's not give them more control over our lives.
On the roads? Yes! First, though, let them actually use the control they have already. Otherwise, what? Divine intervention? It will be a long wait!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th January 2019 at 16:24.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 16:41   #27630
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Really? When was the last time you threw away a delicate smartphone you bought with your salary/earned money without thinking twice about it?

When kids get expensive goods they dont know the value of, they tend to be reckless, it is simple common sense.

The day a kid earns enough to buy a supercar, he/she wont crash it, cuz he/she knows the amount of sweat and blood that has gone into getting it, Period.
n.devdath is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks