Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2023, 10:35   #12421
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Had encountered this reckless one on my way from Coimbatore to Bangalore at the Dhimbam ghats. This is how I spotted this bad driver

Goandiaries is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 10:48   #12422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
Had encountered this reckless one on my way from Coimbatore to Bangalore at the Dhimbam ghats. This is how I spotted this bad driver

https://Youtu.be/H4aUHQ837SQ
Yes that was bad and sadly it is not very uncommon. But shall I point out that you should have waited for the alto to complete its overtaking the truck before initiating your overtake. I understand that you might miss on the straight stretch and may have to stay behind the slow truck for quite some time but following another overtaking car reduces visibility considerably a leaves you very little escape options in such a terrain. In addition the one you are following has "proven" track record of cutting it short. Definitely not a role model worth following.

Last edited by electric_eel : 8th September 2023 at 10:49. Reason: typo
electric_eel is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 14:04   #12423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Yes that was bad and sadly it is not very uncommon. But shall I point out that you should have waited for the alto to complete its overtaking the truck before initiating your overtake. I understand that you might miss on the straight stretch and may have to stay behind the slow truck for quite some time but following another overtaking car reduces visibility considerably a leaves you very little escape options in such a terrain. In addition the one you are following has "proven" track record of cutting it short. Definitely not a role model worth following.
Good point . However, I wasn't really keen on following the Alto anytime. There was a moment of a good view on the inside line of the truck just after the Tempo traveller comes into view. It was at this moment that I decided to overtake the truck. The speed was also around 20 plus a few metres gap behind the truck before overtaking, in case if there's anything else coming on my way I could go back in line. And when I got a good view ahead, I proceeded. But definitely not a blind overtake
Goandiaries is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 15:19   #12424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost131100 View Post
At least in Kolkata, in my opinion :
1. They drive very slowly or too fast then brake hard.
2. They attempt to overtake from the wrong side
3. They come very close or “chappo” you for no reason.
4. They don’t use indicators and suddenly change lanes with no regard for anyone else on the road.
5. They brake test people for no reason.
6. They drive fast and rash without being able to actually control their car or actually having the confidence to do so.
Yes the list can go on endlessly. I had read somewhere long time ago that there are many monkeys all over the road. You have to be very alert to spot them, anticipate and know from before what their next move will be.

Be alert always guys.
Old 21st September 2023, 14:15   #12425
BHPian

Just a 10-minute long dash cam video of drive around in Bangalore city. How many instances of bad/dangerous driving can you spot. I counted 16.

Old 23rd September 2023, 13:23   #12426

Guess I am the bad driver today. I was going home from a 200km morning drive. I entered the service road where there were a couple of young folks who are walking right on the road even though they have a good amount of sidewalk available. They kept blocking everyone despite every vehicle blaring horn and going past through them closely. Service roads here are treated two ways even though they are just a bit wider than single way roads and these guys were occupying half of the road carelessly. I blared horns a couple of times to overtake them but still they were adamant to move. There are vehicles coming on the opposite side of the road continuously, so there is no way for me to go. I came to a complete stop, blared horns, couldn't get these guys to move and I hence made a decision that I can pass through them closely and safely. I waited for the opposite vehicular density to reduce and then I made my move. Guess what, these guys further came onto the road and by the time my bonnet had already crossed them and suddenly in a split second, one of the guys elbow got hit by my side mirror.

I drive very sedately and maybe I was driving at around 20kmph when this happened. I wanted to stop and check but was afraid that I can be a victim of mob violence even though as per me it's not my mistake. I hence drove away and in the side mirror, I could see them hurling abuses at me with some hand gestures. I know I may not be 100% correct.

I have a dashcam but unfortunately this incident was not recorded as we were copying some old files from the SD card and forgot to reinsert it in dashcam.

What should I have done better in this situation?
TGDI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 17:15   #12427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGDI View Post
What should I have done better in this situation?
Not driven aggressively. Not even passive-aggressively!

Yes, I know: when others are being absolute jerks, it is much more easily said than done, but it is the answer.

If you are forced to drive really close to someone, don't do it at 20, or 10 kph. Do it at 1 or 2 kph. Remember what it feels like to walk into something: it can hurt. And any faster can really injure.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 19:45   #12428

May not be the one from the list of top 5 bad drivers. But nevertheless this is the usual scene near toll plazas. To save a minute, try to put everyone at risk. And irony is that he made this risky move and still got stuck much longer than me.

And honorable mention to another idiot who was blaring horns at me while I was waiting

TGDI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 06:59   #12429
BHPian

Ive been driving for only 6 months now, it is too early to be judging people. So experienced drivers do tell me if my observation is right. I have noticed the following in generic bad drivers.

1. Swaying - My dad taught me to look at the front wheel while ascertaining the viability of an overtake and i have realised that the drivers who sway a lot, maybe dont have a proper reconstruction of the position of the car on their mind and are an accident risk !

2. Incessant Braking in a relatively smooth traffic - All of us might do this. In a traffic where everyone is moving at ~the same speed, we just shift to the right gear for that speed or one gear up and just coast with the crowd, without just braking. If you spot someone just jumping forward and braking incessantly, he/she is probably a bad driver. (of course, this might mean lack of time, an automatic car etc., but the evidence has proven otherwise in many cases)

3. Jumping signals - This is relatively elementary and the chances are, you wont have a skrimish with them. A person who is insane enough to jump signals is most probably some one who would disregard the rules of driving in general.

4. Beams - The ones who use too much of their dim dippers are often, very bad drivers. I use the dipper too, but just once while i am tailing a vehicle. The ones who have a parkinsons issue with the beam stalk are either rushing to the hospital or are just plain mad drivers.

These are my observations. Did not mean to criticise anyone's driving style though !
shresan23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 14:51   #12430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
... Did not mean to criticise anyone's driving style though!
Don't be shy! If anyone disagrees, they will soon tell you. That is how we learn from each other

Quote:
In a traffic where everyone is moving at ~the same speed, we just shift to the right gear for that speed or one gear up and just coast with the crowd, without just braking.
My contribution... It is better to be in a lower gear than a higher gear. Lower gear means having more control over ones vehicle. Engine braking is enhanced, as is the possibility of instantly increasing speed.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th September 2023 at 14:54.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 15:13   #12431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Don't be shy!

My contribution... It is better to be in a lower gear than a higher gear.
Thanks man.

As far as the second part goes, I totally agree with the staying in a lower gear part. I constantly practise it when the traffic is particularly notorious. I am referring to those over enthusiastic drivers who tend to jerk forward, kiss the lead car's bumper, brake hard and repeat. This practise, as i am led to believe, kills your mileage, wears a lot of parts out and is generally an unsafe way to drive.

One more issue with this type of driving is that while you have more braking power, you also have more acceleration on your end. If, while you are accelerating, the car in front decided to tap on the brakes, a rear collision is probable.

And when the traffic is sedate, i switch to a higher gear, to reduce the accelerator input. I account for the loss in control or braking power by maintaining extra distance from the car in front, thereby giving me more time for a bit of hard braking and down shifting. Yes, in an emergency, i will wear the brake pad down more, but emergencies dont happen everyday.

And i also make sure i am ready for one, in such a scenario.
shresan23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 15:49   #12432
GTE
BHPian

How to spot one? Easy throw a stone and the chances are very good that you will hit one.
GTE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 21:04   #12433
BHPian

Quote:
To save a minute, try to put everyone at risk. And irony is that he made this risky move and still got stuck much longer than me.

And honorable mention to another idiot who was blaring horns at me while I was waiting
OK, I have to ask.

I agree what the Nexon driver did was not very polite road manners, but didn't you do the exact same thing by moving in to the next lane? Maybe the car behind you felt that you took his place in the lane he was aiming for and was honking in protest, however safe it had been for you to move in to that lane?

Just to add, I have seen this happen several times and even when the lanes where completely full to half a km before the toll gate. My family members get irritated with me when I just select one lane and stick to it. Thus my question.

Last edited by asmr : 24th September 2023 at 21:21.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 21:11   #12434

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
OK, I have to ask.

I agree what the Nexon driver did was not very polite road manners, but didn't you do the exact same thing by moving in to the next lane? Maybe the car behind you felt that you took his place in the lane he was aiming for and was honking in protest, however safe it had been for you to move in to that lane?
I did look in the mirror and then made a move. I couldn't see anyone in my vicinity. Unfortunately I don't have a rear dashcam to prove the same. But, If you observe the video again, the honking started much later after I went into the lane. He was honking to get attention of toll plaza employees(he was displaying some ID card)
TGDI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 21:25   #12435
BHPian

Quote:
I did look in the mirror and then made a move. I couldn't see anyone in my vicinity. Unfortunately I don't have a rear dashcam to prove the same. But, If you observe the video again, the honking started much later after I went into the lane. He was honking to get attention of toll plaza employees(he was displaying some ID card)
Of course, I was not implying that you made an unsafe move. And also I do understand why you moved to the next lane (and the Nexon guy would be doing a facepalm for his choice ).

My speculation was more on the other car's intent. But from what you say, it might have been a 'government babu' or someone with exempt Fastag feeling too important to stop for a few seconds at the gate.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks