Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 09:30   #5161
AVT
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Bad drivers - Who use high beams all the time , go wrong side on the carriageways, honkers !
And yes, the ones who don't have even traces of common sense .
Old 14th March 2013, 12:19   #5162
Senior - BHPian

What else to say, buying a 10 lakh car does not give sense that you are blocking 2 lanes at a time when traffic is choc-a-block. In fact, the car just kept in the same line after the signal as well.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad_driver.jpg
Old 14th March 2013, 12:35   #5163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
What else to say, buying a 10 lakh car does not give sense that you are blocking 2 lanes at a time when traffic is choc-a-block. In fact, the car just kept in the same line after the signal as well.

Attachment 1062384
Ohhh c'mon motomaverick. He is just being a smart fella just like any other Bangalorean. He is in 2 lanes, so that which ever lane moves faster, he can quickly sqeeze in there. See, his 10 lakhs car got him some 'brains' which is actually of no use.

On a serious note, this is a very very very common attitude of 90/100 motorists on road in B'lore (The remaining 10 motorists must have been BHPians) . Starting from 2, 3 and 4 wheelers, even buses give a damn about lane discipline. It's all about which lane moves faster, and I am in that lane.

Even today morning, two of my company buses were taking a left turn parallely at the Marathalli junction and no one gave a damn about each other, until their ORVMs' brushed against each other. Then they started arguing whose fault was it ! They lost ~ 10 mins, money, peace of mind. Gained - Nothing. People love to learn the hard way.
Old 14th March 2013, 13:25   #5164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
A strong case for providing the vanity mirror on the driver's sun-visor by Merc Wealth and education doesn't bring in commonsense.
Very true. If education does not instil such basics, its really bad. How do we then blame the Auto's and Cabs (though not an excuse)!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
This surely takes the cake ! All this while I thought it only happens in movies. I wonder what he'd do if he hurts himself in the process. Go to the meeting looking like he's just been in a brawl.
Probably he has seen too many films, that he now thinks of saving time, by multi-tasking such activities while driving.
Old 14th March 2013, 14:13   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Bad driver: Driving in high beam when you have only one lamp working, and that too the left one.

I almost crashed into an amby that looked like a bike with an extra strong lamp.
This had been a bane on Indian highways for long. Thankfully, with divider coming up on majority of highways, the problem has reduced a bit.

However, it remains a major hazard on two lane roads. Let alone Ambys, I have also seen trucks / buses with just a single working light. Many times, I have just stopped short of running into them
Old 14th March 2013, 15:00   #5166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post

This had been a bane on Indian highways for long. Thankfully, with divider coming up on majority of highways, the problem has reduced a bit.
A related wrong practise is to switch on the high beams at night, along with the right indicator, and waiting on the middle of an undivided road to turn right.

For oncoming traffic, its very difficult to notice that the indicators are blinking until they are too close to stop and allow the other car to turn.

And most often the car with the high beams assume that the oncoming traffic will stop because they have "cleverly" used both indicators and high beams, and proceeds to take the turn. A recipe for disaster.

At the same time, better experienced trucks etc, usually use a combination of parking lights and indicators, while waiting for the turn.
Old 14th March 2013, 18:31   #5167
Senior - BHPian

@Binzone: You spoke my mind. I frequently encounter such "smart" drivers and comment to my wife that what they are doing is actually counter productive to their purpose.
Old 14th March 2013, 20:17   #5168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Ohhh c'mon motomaverick. He is just being a smart fella just like any other Bangalorean. He is in 2 lanes, so that which ever lane moves faster, he can quickly sqeeze in there.
This appears to be part of their DNA. Birth habits die hard

Separately, one more problem I have seen on curvy roads, especially on Golf Course Road and Old Airport road (where the road has slight turns), wherein people suddenly change their lane cutting other's speed.

Green - right way (as per me)
Red - wrong way.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-traffic.jpg  

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 14th March 2013 at 20:19.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 20:56   #5169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post

Green - right way (as per me)
Red - wrong way.
Can't agree more than this pic !! This is exactly what happened to two of our company buses today !!!
Old 15th March 2013, 10:49   #5170
Distinguished - BHPian

Speeding on the wrong side, Hulimavu lake road.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0017optimized.jpg

Protecting his elbow using helmet

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0019optimized.jpg

Opp to Christ College, two wheelers using the foot path.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo005615optimized.jpg

How about this one? Passengers leg on the windscreen.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo000f9optimized.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 11:49   #5171
BHPian

Bad Drivers - You don't have to spot 'em .. they are all around us.

@Gachibowli, Hyderabad - After my breakfast, when I came back to get my car out of the hotel parking spot, I see a Grey Sunny parked bang behind my car with inches to spare. Seeing that no way I can turn my car around I start to look around the place for the prospective driver of the car assuming he might be some place around for a quick buy or something. I wait for this chap to turn up and move his car and after a good 10 minute, getting impatient I ask this guy at the near by pan shop if it was his car, observing he had a key fob hanging down his belt loop. Observing my efforts and smoking he says - "2 minutes boss, abhi move karunga". He was right there all along !!
This car owner was a well dressed man working for TCS Hyderabad (From the shirt he was wearing), stinking cologne, was standing right there all along had the audacity to say even after noticing I couldn't move my car.

It kind of ruined my morning.

Last edited by no_boundaries : 15th March 2013 at 11:57.
Old 15th March 2013, 11:51   #5172
BHPian

I think I became a bad rider today.

I was getting down from the Hebbal flyover on my bike towards Manyata Embassy Tech Park along side a BHPians Red Swift (Yoko tires - they look lovely). I was actually impressed by the beefier tires and the rear right passenger side window had the Yoko stickers.
All was fine and the traffic was moving at around 35 kmph when a helmetless guy on an Activa comes cutting in between me and the Swift. But I was almost on the rightmost lane and moving any more sideways would have me hit the flyover wall, so I stay put whilst that guy tries hard to squeeze in.
I'm not sure if his hurrying was really genuine, but there was no space I could give him so that he could pass through. Now, he does something unthinkable.
He kicks my bike with his leg.
Yes, you read it right. He kicked on my bike's saree guard and I almost hit the flyover wall. The Swift guy even shouted at the Activa guy. I was so enraged that I forgot all traffic rules and broke all possible lanes to catch the fleeding guy and beat him.
I actually cut right across the very same Swift and thankfully he braked hard to avoid hitting me head on. But, an Activa slides easily into the smallest of gaps and I have a Karizma ZMR.

I'd use T-BHP as a platform to apologize to that Swift guy. Sorry sir, I'm not a bad rider, but it was something I couldn't control.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:07   #5173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Not necessarily! Switching on hazards in a tunnel and rains is not correct, although large no of drivers are now doing it and some state's police advocate the same, however hazards while reversing is a feature which comes with several cars on which autocop/security system is retrofitted.

Hazards are supposed to make a vehicle conspicious and hence avoid accidents, so switching them on when waiting on a busy street seems ok to me.
Hazard lights are meant to be used only when a vehicle is stationary. Using it in a moving vehicle is totally wrong. Many modern cars have the facility where the hazard lights turn on automatically after an accident. When I was abroad, there are fines for misuse of hazard lights. This should be implemented here too.
It really bothers me when vehicles turn on the hazard lights inside tunnels or during rains. It is very hard to make out whether the vehicle is stationary or moving.
Old 15th March 2013, 13:37   #5174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Hazard lights are meant to be used only when a vehicle is stationary. Using it in a moving vehicle is totally wrong. Many modern cars have the facility where the hazard lights turn on automatically after an accident. When I was abroad, there are fines for misuse of hazard lights. This should be implemented here too.
It really bothers me when vehicles turn on the hazard lights inside tunnels or during rains. It is very hard to make out whether the vehicle is stationary or moving.
During heavy rains a car can always use the rear fog lights, at least all cars since the past decade have this facility save some of the hatches. That way you are bright enough for someone behind you but the flip side is someone not knowing all these tell tale lights might think you are braking
Old 15th March 2013, 16:13   #5175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Hazard lights are meant to be used only when a vehicle is stationary.
I completely disagree. Hazard lights are to be used to warn of a hazard whether that hazard is your own vehicle or something ahead. You can give other drivers an extended period in which to think, "something is going on," and slow down and/or be ready for immediate reaction. This includes suddenly driving into rain or fog.

What should not be done is keeping the hazard lights on when other people have caught up, obviously got the message, etc etc.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks