Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 23:28   #2341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
These Volvos with huge glass panes on the sides without support pillars is very very dangerous. Just see the left side of the bus, the roof has caved in after the glass broke. That alone would have hurt a lot of people.
Lets assume the bus had the support pillars like you want.
I am pretty sure the next fault you would have complained for is that these buses dont have airbags!

These buses cannot be top heavy. The are light on top, and heavy on bottom - to create lower centre of gravity. That is why all luggage is stored in the bottom, not on the roof.

I feel i may have discovered a flaw in the system - Indian population is demanding and buying Safety, ABS, Airbags, Strong Body etc,....but road habit has not improved. For example, the person who demand ABS and Airbags dont care to wear seat belt.
In this case, the truck may have been parked on the road without any warning. I dont know why the police dont fine these trucks. In Blr, I always see police trying to catch the 2 wheelers.

Last edited by aerohit : 18th May 2009 at 23:29.
Old 18th May 2009, 23:57   #2342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
He was indeed driving the nissan skyline . There is another thread on this accident which has the photograph of this car as published in the newspaper.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...s-india-8.html
Just to let you all know that the car involved is not the skyline but a different model altogether from the nissan stable.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:17   #2343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Check the link:
D A I J I W O R L D

Mangalore Airavat Volvo crash. Horrific scenes !!

Abhi
Here is the news article in today's Bangalore Mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1824.jpg  

Last edited by prince_pervez : 19th May 2009 at 09:24.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:21   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post

Beltangady, May 18: At least five persons were killed on the spot in a road accident when a KSRTC-run Iravat bus rammed into a stranded timber-laden lorry at Udane near here in the wee hours of Monday May 18.

The bus which was on its way to Mangalore from Bangalore, hit the stationary lorry at Udane at a high speed. The timber-laden lorry which had been stranded along the roadside was spotted at the last minute by the speeding bus driver. His last ditch efforts to avert the mishap were not successful as bus hit the lorry. As of now it is not known whether the driver of the bus too is among the deceased.

Eyewitnesses also said that the lorry had been parked by the roadside without switching on the parking lights. Since it had rained in the night, it became still more difficult for the bus driver to apply breaks on time.
Puttur ASP Harsha Gupta visited the spot and investigation is on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Here is the new article in today's Bangalore Mirror.
is this the same incident?
Old 19th May 2009, 09:29   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Anyone driving on that road, Mangalore - Bangalore should know about these parked trucks. I have lost count of the amount of accidents i have witnessed on this road.

I myself was travelling back in a Volvo in 2007, which rammed into a stationary truck carrying a container. The KSRTC Volvo driver died on the spot.
Agree with you, Spitfire. Loads of 'horse' power available in their hands has made a 'donkey' out of the Volvo drivers. They believe the roads are made for them and not any other motorist. Have witnessed 2 minor accidents and one near miss in the Airavats i travel along this route, and can assess that the Airavat driver error was responsible for 2 of them. Unlike you, i preferred to remain silent and this thing is stinging my mind now. Sorry for the off-topic, but I also know of a BMTC Vajra bus with route No.500K from Depot No.13, and the driver of which indulges in regular reckless driving. Can i complain in confidentiality? If anyone knows so, please do let me know. I cannot afford to think of another accident occuring due to the insane road manners of these drivers.

Last edited by dkamath : 19th May 2009 at 09:32.
Old 19th May 2009, 09:29   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is! So its not copy paste from Team Bhp only. Papers are doing it as well. lol. Or do they do it always ?
Old 19th May 2009, 09:34   #2347
BHPian

Try this page. Seems to be an anonymous way if you use a fake email id. BMTC -- Complaints/Suggestions
Old 19th May 2009, 09:58   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Sad, what i have noticed is most of the trucks dont have there tail lamps in working condition. driving during the rains at night makes it very risky.

May the departed souls rest in peace!
Old 19th May 2009, 10:06   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Very sad to hear that Volvo crash. No Lights on road, rains + truck parked in the middle of the road with no indicators (hazard lights , reflectors) is something unavoidable.
This could have happened with some other vehicle too. On highways, am sure several of us touch 80-100 kmph, but these things are making me understand to be extra extra careful while driving in the night. (or to avoid driving in the night as much as possible).

Waiting to hear updates on Mihir, hope he is fine and comes out of this trauma soon.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 19th May 2009 at 10:21.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:43   #2350
Senior - BHPian

This is from today's newspaper.
Santro, laden with 10 people, including 4 children. (3 Died)
Rammed into a stationary Sumo on the road side, evening around 4.30 pm. in good daylight.
I guess it there must have been 4 people in the front alone, cramping the driver who must have found it tough to turn the car away from the Sumo at the right moment.
This happens quite commonly, overpacking the front seat, restricting the driver, not knowing the potential dangers...!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-santro.jpg  

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 19th May 2009 at 11:44.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:23   #2351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Double the capacity?!! I don't know what to say man. Poor souls, RIP!
The damage is quite massive indicating good speed. 10 people and killer speeds, receipe for disaster.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 19th May 2009 at 12:25.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:24   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Volvo bus accident near Mangalore

Hi,

Please take a look at the photos of the truck involved in the accident.

That is just a normal length truck with those extra long logs stacked by folding down the rear door / side thereby completely obliterating the rear warning lamps even if they were working.

There is no legally required red flag / red light marking the protrusion from the lorry's load area.

The Volvo driver may be guilty of overspeeding, but the truck driver should be equally or more guilty of causing the accident and loss of life. Will he be prosecuted at least?
Old 19th May 2009, 12:24   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
This is from today's newspaper.
where did this happen? Inside the city limits?
Old 19th May 2009, 12:27   #2354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
where did this happen? Inside the city limits?
Looks more like a national highway to me.
Old 19th May 2009, 12:47   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Location: Vellore - Chennai road, Near Kanchipuram. (Thamal Bypass road). State Highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks