Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2023, 18:24   #12361
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdoc View Post
https://Youtu.be/FO-uxZuMUgY

Had to rely on my brakes and tyres as the guy could not hear the horn.
I understand that the fish eye lense effect on dashcams may give the effect of looking like things are closer than they seem. But please consider refraining from close overtakes like the one in the beginning.

Ideally, I personally think it's better to wait a second for a truck to pass you by before you make that overtake close to the scooter on your left (especially since the opposing lane is not chocked with traffic).

Not every rider is experienced to handle close sudden overtakes and if he looses control it would only be trouble for the guy in the car.
JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:20   #12362
Distinguished - BHPian

The disease of flashing lights!

Encountered this moron today morning on Railway Parallel road in Sahakarnagar, Bangalore. While the pedestrian too was very casual the way he was crossing the road without really assessing the density of traffic on both directions, the Bolero driver was a atypical Bangalore driver diagnosed with an incurable disease of flashing lights when you don't know what else to do, including slowing down:

The Bolero driver also tries to play smart with his quick maneuver to exhibit condescending behavior when he realises that I am sticking to my line rather than lay a green carpet to him. It barely misses hitting the pedestrian waiting on the median marker.

Flashing of lights these days has become way too common on our roads that at least 7 out of 10 vehicles indulge in this. You encounter them on a 2 lane road (city or highway) with tight overtaking spots or limited space to pass due to parked vehicles . I am sure all of these drivers picked up driving lessons by driving on 4 lane roads!!

Needless to say, I am not at all discussing about the parents dropping their kids home on 2 wheelers in this video without helmets or even talking on phone for that matter. This is now a norm.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd June 2023 at 11:22.
paragsachania is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:51   #12363
BHPian

It's raining cats and dogs today in Goa, and I just reached today for a meeting. Took an airport prepaid cab (Swift) which I was lucky to get as there were hardly any cars available. I hurriedly got inside and the car took off, and then I realized that the rear seatbelt just had the belt and no buckle. I pointed this out and he admitted that there are no rear seatbelt buckles.

The guy was driving 60+ when there was moderate traffic and crazy rains (and a lot of people including my driver were driving with Hazards, which is crazy, but I didn't want to go there), I repeatedly requested him to slow down, and don't perform aggressive overtakes. He said that he's already going slow! I was super nervous when it came to him taking corners without significantly slowing down. Vehicles splashed huge pools of water on the Swift and he didn't slow down much (didn't splash water on anyone though) anywhere. Plus high beam idiots, and everything. I don't think people understand how dangerous it is to go at even "normal" speeds at rains, they must think that they're driving "normally".

PS: There are poorly lit stretches in the "highway" that could be seriously dangerous. Drivers do not slow down at these stretches. My driver pointed out as much.

PPS: Had a nice ride to the airport in Trivandrum via a Hyundai Aura, where the car was new, had belts, and the driver was fairly sensible. I've come to appreciate such small things more and more every passing day!
epiccross is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 22:32   #12364
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Ignored the barricades ahead of me

2. Ignored my car shifting to right lane, with turn lights ON

3. Ignored the woman on the scooter(equally inattentive)

That ertiga guy was sure in a rush, and the woman was sure lucky

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st July 2023 at 22:34.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 07:00   #12365
BHPian

General comment: A recent highway drive , just showed me bad drivers are everywhere. People don't have patience to follow speed limits. Don't understand human and vehicle capabilities, A recent trend is that people blindly flashing there High beam LED lights to make way, even there is none to give way. 99% of drivers in our country have 0% discipline and roas manners.
navrddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 08:51   #12366
Distinguished - BHPian

Well behaved rider, uses indicators too:

To keep this post short, I would say that this was yet another moron whose only defence/argument would be "I used my indicators", because you don't need power for your lights, the light on your vehicle is the power these days, the power to do as you please!

paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 22:24   #12367

Given your knack for identifying the types of drivers to avoid, It'd be nice if you can turn this into a blog or something? You could use real-life stories (anonymized, of course) to illustrate these types and educate others on what to watch out for.

For an extra bit of depth, you could also look into local driving statistics. Like, did you know you can get some information about general driving records from a site like https://louisiana.recordspage.org/? You can get a sense of overall trends, which might add another dimension to your analysis.

Stay safe on the roads and keep these gems coming!
Old 10th July 2023, 13:13   #12368
BHPian

Was visiting Chennai after 6 months. The metro construction is in full swing on Ponamallee - Guindy and Ponamallee - Vadapalani stretch. The quality of driving has gone down to the dogs. Late nights this particular stretch near L&T is made single lane, with No Overtaking allowed.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-lnt.jpg

Used Uber a lot due to the amount of traffic. Must say Uber cars and autos had much better driving sense than most private car owners.

Sorry to say, lot of cars with TBhp stickers were driving like maniacs. forcing other road users with high beams and sudden overtakes in the single lane roads. Autos have been called a menace by many of the esteemed forum members here, but during this 2 weeks stay interacted with lot of auto and taxi drivers. They do acknowledge they are overworked and dont drive fast to save on every penny of fuel. None of the drivers drove over 50 kmph due to fear of the new fines. But impatient drivers overtook them. On June 7th night a black Verna with TN-5xxx registration (couldn't catch the number properly) overtook us in the single lane road and pushed our cab into a concrete barrier near L&T with flashing lights and incessant honking . Before I could snap, the car vanished. Taxi driver commented on seeing the "Live To Drive" sticker, should be "Live To Kill". Had a laugh and was equally ashamed to see the black Verna sporting the LTD sticker.

@Mods: is there any way the stickers can be earned and not just bought.
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 17:22   #12369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
Late nights this particular stretch near L&T is made single lane, with No Overtaking allowed.

@Mods: is there any way the stickers can be earned and not just bought.
I know the exact stretch, as I work in the DLF IT Park next door. And yes, I have logged out late in the night at times, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

Post probably 11 PM, you need to be extra careful and slow in those stretches. Sometimes there will be situations where you're pegged down to the side while trucks/vans squeeze by you from the opposite direction, missing your stationary car by mms. Patience becomes a big virtue in those conditions. I have seen cars going dangerously fast in those spaces while putting everyone at risk - all for saving a few seconds or gaining a few metres.

On the stickers bit, I'm not sure if you can stop anybody from buying those (the LTD sticker in particular is quite cool-looking) or if it is fair to even make that something to be earned (as in, not fair to expect the mods to enforce it). I'm not sure if naming them (their license plate, I mean) on forums might step a tad too close to cyber-bullying. But I agree with you that people who wear those stickers should be ashamed of themselves for driving recklessly. A vast majority of the time, there is literally no reason to drive recklessly.
Small Bot is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 17:21   #12370
Distinguished - BHPian

So this car with LTD sticker was just inviting another road rage incident today if not for the Innova driver’s sense. Notice from how long the Seltos was trying to cut in against the Innova even though there was plenty of gap behind it for him to merge and follow the Innova. In the end he just got stuck between the service road and main carriage way. If you are really a TBHPian and are reading this, that behaviour was totally unwanted.

audioholic is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 17:46   #12371
BHPian

Here are a few clips from my dashcam that showcases bad driving. In some instances I am not sure who is really at fault and I have captured a couple of clips like that in this small compilation.

Watch the clip at 00:41secs especially to see how impatient driver put everyone on the road at risk.

Last edited by asmr : 17th July 2023 at 17:47. Reason: For clarity
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 17:39   #12372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you are really a TBHPian and are reading this, that behaviour was totally unwanted.
For all you know, they could be. We would never be able to tell. If they are, then I'm pretty sure they're not going to say anything here though.

Also, did the Seltos just randomly overtake the Innova at the very end as well, after entering the service lane?

The Seltos driver is lucky that the Innova driver decided to just let things go. I hear and read about too many incidents these days where drivers retaliate violently after rash driving by someone else.

At times, I admit I feel that burn of hot rage too when someone does something really stupid or dangerous on the road around me, just that I'm too cautious/cowardly/pragmatic to do anything other than swear colorfully to myself. I know I'd be the first to lose in any form of actual fight.
Small Bot is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 19:22   #12373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post

Also, did the Seltos just randomly overtake the Innova at the very end as well, after entering the service lane?
So there is a point where the road splits into a service road and a main carriageway. The Innova carefully planned his move from the right end of the road to the service lane on the left. He didnt really cut across the road. But this seltos was trying to overtake him and cut into the service lane. However the Seltos driver was stupid enough to not understand that the median was fast approaching and he wasnt faster than the Innova. So the Innova driver just kept driving and the Seltos then faced the Median line and a cop who was watching this all the while gave him a mouthful
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 19:56   #12374
BHPian

A bad passenger and in this case a bad driver also. He should not have opened the sun roof in the first place.

The video is self explanatory. Watch the creta coming from the left.

Count the number of impatient drivers in the video especially those taking the U turns.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st July 2023 at 10:08. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Old 21st July 2023, 10:49   #12375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
A bad passenger and in this case a bad driver also. He should not have opened the sun roof in the first place.

The video is self explanatory. Watch the creta coming from the left.

Count the number of impatient drivers in the video especially those taking the U turns.
Sunroof fellow, i presume alcohol is the culprit! Just why!?!

A sudden brake and he will find himself being superman for a few seconds.

As for the u-turners, not surprised. My time is more important than others. How dare he drive such a big vehicle and delay me. I will squeeze in and go and let him do what he wants

How hard can it be just to wait a few seconds for the person in front to complete the turn. If it's a large vehicle, leave a gap for him to reverse no?

Oh well...
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks