Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 16:07   #9436
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not really about you or your incident, but speaking generally...

I might be getting confused with the rules for prevention of collision at sea here but I don't think an overtaking vehicle has right of way as such. I think the overtaking vehicle has to watch out for others.

But, on the other hand, it is equally wrong to pull out in front of, or obstruct, the overtaking vehicle. So I'm not sure that there is a black/white rule here.

Hope this isn't a useless post. Just that the whole thing needs thinking about. And there are two many people who, like your guy, think that indicating or honking gives them rights.
Whilst the overtaking vehicle may not have 'right of way' certainly he has 'right of control' to the lane he is in?

Legally i do not believe you have to let a car merge into the lane you are currently in, but its always nice to extend a bit of courtesy to fellow road users and allow them the safe to merge. Saves us from getting agitated and makes the journey all the more peaceful. Hard to do in our current road conditions, I know - I have a tough time doing it
Samir Taheer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 16:44   #9437
BHPian

Just because he has said that he was overtaking doesn't mean that he was wrong. Think of it as the other guy trying to merge into your lane by forcibly making you apply brakes and I think most of you guys would agree that that is wrong. Have seen it umpteen times on highways where people don't think twice before making the other guy apply sudden brakes on the pretext of changing lanes by giving an indicator. I also don't allow such people to join my lane if it means that I would have to slow down as that is not correct. IMO, lane changing, whether for overtaking or for any other reason should always be done in such a way that vehicles already occupying that lane aren't made to slow down and I think those are the correct norms the world over.
rdst_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 17:16   #9438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Whilst the overtaking vehicle may not have 'right of way' certainly he has 'right of control' to the lane he is in? ... ... ...
I would not put it that strongly, but I would say that pulling out in front of such a vehicle would be one of those instances in which the rear vehicle would not be at fault for the collision. Thinking further into this: If I want to overtake, I should check that nobody is already about overtake me, and, if they are, wait.

If I remember approximately right, from the British Highway code, somewhere it says that one not cause other drivers to have to avoid you. This is a pretty good all-living-together guideline. But I'm afraid it wouldn't catch on here.

The mentioned rules for ships also have a great cover all, to the effect that, after mentioning all of the stipulated situations in which one vessel should give way, it is down to all parties to avoid collision.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 17:59   #9439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
So, I pull to the kerb a little ahead and wait for him to pass by, which he does. Anyway, what I want to know from you guys is that can we actually sue the RTO or Uber/Ola etc. for populating our pot-holed roads with this filth. I'm not condoning my behaviour in this incident and I've promised myself not to repeat it. But, it's very frustrating and I'm still seething almost three hours after the fact.

Serenity Now! Serenity Now!
LOL! I had to reply to this post purely because (and I might be wrong), you're a Seinfeld fan? That saying at the end has been made only too famous by George and Frank Costanza. Anyway if its a happy coincidence even then no worries.

Its simple, car owners like us have to be clever, even if the whole world isn't. You should invite an argument only if you're capable of having one (verbal only of course), but its better to let such people pass by because even if they're not capable of a physical assault they'll still beg for one and that's asking for trouble. You're in Bangalore, the city with the highest usage of OLA/UBER cabs, the drivers have become total loons after having to face the city traffic day-in-day-out.. many motorists in the city do such fine drama like recording your actions via phone cam (to intimidate you, even if you weren't wrong) and threatening assault. This is a kaliyuga (not that I believe in such things but the description of the word vis-a-vis what's happening these days is aptly matching), so do not push your luck.. I've seen motorists chasing down other motorists live in action, its not a pretty sight.

No one in India likes to be overtaken, even if they are on the left-most lane doing 10 kmph they'll change 2 lanes and charge at 110kmph upon seeing a vehicle come behind them. Cabbies are doing a business, a frustrating business, they've learnt the art of cutting across vehicles dangerously so that they can end their trips quicker and get on with their lives, if you anger the wrong kinda driver then he will trouble you rest assured (and I'm controlling my anger against such people as well, believe me I've a temper against sheer stupidity). Suing OLA/UBER for letting loose such drivers is kinda hilarious, I mean we might as well sue their school or parents for not teaching them compliance and civility but yeah if the violation of road rules has taken place like jumping signals, extremely obvious rash driving, damage of property etc, and if you possess the video recording of said events you can post the same onto the traffic police web page in FB, its all about proof (action not guaranteed though).

If you're indeed a Seinfeld fan, remember the episode where George Costanza does the opposite of everything he felt like doing (ironically he even smiles and lets a car go ahead after that car sharply cuts into him) , Yeah!

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st August 2017 at 18:03.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 18:37   #9440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
LOL! I had to reply to this post purely because (and I might be wrong), you're a Seinfeld fan?

but its better to let such people pass by...You're in Bangalore, the city with the highest usage of OLA/UBER cabs, the drivers have become total loons..

If you're indeed a Seinfeld fan, remember the episode where George Costanza does the opposite of everything he felt like doing (ironically he even smiles and lets a car go ahead after that car sharply cuts into him) , Yeah!
The critter was speaking on his phone,no hands free here,jabbering on and veering into me.Even later while he was purportedly tailing me, was fidgeting with his phone.Must spay these curs for the madness to cease at some point in the future,if not right away.

Have been a Seinfeld fan forever now,the mirthful nothingness of it all! Straight lift from the episode you're referring to Serenity Now!
thorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 00:57   #9441
BHPian

Quote:
Now, I take umbrage, get beside him and shove him back into his lane by steering sharp to my left into him ...
What I want to know from you guys is that can we actually sue the RTO or Uber / Ola etc. for populating our pot-holed roads with this filth.
But, it's very frustrating and I'm still seething almost three hours after the fact.

Serenity Now! Serenity Now!
Quote:
Must spay these curs for the madness to cease at some point in the future, if not right away.
I'm bemused by the strong reaction to the incident, which is probably experienced at least a handful of times, every single commute.

My view is that it takes two hands to clap, & as I type this I'm reminded of the final line from Orwell's 'Animal Farm'.

I'm probably overstepping my bounds here a tad, but some Anger-Management therapy may be beneficial too.

P.S. True Seinfeld fans know : Serenity now, Insanity later

Last edited by im_srini : 2nd August 2017 at 01:27.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:29   #9442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The critter was speaking on his phone, no hands free here, jabbering on and veering into me. Even later while he was purportedly tailing me, was fidgeting with his phone.Must spay these curs for the madness to cease at some point in the future, if not right away.

Have been a Seinfeld fan forever now, the mirthful nothingness of it all! Straight lift from the episode you're referring to. Serenity Now!
I'm an OLA driver working in this road hell called Bangalore. I would like to relate an almost accident that happened to me on the evening of 31st. My car, the love of my life, my sole bread winner, was attacked upon by an uptown, dictionary spouting fellow.

Here's what happened. I was on my way to pickup a customer from Indiranagar and was already delayed by the traffic. She was constantly calling to inquire where I was. The old lady was hard of hearing and she couldn't hear me talk. So I had to take the phone off bluetooth and talk loudly to her.

I was on the middle lane and driving at speeds well under 40 kmph. I noticed this slow moving truck ahead and switched on my turn indicators to overtake him. Suddenly, the car on my right decides to get aggressive and starts honking like crazy. He then suddenly turns his car to the left trying to hit me and if it wasn't for my lightining reflexes, he definitely would have hit me. This really shocked me and now I had to stop that fellow and give him some driving advice. I overtook him and got down to talk to him at the next signal. He got down as well and I explained to him about signals and indicators. But he was angry with me for some reason (maybe the poor fellow had just fought with his wife). He was blaming the RTO for the incident and talking gibberish. Sad. Then, as I am talking, he just decides to leave. Since I couldn't do anything more to educate the fellow and the old lady was again calling, I continued on my way hoping that he does not get aggressive with some other poor soul.

This could be the other driver's version of the event.

I always try to justify the other fellow's actions with some silly reason - maybe he HAS to go to the loo; maybe his wife is about to deliver; maybe he's got ants in his pants. Anything. Keeps me sane (with an insane smile on my face).

Works most of the time. Might not work if I were a cab driver in Bangalore. I would never want to be one either. Not that there is anything wrong with it.
samaspire is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:50   #9443
BHPian

@Vidyaranyapura : moron strikes in the morning. This guy zig zagged into this corner and now he blocks vehicle movement. Ugh !Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501647595.847296.jpg
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:27   #9444
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

While overtaking I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY, or in other words - MY WAY IS THE RIGHT WAY, whether from the left or from the right.

Here is an example of the (im)perfectly lucky idiot. TN10AL4590-purple XUV
Lucky in the sense that the white Ritz (taxi) stopped a bit late. Had he stopped slightly earlier, the scooter guy would have crossed across and the XUV could have rammed into the scooter. (Oh my insight )

And please excuse the mallu lingo in the video
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:47   #9445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Had he stopped slightly earlier, the scooter guy would have crossed across and the XUV could have rammed into the scooter. (Oh my insight )
In all probability, yes. It is also quite possible that both of the (XUV and scooter guy) saw each other and decided to move ahead. This is the normal scenario. Scooter guy thinks that I will be across in a flash while XUV thinks that no-one dare come in my path

Most people drive assuming that the vehicle ahead will keep on moving at a steady pace. The moment the vehicle ahead even steps on the brakes, there is panic braking behind and this cascades into forming a bottleneck.

Just today morning a school van cut across from the middle lane into the fast lane inches from my car bumper. At the next signal coincidentally I pulled up alongside him and lowered the passenger side window. I told him that he driving a school van and he should drive more carefully ("aho kaka, shalechi van ahe neet chalawa jara"). The moment I finished he let loose a long string of expletives which made me close the window and regret my decision to drill some sense into him.

Nowadays I just do not engage with anyone and even on occasions that I do, I keep my voice and tone very inoffensive. Guess now I have to totally stop reacting.
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 14:36   #9446
Senior - BHPian

Had a bad driver tailing me for a while today, while on my way to work. But he had his come-uppance alright, and it made me laugh.

Mr. Grey Vitara Brezza joins the stream of traffic on the main road by turning left from a side street, and is behind me. Despite the fact that traffic is moving smoothly albeit a bit slowly, he is constantly honking and tailgating. At the next junction where we both were turning right, we had to wait a bit, and he tries overtaking me while taking the turn - only to encounter the road divider. Mr. Grey Vitara Brezza does not like that one bit.

About 200m down the road, I notice a stationary bus in the right lane but no jam, so I deduce (correctly) that the bus had broken down. I move to the left lane. Mr. Grey Vitara Brezza overtakes me, gives me a smirk. In a trice, the smirk is wiped off that face as his face is now right up the bus's back side. As I pass him slowly in the left lane, he is honking madly at the broken down bus.

I wonder when (or if) it will dawn on him that honking at a stationary, broken down bus, will not make it move? I didn't see Mr. Grey Vitara Brezza in my mirror at the traffic lights down the road, so I need to check on my way back home if he is still sitting there, honking at the broken down bus.
KiloAlpha is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 14:51   #9447
Senior - BHPian

This is how I ended up being a bad driver last evening! I had went to meet a friend of mine and on returning home, I was asked to buy couple of things from nearby supermarket. So off I went , bought them and only after having come to the parking I realized that I have come in my bike and I don't have a carry bag as well.

Being a lazy bum and over believing in my ability to carry the items, I kept them on the tank with the support of handlebar and started to ride but few hundred meters I realized I wouldn't be able to balance them. So I removed my helmet, kept them inside it and hung the helmet on my arms. I was cursing myself all the way back home for not carrying a bag.

If anybody noticed a guy on a red pulsar riding with the helmet dangling on the left arm around V V Puram area in Bangalore that would be me!
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 15:16   #9448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
This is how I ended up being a bad driver last evening!
As long as you were riding sanely and following traffic rules (apart from helmet) I can say you were not bad but careless on yourself if that comforts you

If any mishap would have happened, it would have been you at the receiving end. Good to know that you knew well.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 15:57   #9449
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
If anybody noticed a guy on a red pulsar riding with the helmet dangling on the left arm around V V Puram area in Bangalore that would be me!
Not a safe thing to do, you had to sacrifice your safety and took the risk just to carry a few things home
Please do consider keeping a small shopping bag in your vehicle if possible. If you don't have a storage box, even the small document/tool box of your motorcycle can hold a small, folded cloth bag.

We make sure there's always one such bag in the scooter under-seat storage. Same goes with the car, always has at least couple of shopping bags if not more, hate buying/collecting plastic bags!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 16:19   #9450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not a safe thing to do, you had to sacrifice your safety and took the risk just to carry a few things home
Please do consider keeping a small shopping bag in your vehicle if possible. If you don't have a storage box, even the small document/tool box of your motorcycle can hold a small, folded cloth bag.

We make sure there's always one such bag in the scooter under-seat storage. Same goes with the car, always has at least couple of shopping bags if not more, hate buying/collecting plastic bags!
Yes I do understand. We always keep a bag in our vehicles except my bike as there is no storage box available. I also make sure to take out the car/scooter for any grocery shopping but yesterday was one time when I forgot and paid the price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks