Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 09:12   #12451
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thinking about this, and your earlier post, as I understood it, and the answer is don't. Just don't!

A heavy foot on brake and accelerator costs money. Driving sedately in the right gear doesn't. Do not think that you are saving some money by being in too high a gear, effectively letting your car coast. Never coast. Always be in control.

As a young driver, I think you have misunderstood this, and need to correct yourself urgently.
Well i do agree that i shift to a higher gear to coast, but not extensively. I pick my slots and shift up only when the rpm is too high for the car to be smooth in the lower gear.

Also, simply shifting up to reduce the tightness of the engine also takes up extra fuel because a lot more acceleration is required, or so my dad says.

That said, points noted.

PS: Considering my 6 month experience, i am too chickened out to let the car be in control. I shift up only when tapping the A in the lower gear makes the car jerk forward
Old 28th September 2023, 15:24   #12452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
PS: Considering my 6 month experience, i am too chickened out to let the car be in control. I shift up only when tapping the A in the lower gear makes the car jerk forward

No no!

You must be in control, and, when needed, a lower gear will help you. Jerky driving is a symptom of inexperience: practice being smooth with your feet rather than avoiding learning the right way by changing up.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 17:07   #12453
BHPian

Quote:
No no!

You must be in control, and, when needed, a lower gear will help you. Jerky driving is a symptom of inexperience: practice being smooth with your feet rather than avoiding learning the right way by changing up.

Agreed and Noted. Will make the changes. Any tips to get the horrible LED flashers to back off?

They are a nuisance and a half these days
shresan23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 23:18   #12454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any tips to get the horrible LED flashers to back off?
I wish! Tailgaters and other bullies behind: get them past, if you can. They are safer speeding towards the next vehicle in their way. Sometimes it irks, and I confess to occasional passive-aggressive braking. That is, slowly reducing speed. They are so close they cannot pass.

But honestly, I advise myself against playing those games, let alone anyone else!
Old 29th September 2023, 00:39   #12455
BHPian

Quote:
I wish! Tailgaters and other bullies behind: get them past, if you can. They are safer speeding towards the next vehicle in their way. Sometimes it irks, and I confess to occasional passive-aggressive braking. That is, slowly reducing speed. They are so close they cannot pass.

But honestly, I advise myself against playing those games, let alone anyone else!
Tailgaters and the traffic weavers are easy to get rid of on Highways. Weavers in particular have the "advantage" of getting spotted quickly in the IRVM using the peripheral vision. So if we make way for them they are just fine. However there are these narrow village roads in kerala, fun to drive, beautiful but sometimes you get a tailgater and it is a real challenge to dislodge them from your back. Once a swift was driving so close that I had to be very precise with the brakes and indicators to get the moron in front of me. What a relief it was when he overtook and sped of.
electric_eel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:21   #12456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed and Noted. Will make the changes. Any tips to get the horrible LED flashers to back off?

They are a nuisance and a half these days
Easiest solution would be to let them pass you by. Not worth losing your good mood over it. Flip the rearview mirror on night drives to save you some trouble.

Or if you want to add to the menace you could do this and blind people!

An eye for an eye would make the world go blind...ah well
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:40   #12457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=QacfMNpdQ60

An eye for an eye would make the world go blind...ah well
While I do agree that these guys have to be given a taste of their own medicine, I dont want to go to such extreme measures

Besides, I wouldnt want the blinded guy rear ending me and then blaming my anti flashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Tailgaters and the traffic weavers are easy to get rid of on Highways. Weavers in particular have the "advantage" of getting spotted quickly in the IRVM using the peripheral vision. So if we make way for them they are just fine. However there are these narrow village roads in kerala, fun to drive, beautiful but sometimes you get a tailgater and it is a real challenge to dislodge them from your back. Once a swift was driving so close that I had to be very precise with the brakes and indicators to get the moron in front of me. What a relief it was when he overtook and sped of.

Talk about nuisance. Im from Palakkad myself and have, on many occasions been able to enjoy the serenity of the single lane roads, splitting pastures on either side.

The calm is often disrupted by the Private Buses, heavily modified Hyundai Eons, Swifts etc, with their jarring horns and bumper kissing tactics.

I should say, the roads of interior Kerala would become a tourist attraction by itself, if nincompoops like these are removed.

I should also commend the impeccable skills of those bus drivers who, in spite of risking their lives, manage to risk ours, the lives of the oncoming traffic, their own passengers and somehow, the lives of the members of nearby households.

And yes, how do you spot bad drivers in Kerala?

If you find a Private bus, hauling at you, best to get into the sand and park your vehicle and let the man pass.

PS: Ambulances drive more respectably

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2023 at 05:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged
shresan23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:48   #12458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I do agree that these guys have to be given a taste of their own medicine, I dont want to go to such extreme measures

Besides, I wouldnt want the blinded guy rear ending me and then blaming my anti flashes.
But of course. Nothing warrants having such a contraption fitted to your vehicle. Very tempting yes, but better sense should always prevail.

It's very simple actually but ego/pride comes into play and sense and sensibility goes for a toss.

When there's a car in front, you dim your lights. It does not matter if it's directly in front of you in your lane or an ongoing car on the opposite lane.

Meanwhile this is someone who goes overboard with that thought

Meanwhile in China a good many years back...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7397551.html
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 11:45   #12459
Senior - BHPian

This happened to me yesterday in the land of low IQ people where I have been living for the past 1.5 years. Attaching the video as a GIF else I will have to upload on Youtube.

Edit (description): Was driving at around 10kmph in a tight road when the open side step of the Activa in front got hit with the front tyre of a motorcycle. I immediately took evasive action hoping that the bike doesn’t hit me and praying that I dont get rear ended either.

In the video, the moron on Activa can be seen checking out the side step moments before contact as he knew that this would happen.

Name:  DDD4C038D68546759B83D2BD88F5AF7D.gif
Views: 261
Size:  3.62 MB

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 30th September 2023 at 11:49.
PaddleShifter is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 13:24   #12460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
This happened to me yesterday in the land of low IQ people where I have been living for the past 1.5 years. Attaching the video as a GIF else I will have to upload on Youtube.
Not clear from the gif (my eyes are not what they used to be) but even if it was a slight contact, why would the bike throw it's front wheel up like a horse

To me, it looked like the rider of the bike popped the clutch?

But then I wasn't there.

All in all, no harm done thankfully.
Old 30th September 2023, 13:44   #12461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not clear from the gif (my eyes are not what they used to be)
Apologies for the inconvenience. Here is the video uploaded on Youtube.

Old 30th September 2023, 14:57   #12462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
As no harm is done, that's a hilarious video to watch in loop

Quote:
Very likely that's exactly what had happened. The bike would be in gear and the rider would have engaged the clutch. On the impact from the Activa, the bike guy would have lost the control of the handle, let go off the clutch and the bike became a horse.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 17:59   #12463
BHPian

Quote:
Easiest solution would be to let them pass you by. Not worth losing your good mood over it. Flip the rearview mirror on night drives to save you some trouble.
The ultra bright LED headlamps on some two wheelers are also a menace - blinding my rear view mirror and causing me to flip it to night mode (as much as I can do with my crappy Mahindra setup).
Those guys leave these bright lights on during the daytime as well (in order to be more visible to traffic I assume).
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:32   #12464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
The ultra bright LED headlamps on some two wheelers are also a menace - blinding my rear view mirror and causing me to flip it to night mode (as much as I can do with my crappy Mahindra setup).
Those guys leave these bright lights on during the daytime as well (in order to be more visible to traffic I assume).
What is irritating is when the minute you flip your rearview mirror, the 2 wheelers move a bit to the side and focus their LED Laser Ray lights onto your sideview mirror
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 12:05   #12465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I too felt the same.

Likely, it's both. The footrest touching the wheel rattled the biker a bit and that light unexpected jolt made him lose grip of the clutch.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks