Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 11:36   #6782
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you remember motor-bike+side-car? Whatever happened to those? Did they exist in India?

Yes they did exist, but long long ago. My dad used have one on his triumph or BSA. He was also crazy about bikes like me Unfortunately, after a couple of accidents on bikes, he decided to move to cycles, and then moved scooters!!

I think, some lambrettas also had this in chennai. But all this is a long time back
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 14:07   #6783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'd rented a parking spot in a building close to my place (my own building doesn't have enough parking space), and the guy assigned the spot next to me seems a long-lost brother of this guy. An entire stretch on my car's left rear door is full of small dot-sized dents from where this idiot's carelessly opened doors slammed into my car. I spoke to him once or twice, then gave up and rented a parking spot in another building.

Needless to say, his own car was so badly kept it was impossible to tell it wasn't junk if I hadn't seen it move.
Exactly same situation I am in. We have covered parking in our society. The covering is such that between two poles there is two parked vehicles. Now, there is two options to park here... one to directly turn into the parking slot or two to reverse drive into the parking slot. My neighbor has this habit of turning directly into the parking slot thereby his car's rear portion always ends up close to the yellow line. This leaves me very little room to maneuver and reverse my car for parking. I am thinking of leaving some note or shaming him on the parking mistake.
Old 27th September 2014, 00:51   #6784
BHPian

Look at this small tempo carrying a not so small banner of a political party.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0437.jpg
Old 27th September 2014, 17:08   #6785
BHPian

Speaking of parking, our house is close to a nursing home and consequently all kinds of vehicles are left parked on the lane for hours. Being a residential neighbourhod the roads are narrow and even when folks park along one side taking our cars in and out of the garage can be tricky if its a large vehicle parked at an angle.

See this City parked without a care for other motorists. Compare him with the red i10 in front. All this so the rear door can be kept open for some 'airiness'

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_3593.jpg
Old 3rd October 2014, 18:34   #6786
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at this bad rider. How cool he looks whereas, in fact, is not. He has just got himself saved by the skin of his teeth after initiating an accident.
He entered the Ernakulam vaikom Main Road from a by-lane, rather cut across the trajectory of an Indica with an M800 closely on its heels. This biker bloke played Kabbadi with the Indiica. The Indica came screeching to a halt but the M 800 crash-gated into it.
The bloke on the bike managed to flee after initiating an accident.
It is catalytic Guys like him who make our roads quite unsafe a place.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddie-1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled2-copy.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2014, 20:28   #6787
BHPian

Here is one I encountered on 30th September. Bad and aggressive as well. The guy wanted to overtake from the wrong side. Starts at 7:58:45. Finally overtook. Came in front and applied sudden brakes.

An Indian Air Force person in uniform.

Wonder what was going on inside his head. I could have missed applying brakes.

Old 4th October 2014, 11:32   #6788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
Here is one I encountered on 30th September. Bad and aggressive as well. The guy wanted to overtake from the wrong side. Starts at 7:58:45. Finally overtook. Came in front and applied sudden brakes.

An Indian Air Force person in uniform.

Wonder what was going on inside his head. I could have missed applying brakes.
From the video it looks as if he wanted to give you a payback.
Not common but what I have seen sometimes is that some drivers come around to give you a similar treatment (maybe you have unknowingly cut them off, honked someone else but they took it to be them, etc)

If you look closely he does an overtaking maneuver rashly trying to pin you in and then after braking hard moves to the left and does not speedup. Almost as if he has settled an old agenda in kind

Last edited by racer_m : 4th October 2014 at 11:34.
Old 4th October 2014, 11:44   #6789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
From the video it looks as if he wanted to give you a payback.
Not common but what I have seen sometimes is that some drivers come around to give you a similar treatment (maybe you have unknowingly cut them off, honked someone else but they took it to be them, etc)

If you look closely he does an overtaking maneuver rashly trying to pin you in and then after braking hard moves to the left and does not speedup. Almost as if he has settled an old agenda in kind
The guy here had been wanting to overtake from left for quite sometime. Attempting to cut in heavy traffic. I hadn't obliged him. May be that was the trigger point.
Old 4th October 2014, 13:11   #6790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
The guy here had been wanting to overtake from left for quite sometime. Attempting to cut in heavy traffic. I hadn't obliged him. May be that was the trigger point.
I had a scuffle with one auto driver here last month. He had tried to overtake me at a place where there was a divider and he definitely couldn't have done it for sure if I slowed down to let him through. But, he overtook me afterwards and stopped in front of me to pick an argument, but in vein as I did not give a damn. I did report this incident to the Bangalore Traffic Police, but unfortunately, did not get a response from them (They might have thought that this is normal, but we need to remember that little drops of water make a mighty ocean). Anyway, these bunch of people are everywhere and we just need to learn to live with them.
Old 4th October 2014, 15:13   #6791
Distinguished - BHPian

I was bullied by the driver of a white Volvo, tailgating and trying to force his way past, on narrow side streets, the other day, so I slowed down.

Yes, yes, I know... makes me almost as bad as him. Actually, I always slow down when being tailgated, for safety, because I need stopping distance for two. But yes, this time I was just being bloody minded.

So I suppose that's two bad drivers there.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 08:59   #6792
Distinguished - BHPian

A Landrover guy trying to take a U-turn at a 'No U-turn'intersection. Apparently, money can't buy road sense. :-(

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-5.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 13:28   #6793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Apparently, money can't buy road sense. :-(
But it can, people seem to think, buy the road.

It is not so many years since the few expensive cars on the road were driven well and cautiously, but not now. And I fear that it is not only the youths that use these vehicles as bully machines. I've even seen these people breathing down the necks of women on scooters: in one instance, an Audi, unable to pass the traffic in the right-hand lane, trying to bulldoze this poor woman out of his way in the left-hand lane. Team-BBHP does not allow the kind of language I want to use about these guys. And yes, I'm pretty sure they are nearly all male.

I don't care if it is a Maruti or a Merc behind me, in light traffic I will give way to someone who wants to go faster than I do, but I will not make an effort to get out of the way of a thug.
Old 6th October 2014, 16:02   #6794
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

During a weekend trip to Bekal and back encountered several bad drivers. Couple of examples:
-On the Chengala-Chattanchal road there is a ghat section and several signages warning drivers not to overtake and overspeed, accident prone area, etc. At one of the sharp curves there is even a divider to prevent vehicles from going onto the opposite lane but this is exactly where a moron in a Maruti Zen decided to take the wrong side of the divider at the curve so he can overtake a bus who was driving in the correct lane. Luckily for me, I was driving uphill and was quite slow so let the guy pass diagonally in front of me so that he could cross over to the correct lane where the divider ended.
-At the toll plazas, vehicles were forming double lanes and gunning for the same toll booth, unnecessarily causing lot of confusion
God save our country!
Old 6th October 2014, 16:41   #6795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
-At the toll plazas, vehicles were forming double lanes and gunning for the same toll booth, unnecessarily causing lot of confusion
This is a specialty at the Attibele and Krishnagiri toll booths as well; especially when there was a long week end and people are rushing back to Bangalore. Mind you the folks who do this are all well educated folks who do this, and not folks like cab drivers etc. The toll booth management team also seems to be least bit bothered with all this.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks