Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2023, 12:13   #12511
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Not an Accident, But a video of what could have been one. @moderators, please do move to appropriate thread as required.

Was driving down the a 4 lane at higway speeds, when I encountered this Ertiga completely stopped on the fast lane. I thought he was having a breakdown , but when I moved closer this is waht I saw. The gentleman stopped on the fast lane in highway, rolled down the windows and was streching his hand to pluck the flowers from the plants on the median.

He had his wife and kids in the car. Quite a romantic husband I would say

nettooran is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 12:57   #12512
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I'm observing a trend now-a-days in Bangalore, where people mount their phones in the car to watch videos and games WHILE driving. This is more rampant among private car owners seemingly well educated driving good cars. I confronted few warning them of the consequence on a busy road with even the slightest lapse in driving focus I often hear back - "its only for audio", "how do you know I was watching it" or one elderly gentleman also stated it was for his wife in the passenger seat, however the phone was angled towards him.

I don't know if I'm becoming less tolerant or the road users are becoming that ignorant to common sense.

As nothing is going to improve or get better by my mere confrontation, I've made a stronger resolve to turn a blind eye and make a mental note of all such instances to train on how not to be on a road or even make an example of it to my 6 year old daughter.
no_boundaries is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 13:19   #12513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
I'm observing a trend now-a-days in Bangalore, where people mount their phones in the car to watch videos and games WHILE driving. <snip>
Not a "new trend" I'd say!

Have been carpooling with a colleague when I was working in CBD area, circa 2018. Have seen him hook up his mobile on windscreen & watch live IPL/other cricket regularly during our commute

Try howsoever to persuade him not to do that, he'd brush it off saying "c'mon yar! we're anyway crawling at 15kmph or at max 30, what accident can happen at such speeds?"

Eventually I stopped hitching rides with him.
KrisTvpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 15:25   #12514
Distinguished - BHPian

Was walking my doggo inside my gated complex and an Alto sped by seemingly not seeing us (he is on a leash always). I'm always alert while walking him because sometimes dogs being walked have a mind of their own and spotted the car early enough so no harm done. But I observed that the driver was looking at something in his hand, probably a mobile phone. He even went over a speed breaker without slowing down since he was distracted.

People are idiots.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 21:27   #12515
anb
BHPian

A lady rides scooter on the wrong direction through the busy 4 lane bypass near Technopark, Trivadrum

anb is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 10:20   #12516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
A lady rides scooter on the wrong direction through the busy 4 lane bypass near Technopark, Trivadrum
Oh man!

That is a lady with a deathwish! That is tempting fate to the maximum and it's a case of sooner than later if she continues on this escapade regularly.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 10:39   #12517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Oh man!

That is a lady with a deathwish! That is tempting fate to the maximum and it's a case of sooner than later if she continues on this escapade regularly.
Agree 100%. Since the bus was ahead, you won't know till it is almost too late. If there had been another vehicle to the left of the car, it might have been very tricky. Rgds, Balaji
Bsimhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 08:40   #12518
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, a Sunday morning, I was on my way back home via Thippasandra (BEML) main road on the scooter around 7:15am. As is the norm on this road, there were 2 wheelers coming head-on on the wrong side so I had to make sure I gave them a clear path. Then, I see a white Swift with KL registration also gunning down on the wrong side coming straight at me. I moved to the left to let him pass and I also waved and gestured to tell him it’s a One Way. He rolls down the driver side window and while I was expecting him to blurt out a few expletives at me, he says “I know that, but two way traffic is allowed till 8am, I hope you know that”. I smiled, told him “This is great news, Thanks!” and waved him on with a Thumbs up.
Wow, I’m so happy I learnt about a new traffic rule!

Last edited by NPV : 18th December 2023 at 08:43.
NPV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 17:55   #12519
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on NH-48 two days back. A Kid was looking out of the sunroof on highway at decent highway speed. I was wondering what kind of parent/driver allow such stunts?

Last edited by airbus : 25th December 2023 at 18:00. Reason: Minor update.
Old 28th December 2023, 14:04   #12520
Senior - BHPian

Happened on 16th Dec. Sharing it here since the recent discussions on dashcams being the saviours of the day.

Scooter lady is fine, just a bruised ego. Car is fine as well. Just a minor scratch on the LHS front wheel arch. My mom is the one of the phone, I was at the wheels. We stopped, offered the lady some water and ensured she was good to go. She refused any medical help. What alarmed me was the fact that she was continuously saying she had put on the indicator so I should have been more aware. While I agree that her indicator was on, bikers and other road users should be more aware of the blindspots of larger vehicles especially on the passenger-side.

OT - I have recently undergone training for heavy vehicles which has made me even more mindful of my vehicle's position wrt a bus or a truck. It was really an eye-opener for me regarding a heavy vehicle driver's visibility, their blindspots and stopping distances.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 14:37   #12521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Scooter lady is fine, just a bruised ego. Car is fine as well. Just a minor scratch on the LHS front wheel arch. My mom is the one of the phone, I was at the wheels. We stopped, offered the lady some water and ensured she was good to go. She refused any medical help. What alarmed me was the fact that she was continuously saying she had put on the indicator so I should have been more aware. .
Absolute noob mistake by a 2 wheeler rider. No helmet. And on top of that going from extreme left to extreme right. Serves a good lesson to the lady. She was lucky she did not injure her limbs or there wasn't a bigger car. It could've been fatal.
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 15:04   #12522
Distinguished - BHPian

This cutting across the front of a vehicle making the same turn seems increasingly common. They just take the shortest line. they have no idea of the arc that other vehicles must take, or that they may not have right of way over that. I don't think it is even a newbie thing
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 18:06   #12523
Distinguished - BHPian

In Goa, a SUV with a Telangana state number plate was spotted being driven with two children sleeping atop its roof. The video shows the dangerous drive on Parra Coconut Tree Road, Goa.

https://twitter.com/InGoa24x7/status...0%2Fframe.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th December 2023 at 18:11.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 11:55   #12524
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Just read this news article
https://www.republicworld.com/india/...eo-goes-viral/

I don't know what these people are smoking

I even wonder if they should be punished or sent to a mental asylum. Poor kids
sudanmohit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 12:05   #12525

Most Indian riders and drivers are not qualified to ride/drive despite having a license to do so. No knowledge of lane use and discipline. And lots of other rules of the road. When intending to turn right, the being on the extreme right to do it is a given. Cutting from the extreme left across lanes with traffic on them shows they'll not pass a stringent riding/driving test! I'm pretty sure 90% maybe more of Indian licensed riders/driver will fail a stringent riding/driving retest that tests them for safe driving knowledge.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th December 2023 at 12:17. Reason: Fixing typos. Please do proof read your post before submitting. Thanks!
old_cayuse is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks