Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 19:06   #7246
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
This car was in the lane to my right so I don't know how you could say I was on high beam.
The reflection of your dashboard has it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_0229.jpg  

shifu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 19:09   #7247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
The reflection of your dashboard has it.
Thought so after revisiting the pic in the post. Well spotted

Will keep in mind brother
1lokesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 20:39   #7248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Thought so after revisiting the pic in the post. Well spotted

Will keep in mind brother
On a poorly lit road (eg: most side roads in cities, roads in the suburbs) with possible pedestrians or even stray cattle straying into the middle of a lane, I will take using high beam to running someone or something over.

Of course where there is bright street lighting no need of high beam.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 22:59   #7249
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahh... the perennial high-beam controversy

Use high beam whereever you like ---so long as it is not dazzling any oncoming traffic, or any person driving ahead of you. It is absolutely unrelated to place or type of road.

It also needs to be said that if one cannot stop in the distance illuminated by the low beam, slowing down is probably called for.

Quote:
possible pedestrians or even stray cattle straying
You forgot... pedal cyclists.

An occasional flash of high-beam at a suspicious shadow has saved several of these from being run over by me! Why it does not occur to anyone that pedal cycles need lights too is beyond me.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 23:14   #7250
Senior - BHPian

I don't go above 25..30 on side roads, and 50..55 tops on anything that describes as a city or suburban road. I still prefer to steer clear of such things from a distance rather than slam on the brakes.

Especially as the headlights in my amaze were originally anaemic in the extreme, with a very poor throw. Replaced them with philips 130/100W rally headlights that've saved my bacon during highway drives.
Old 5th February 2015, 10:32   #7251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I don't go above 25..30 on side roads, and 50..55 tops on anything that describes as a city or suburban road....

Especially as the headlights in my amaze were originally anaemic in the extreme, with a very poor throw. Replaced them with philips 130/100W rally headlights that've saved my bacon during highway drives.
I don't know whether it is me or my lights. I can't see much of the road nearby when I am on Highbeam. My Highbeam stabs a corridor of light into the darkness some 50 meters away. It doesn't allow me to see immediate hazards - natural or man-made before me. I use my driving lights or whatever you call them sitting in your front bumper. They illuminate the road just before your car. Saved the day many times. More than my highbeam I trust my lower mounted lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Ahh... the perennial high-beam controversy

It also needs to be said that if one cannot stop in the distance illuminated by the low beam, slowing down is probably called for.

You forgot... pedal cyclists.
Where you and I live, there are those who take their dogs out for a walk. Neither the animals nor their owners wear anything to distinguish their presence in dimly lit side streets. Often the dogs are made to walk on the road while the owners stay safely on the side.

I hate to mow down animals.

Old 5th February 2015, 16:52   #7252
BHPian

On regular two-lane roads at night, when there are no streetlights around, it is quite difficult for me to spot animals or people on the road (either crossing, attempting to cross, or the odd drunkard ambling along ) when there is a stream of traffic coming at you on high beams. I immediately switch on to high beams if I have any sort of doubt, and I have lost count of the number of times I had seen a ghost-like figure appear not very far ahead, lit up by the high beam.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 16:56   #7253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Often the dogs are made to walk on the road while the owners stay safely on the side.
What is worse is that they do the same thing with children too!

I absolutely accept that main beam is sometimes needed on city streets. I use it too, but it should not be at the price of dazzling other drivers. The thing is to use them to avoid accidents, but not to cause others to have them.
Old 5th February 2015, 16:57   #7254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why it does not occur to anyone that pedal cycles need lights too is beyond me.
I've noticed a few here during the wee hours with bright strobe lights beneath the seat. The rest have reflectors. The strobe lights never fail to grab my attention.
Old 5th February 2015, 18:11   #7255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
I absolutely accept that main beam is sometimes needed on city streets. I use it too, but it should not be at the price of dazzling other drivers.
Given the traffic density on city roads, it would be tough to not dazzle/blind others if one uses hi-beam - either those coming towards us or the ones in front via their RVMs. If one sticks to the speed-limits, I doubt one needs to use hi-beam in city. I don't think I stick to the speed-limit strictly, but still never felt the need to use hi-beam in city (inspite of Baleno lights being nothing to talk about). Different scenario all-together on highways.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 20:57   #7256
Distinguished - BHPian

I spend as much time as possible off-main-road. Maybe that makes main beams more necessary, and also less of a nuisance. I really try never to use them when they would dazzle others.
Old 6th February 2015, 05:23   #7257
BHPian

Chaos when some youngsters in Russia decide to teach a lesson to drivers who drive on sidewalks -

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ewalk-drivers/
josejoseph is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 19:01   #7258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
some youngsters in Russia decide to teach a lesson to drivers who drive on sidewalks
Watched a few minutes. That is a great idea, but wow, it takes some courage! It would be good if people here took on the bikers who decide that the pavement is made for them. Trouble is, though, that the pedestrians are too busy deciding that the road is made for them

They should use the really-sticky sticky stuff on those screen stickers --- at least for the hard nuts.
Old 6th February 2015, 20:00   #7259
Team-BHP Support

Takes enormous patience and courage to do something like that, so respect to the kids

While the examples show that d-bags (as the movement is titled) exist everywhere, I'd probably not advise anyone to do something similar in India impromptu, given how patchy law enforcement back-up is. It can easily get scary and dangerous, real quick.

Even then, it's heartening to see youth stand up for socially relevant issues.

P.S. I'd be glad if they used superglue, but then I guess they don't want to get into legal wrangles (damaging property or similar).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th February 2015 at 20:02.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 09:53   #7260
Senior - BHPian

Wonder what this bloke did to get the boot!

Name:  ForumRunner_20150207_095221.png
Views: 954
Size:  426.7 KB

The buffoon was spotted and clicked by my friend Sharad Shastry at Hubli.
schakravarthy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks