Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 03:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Virajpet to kerala border is absolutely horrible.
Yes. The pot-holes are too huge and a car like Estilo is a definite no-no.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Dude dont go via virajpet. Go via Kutta that is in south coorg. You would need to take a deviation after you reach gonikoppal in coorg. Then from kutta it goes to kerala border then manandhwadi and goes on...My parents went in ths route last week as they had to go from coorg to guruvayoor. Well only comment they had was the road was better
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Well repair work only after election saar...that is how it is in coorg....or when big project comes....till then mud is used to fill up the potholes and in CASE more money comes then they use some thing called stones
Old 4th December 2007, 05:43   #49
BHPian

I've done Telicherry-Virajpet in 2003 and again in 2006. There was no attempt at repair in this period. This is the worst stretch of road I have driven. Kutta-Gonikoppal-Mananthavady is the best way to go.
Old 4th December 2007, 07:25   #50
BHPian

reve70: do you luv your car ? if yes , never dream of taking your car in virajpet route. better drive through waynad , you will be happy that your car still exists... those roads still haunts me ... but agin if u decided to go in the virajpet route do pen down some crane service number as it will be helpful...
Old 4th December 2007, 09:51   #51
BHPian

As far as I know, this road was never repaired in last 5-6 years.

It appears like some people with vested interests are ensuring that this route is never usable.
Old 4th December 2007, 10:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

sivadas

If you look at it like some people with vested interest are ensuring that the roads are like that then what should i tell you about the entire roads in coorg!!!
All the roads are pathetic and no one actually cares to repair them. Everyone keeps throwing the blame about. Only last year the people came together and pooled in cash and repaired the road from kanoor to kutta....ever heard of stuff like that??
Well coming back to the topic go by the route i suggested coz you will thank your stars. Its better to reach your destination rather than get stuck somewhere
Old 4th December 2007, 12:38   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
sivadas

If you look at it like some people with vested interest are ensuring that the roads are like that then what should i tell you about the entire roads in coorg!!!
All the roads are pathetic and no one actually cares to repair them. Everyone keeps throwing the blame about. Only last year the people came together and pooled in cash and repaired the road from kanoor to kutta....ever heard of stuff like that??
Well coming back to the topic go by the route i suggested coz you will thank your stars. Its better to reach your destination rather than get stuck somewhere
I am travelling from Kannur to Bangalore (and return) for more than 12 years now.

Road was always bad, but it was motrable since some patch work was happening occasionally (or atleast once in 2 years).

But for last many years, this road is totally abandoned and you cannot call it a road any more. As a matter of fact it has become extremely dangerous.

If all roads in Coorg are having same fate, it is really really bad.

Old 4th December 2007, 14:27   #54

I had travelled till virajpet abt 3 weeks back. Till then the roads are ok a little narrow....
Old 4th December 2007, 15:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

One piece of advice is to take gonikoppal ponampet- hudikeri-kutta road
Dont and seriously Dont take the Ponampet-Kanoor-kutta route.
I stay on this route and its bad.
If you like jungles you can take a deviation in hunsur towards H.D kote road and travel through the forest stretch and directly reaching kutta but you will have to take this road before 6 in the evening
Old 5th December 2007, 11:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Well latest update...take the kanoor route as the route via hudikeri is bad.
Old 5th December 2007, 20:35   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Am planning a trip to Madikeri/Polibetta in Kodagu soon in my Aveo. Can anyone let me know the best route and its condition? I have read through the horror stories above: which route is best now?

Thanks in advance,
Old 7th December 2007, 19:50   #58
BHPian

For going to Madikeri, try to avoid Kushalanagara route as the roads are very bad. Better to take the Virajpet route which is Bangalore - Srirangapatnam - (Byepass Mysore) Hunsur - Gonikkopal - Virajpet - Madikeri. This route will be little longer, but roads were in good condition till last 2 months. There is another road from Periyapattana, but i am not sure about where it is connecting and its condition.
Old 10th January 2008, 09:36   #59

Hi, I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Kannur tomorrow. Any idea which is the best route to take now?

Old 10th January 2008, 12:53   #60
BHPian

I recently travelled that route but in two different directions.

Bangalore - Mysore - hunsur - Manathavady - Mattanur - Kuthuparamba - Kannur. Of this, I am not sure about hunsur - Manathavady as I travelled to Nagarhole from Hunsur, then to Kutta. There is a direct road from Hunsur to Manathavady as well, avoiding Kutta. I might have taken around 8.5 hours in thoute.

While returning, Kannur - Kuthuparamba - Panamaram - Meenangudi - Sulthan Bathery - Gundalpet - Nanjungad - Mysore - Bangalore. I left Kannur by 10:00 AM, reached Mysore by 3:00 PM, had late lunch, spent an hour at Mysore palace and left Mysore at 6:00 to reach Bangalore at around 8:15 PM, in Koramangala. In this route, be aware that the NH 212 which becomes miserable inside Muthanga WLS and beyond that as well.

Have a safe trip. But the trip was so enjoyable that I would not mind doing it again.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks