Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 16:27   #31741
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
. If it was in gear and vehicle did start, the vehicle would've continued to move backwards. The resistance of the door hinges had already given away.
Not sure what you mean here. If not in a gear, how would it even move in first place?

She surely didn't press the clutch. In the video, her face was throughout visible while ignition was turned on. If she had lunged one leg to clutch, surely she would have gone off the frame.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 17:23   #31742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Not sure what you mean here. If not in a gear, how would it even move in first place?

Yes. It was in gear. But it didn't start. It was only trying to start.

If she did press the clutch and bring the car to life, and then tried to step out, in this case, the car would still be in motion.. most likely scenario. But the car stopped dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

She surely didn't press the clutch. In the video, her face was throughout visible while ignition was turned on. If she had lunged one leg to clutch, surely she would have gone off the frame.
There were some posts that suggested she did manage to press the clutch.

Tried these things and in my experience, I usually end up sitting on the seat, when I try press the clutch while standing out. Point is, it's not an easy feat in a low sedan. At the very least one hand has to hold onto the open door for support.

Of course, these are my opinions/thoughts. Can be wrong.. but I'm still not over the randomness of it.
carrerastrax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 19:01   #31743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post

Tried these things and in my experience, I usually end up sitting on the seat, when I try press the clutch while standing out. Point is, it's not an easy feat in a low sedan.
I am 6'2 and I cannot depress the clutch of my ciaz standing at the door. My legs can reach it standing out, but depressing it is just impossible.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 20:08   #31744
Senior - BHPian

Guys I think the Bangalore accident has been discussed enough. It is very unfortunate that the lady lost her life in such a tragic way. Can we please move on now?
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 20:38   #31745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I am not aware of the Jazz and Amaze but the City can start without clutch being depressed and this is true for the 4th Gen as well. If Honda has implemented this feature in Jazz and Amaze then all the more reason that they should add it to the City.
I don't know about City and Amaze. But my Jazz MT with traditional key can be started without pressing clutch.

I have done similar stupidity when my car was only 5 days old. I bought my first MT car after 5 years of driving AT. I had parked the car in 1st gear with parking brake set which is standard. But when I came back to the car, released the parking brake and turned the ignition over with only my foot on brake which was my AT driving habit kicking in. Boom! The car surged forward about a feet and stalled. Thankfully there was nothing in front. And that's when I learned my car can be started without clutch pedal depressed.

Thankfully, put on seatbelt -> check the gear stick wiggle -> right foot on brake -> left on clutch -> turn on the ignition -> release handbrake -> release brake -> release clutch -> move has become my default habit now that I try to do it on AT cars as well.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 10th October 2020 at 20:42.
Old 11th October 2020, 00:08   #31746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
My 2011 i20 magna petrol didn't have it so I think it might be specific to models.
My dad's 2012 i20 Diesel had it. I think they included this feature with the facelift.

On a side note, i20 being the car I learnt to drive, it has become a habit for me to press the clutch pedal while starting a car regardless of it being necessary or not.
Old 11th October 2020, 10:31   #31747
BHPian

RIP .... I never ever park my car in gear, not even if its on an incline and consider it a bad practice. Handbrake is more than sufficient to hold the car in place even on an incline unless it is worn out and not maintained well. We may call it hand brake but it is actually parking brake and is there for the same reason. But I see majority of drivers following this bad practice including people in my own family. Recently there was a post from a bhpian wherein he inadvertantly cranked his in gear car causing serious damage to another car parked in front, fortunately there was no person around and the damage was only material. We all must spread awareness to discourage this practice of parking in gear as this has huge potential of causing such fatal accidents.
AVL500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 11:05   #31748
BHPian

The Bangalore accident was truly a freak incident and makes me wonder when fate is against , all things that can go wrong will go wrong. I believe that a big incident is a failure of multiple things at the same time. If any one of the below would have gone the woman’s way, we would not be reading this.

1. Car did not have a hand brake engaged.
2. Car was left in reverse gear
3. The lady rather than sit in the car and start the car , tried to stand outside and start it.
4. In many cases when clutch is not engaged , the car just jumps and engine is killed.. I unknowingly started my car in gear, with out depressing the clutch, it just jumps but does not start.. obviously I was in the car.
looks like the clutch is not depressed and still the car got started.

5. The woman could not get away due to the sidewalk
6. Presence of the tree was just plain bad luck.
Old 11th October 2020, 11:28   #31749
BHPian

Unfortunate incidents, reinforces my thought that our people need to be educated with reference to road manners and tolerance.

So unfortunate to learn about the Atal incident where people who could afford.
Quoting the news report from Hindustan Times

Brig KP Purushothaman has blamed reckless and negligent driving by tourists for the accidents.
Some were clicking selfies while others threw caution and traffic norms to the wind. “This indecent behaviour by the tourists was caught on cameras installed inside the tunnel,” he said.
On Sunday, three vehicles had collided inside the tunnel due to speeding; however, no case was registered as the motorists reached a compromise.

I don’t understand, why officials did not file a case for negligent driving and putting other people’s life at risk. Wish we become a cultured society in the future at-least.
architect_santo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 12:51   #31750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
The lady must have kept one leg far inside the car on the clutch and pressed the self start button.
The car in question appears to be a pre-facelift 3rd Gen Honda City. Those cars did not have a start button. You need to turn the key the crank the engine, and if the car was in gear, there would be a jerk and that is what seems to have happened because once she lets go, the car stops. Probably the handbrake was on as well.
Old 11th October 2020, 14:21   #31751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Slightly

From the articles above it looks like Hyundai has it across their range now. Any idea when they introduced this?
My 2014 i20 magna(not elite) had this feature. Had to press clutch to start the car.
Ethnicul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 14:30   #31752
BHPian

Two DUI accident cases in Hyderabad. Looks like life is back to normal, no one is fearing corona, people are going out to pubs and wine shops in the wekends, getting drunk, driving under influence of alcohol and killing themselves in accidents.

Hyderabad: Two killed, six severely injured in road accident

In a tragic incident, two persons were killed in a road accident and six people were severely injured on ORR under Narsingi police station limits. According to the reports, two speeding car drivers under the influence of alcohol crashed into each other, two car drivers died on the spot and six people in two cars were injured severely. As per reports, the injured persons were shifted to a private hospital in Gachibowli and undergoing the treatment.

Speeding car turns turtle in Hyderabad, video goes viral

A couple under the influence of alcohol rammed their car into divider and car turned turtle and dragged for few meters. The incident took place in under pass near IKEA store, Madhapur. The couple are undergoing treatment in a hospital. The visuals were captured by nearby CCTV camera and now they are going viral

Old 11th October 2020, 15:37   #31753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Not sure if handbrake was properly engaged, I think handbrake would have slowed down the car.

I always park with both handbrake and gear, will need to be extra careful.
]:
Really tragic incident. May her soul rest in peace.

Actually when people intend to park a car for longer time, they do that keeping the car in gear and without the handbrake engaged. Reason is if you keep the manual pull type handbrake engaged for a longer duration, it may get jammed. Don't know about the electronic ones though. No problem if you're just parking overnight with handbrake on. So I see no fault of the original driver except keeping the car in gear while he knew he would not be around when she'll start the car. I believe this was unintentional and a totally weird way to die like that.
Old 11th October 2020, 16:40   #31754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL500 View Post
RIP .... I never ever park my car in gear, not even if its on an incline and consider it a bad practice. Handbrake is more than sufficient to hold the car in place even on an incline unless it is worn out and not maintained well. We may call it hand brake but it is actually parking brake and is there for the same reason. But I see majority of drivers following this bad practice including people in my own family. Recently there was a post from a bhpian wherein he inadvertantly cranked his in gear car causing serious damage to another car parked in front, fortunately there was no person around and the damage was only material. We all must spread awareness to discourage this practice of parking in gear as this has huge potential of causing such fatal accidents.
Wrong advice. Parking with just hand brake is a bad practice. You can't trust hand brake to hold the vehicle from rolling especially in steeper slopes and you have to engage the appropriate gears for the additional safety.
Renjith Rajan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 17:09   #31755
BHPian

The presence of a stone placed AHEAD of the front tyre suggests that the car was parked on a downhill slope and that probably also explains why the car was left parked in reverse gear. All said and done, very unfortunate combination of events, leading to the incident and her sad demise. May her soul rest in peace and may we see no such incidents happening going forward :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks