Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 15:03   #1291
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Hi All,

I have been reading this thread for sometime and understood there are 3 brands which are preferred in Isofix category. Graco, Britax and Chicco. Now Chicco has a store in Bangalore which is a natural choice for me.
Hello Aniyo,

My daughter is 9 months old and I was in a similar situation. finally went for Graco extend2fit 3 in 1 from Amazon. So far very happy with this. The quality is good, it has multiple recline levels and gives peace of mind. we are using ISOFIX but as as others mentioned ISOFIX just makes it easier to install.
bhushan08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 16:03   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Hello Aniyo,

My daughter is 9 months old and I was in a similar situation. finally went for Graco extend2fit 3 in 1 from Amazon. So far very happy with this. The quality is good, it has multiple recline levels and gives peace of mind. we are using ISOFIX but as as others mentioned ISOFIX just makes it easier to install.
Thanks. Can you fit 2 adults after fixing the car seat. I drive Nexon for reference
Old 11th May 2022, 16:15   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Can you fit 2 adults after fixing the car seat. I drive Nexon for reference
I think it should be possible. I have not had to encounter this situation but it covers less than 1 seat width on my X3. Other two seats are free and I believe two adults can sit comfortably. You can get from Amazon and return if you run into issues. It will last longer as it can be extended and can be used upto higher weights.
Old 11th May 2022, 17:24   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any of the car seats will take space of an one full adult, so you can use that as a reference. So if Nexon back seat can fit 3 adults comfortably, then you can use a car seat and 2 adults too, with slightly lesser comfort.
I have the Britax booster seat for Octavia and with that seating 2 adults is possible, but they will not be very comfortable on long drives.
Only difference is where the person can be flexible, car seats are not.

Last edited by sunikkat : 11th May 2022 at 17:26.
Old 11th May 2022, 17:43   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Any of the car seats will take space of an one full adult, so you can use that as a reference. So if Nexon back seat can fit 3 adults comfortably, then you can use a car seat and 2 adults too, with slightly lesser comfort.
I have the Britax booster seat for Octavia and with that seating 2 adults is possible, but they will not be very comfortable on long drives.
Only difference is where the person can be flexible, car seats are not.
My kiddo would turn 11 in a few months and has been on car seat and now booster all through her life. With a booster in place it may be possible to fit in 2 more average adults but with a car seat the back seat becomes a 2 seater. It is impossible to fir in 3 even with two fit adult individuals. In case one tries ready to get some choicest words from the person in middle.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:55   #1296
BHPian

Anyone here using Joie i-snug car seat ? . Joie seems to be pretty famous in UK. It costs here twice the price they charge in UK. Also how easy is to use it without the base ?. The i-fix base costs more than the car seat.
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:55   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
Also how easy is to use it without the base ?
Without the base, isn't it just a carry cot? Carry cots are not stable.

If you are looking for infants (right from newborn) with something that attaches to ISOFIX, you will have to spend north of 20K.
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:59   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Without the base, isn't it just a carry cot? Carry cots are not stable.
From the specification, we can fix the seat using seatbelt. YouTube videos are claiming the fix is pretty stable. But need to see in person to confirm. See the diagram from Joie for seatbelt based installation.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-screenshot_20220722151010474_com.adobe.reader.jpg  

Last edited by mathewspaul : 22nd July 2022 at 15:11.
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:18   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewspaul View Post
From the specification, we can fix the seat using seatbelt. YouTube videos are claiming the fix is pretty stable.
Are you saying this for carry cots? I have used the Chicco carry cot once many years back when I did not have the awareness. It does not stay stable on the move, and I was babying around the car at 80 without any sudden accelerations or decelerations.

The seat belt mechanism works for proper car seats, I've used a Diono Radian RXT for 5 years with the seat belt for my son from year 2 to 8. Just won't recommend using carry cots as car seats without the base
Old 4th September 2022, 10:24   #1300
Senior - BHPian

OK so I have a question, to which I can see many contradicting answers online.

If I have to install a car sear in rear facing (or fwd facing for future) position, from strictly a safety aspect of view, every one agrees the middle row in the back is the best. Now my car, (the scross) does not have a 3 point seatbelt in the middle row, hence getting a secure mount is out of the question. The other two options are outer 2 seats behind the passenger and driver. Amongst these 2 picks (behind driver and passenger seat) which is the best from a safety point of view. Many websites are informing that these are pretty much the same. Is it?

PS: I can understand from an ease of use perspective why passenger side is better to get the child in and out of the seats. Is that the only reason why the passenger side gets recommended?

Last edited by govigov : 4th September 2022 at 10:26.
Old 4th September 2022, 10:39   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Amongst these 2 picks (behind driver and passenger seat) which is the best from a safety point of view. Many websites are informing that these are pretty much the same. Is it?

PS: I can understand from an ease of use perspective why passenger side is better to get the child in and out of the seat, the passenger side is better. Is that the only reason why this side gets recommended?
The passenger side gets recommended often because it's convenient to use and easier to monitor the child of traveling alone with the child.
In terms of safety, there is not much difference in either positions. In India, the side impact data I have come across shows that the left and right side are just as likely to get hit. The driver side can be considered riskier in a parking scenario as the child and the adult are exposed to traffic while keeping and taking out the child from the seat.
Rohan265 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 20:01   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Is that the only reason why the passenger side gets recommended?
I use passenger side. Its easier and safer when you have to assist your co-passenger with taking care of the child during unscheduled roadside stops (apart from the safety during parking).
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 22:53   #1303
Senior - BHPian

We are finding it difficult to strap the baby into the rear seating position from the door, we invariably go via the seat and then strap the baby into the seat.

We do not follow the safety guidelines fully, that is, if you strap the baby in before you start from your garage, the baby fights a lot and does not sleep. But, if you keep the baby with the mom in the back seat for the first 10 minutes, we can easily transition to the car seat and sleeps for the rest of the duration.

I think I am going to experiment with the child seat behind the driver's seat and then see how things are turning out for us. I really wanted to know if there is any other reasons from a safety point of view rather than ease of use.
Old 6th September 2022, 06:26   #1304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think I am going to experiment with the child seat behind the driver's seat and then see how things are turning out for us. I really wanted to know if there is any other reasons from a safety point of view rather than ease of use.
I've been using car seats for last about 5 years (my son is 5 years and 2 months). It's placed behind the passenger seat. It's difficult at times to strap him without going in from the other side. My take on seat positioning -

Behind driver seat -
  • Easier to strap the child from non traffic side.
  • Passenger gets down on non traffic side of road even when there is no child in seat.
  • The child may feel scared as when alone with the driver, he/she cannot see any other person directly.

Behind passenger seat -
  • The driver, if alone with the child, has easier access to child as well as can have a cursory look whenever required.
  • The child stays calm as he/she has direct look at the person driving the car.
  • The passenger has to get down on the moving traffic side of road. That can be hazardous.

I've used both sides and find the one behind passenger seat to be little better from child's point of view. I've Britax Romer seat with car's seatbelt to be used for securing the child. I've also used Graco seat till he was about 4 and half when he overgrew it. I've even tried Graco in middle seat and secured it using lap belt and it's own isofix tethering belt secured in boot. It was the best placement but due to him overgrowing the seat and the new Britax seat cannot be secured with a lap belt, hence behind the passenger seat now.

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20220824_203329.jpg
Graco

"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-img_20220824_203555.jpgBritax

Last edited by BoneCollector : 6th September 2022 at 06:49.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 06:35   #1305
BANNED

Quote:
If I have to install a car sear in rear facing (or fwd facing for future) position, from strictly a safety aspect of view, every one agrees the middle row in the back is the best. Now my car, (the scross) does not have a 3 point seatbelt in the middle row, hence getting a secure mount is out of the question.
I have used the middle row for securing car seats for around 7 years using lap belts. Mine is Chicco Nextfit and it didn’t move more than an inch once secured. I don’t know which brand of car seat you use, have you tried the lap belt and seen how much movement it makes? Very unlikely to move if secured properly.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks