Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 13:05   #391
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Udupi - Jog Falls - Karwar - Hampi - Bangalore suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
Hello Friends,

I am planning on a Bangalore-Hampi trip next weekend. The plan is to take the usual NH4 route : https://goo.gl/maps/pp2ja

Have any of you gone through this route recently? How is the road from Chitradurga --> Hosahalli --> Hospet?
I think both routes are manageable, probably more truck traffic on Chitradurga route.
If you don't have plans to visit Chitradurga (fort, etc) you can take Hiriyur route. If you time it well, you can also include a quick visit to Vani Vilas Dam from Hiriyur (this turn is to the left of NH4 and about 20Km to the Dam). The turn for Hiriyur-Ballari road is to the right of NH4. I think signages for both these are not very prominent so just keep a watch out for this when nearing Hiriyur - for both you will need to get onto the service road and for the right turn towards Ballari, it will be below a flyover.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 20:40   #392
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Hi Civicsense,

Hopefully you are on the trip as I write this.
Please can you update on the route taken and the condition of roads?
I am planning to take this route in the coming weeks and an update would be great

Also, has anyone taken this route recently?
via NH7 and BELLARY Rd/Bellary - Uravakonda - Anantapur Rd

Any inputs on road conditions and travel time would be great!
Old 24th September 2015, 10:56   #393

Hi,

Anyone recently traveled Chitraduraga - Hospet or Hiriyur - Bellari route? I would like to get recommendation for the best route to Hospet from Bangalore.

Thx
Old 8th October 2015, 19:37   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think both routes are manageable, probably more truck traffic on Chitradurga route.
If you don't have plans to visit Chitradurga (fort, etc) you can take Hiriyur route. If you time it well, you can also include a quick visit to Vani Vilas Dam from Hiriyur (this turn is to the left of NH4 and about 20Km to the Dam). The turn for Hiriyur-Ballari road is to the right of NH4. I think signages for both these are not very prominent so just keep a watch out for this when nearing Hiriyur - for both you will need to get onto the service road and for the right turn towards Ballari, it will be below a flyover.

So which is the best route, in terms of road conditions after monsoon season..?
Old 8th October 2015, 22:42   #395
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
So which is the best route, in terms of road conditions after monsoon season..?
I would say take Hiriyur route.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 15:00   #396
Senior - BHPian

The problem with Hiriyur route the road after Bellary especially near Thoranagal which is generally Bad. Last time when we drove on Chitradurga - Hampi the road was in good condition but heavy truck traffic especially if you are driving in evening. Plan to drive on this road in the afternoon when drivers are taking a nap or lunch :-) There are few unsigned humps on this road you have to careful.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 19:36   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Update for this question, after having returned a short while ago from Hospet:

If traveling from Bangalore, you can take either route. However, the Hiriyur - Bellary route is better than the Chitradurga - Hospet route.

If traveling at night, would suggest to avoid the Chitradurga road since there are a few not so good sections and some pot-holes too. If driving during day, this should not be a problem since we can see the road surface better & drive accordingly.

Kudligi - Torangallu:
Road is being re-done. Suggest to avoid this section at this time

Accomodation at Hospet:
1. Malligi
2. Royal Orchid Kireeti
3. Krishna Palace
4. Hampi International (budget)
5. Swathi Hotel / Swathi delicacy. (budget)

Couple of other smaller places also available.

Last edited by condor : 12th October 2015 at 19:40.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 19:54   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Update for this question, after having returned a short while ago from Hospet:

If traveling from Bangalore, you can take either route. However, the Hiriyur - Bellary route is better than the Chitradurga - Hospet route.

If traveling at night, would suggest to avoid the Chitradurga road since there are a few not so good sections and some pot-holes too. If driving during day, this should not be a problem since we can see the road surface better & drive accordingly.

Kudligi - Torangallu:
Road is being re-done. Suggest to avoid this section at this time

Accomodation at Hospet:
1. Malligi
2. Royal Orchid Kireeti
3. Krishna Palace
4. Hampi International (budget)
5. Swathi Hotel / Swathi delicacy. (budget)

Couple of other smaller places also available.

Thanks a ton.
I plan to leave on the 24th of this month and the post couldn't have been timed better.
I have booked myself in at the Mallige.
Does the Hitel have a safe parking space?

How long does it take to drive via the 2 routes that you have mentioned? And how many Kms?

I will most probably go with your suggestion on the Bellary road as I am travelling in the Elantra.

I am not too worried about the internal roads as I have taken the travel desk packages to visit Badami,Pattadakal and Hampi.

Thanks.
Old 12th October 2015, 20:20   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I have booked myself in at the Mallige.
Does the Hitel have a safe parking space?
If you plan to stay at Hospet (Mallige), it still makes sense to go via Chitradurga and not Hiriyur. Because Bellary-Toranagallu-Hospet is very heavy on truck traffic.
Old 13th October 2015, 08:39   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Hotel looks to have the parking space. Did you check with the hotel ?

btw, watch out for the petrol pump just outside the hotel - a friend very recently got cheated by the usual 200 / 800 trick.
Old 13th October 2015, 08:49   #401
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you plan to stay at Hospet (Mallige), it still makes sense to go via Chitradurga and not Hiriyur. Because Bellary-Toranagallu-Hospet is very heavy on truck traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hotel looks to have the parking space. Did you check with the hotel ?

btw, watch out for the petrol pump just outside the hotel - a friend very recently got cheated by the usual 200 / 800 trick.

Thanks Guys,so I will stick to the Chitradurga road as I will be leaving at 6am.

The hotel did mention that they had parking. Thought you stayed there?

Won't be filling diesel anywhere as I anticipate the round trip to be around 800 Kms and the Elantra will do it easily on a tank topped up at Shell near home.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 13th October 2015 at 09:09.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:38   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Thanks Guys,so I will stick to the Chitradurga road as I will be leaving at 6am.

The hotel did mention that they had parking. Thought you stayed there?

Won't be filling diesel anywhere as I anticipate the round trip to be around 800 Kms and the Elantra will do it easily on a tank topped up at Shell near home.
I did a BLR - Hospet - Belgaum trip just a week ago. Took the NH 13 via Chitradurga from Bangalore. Left BLR at 6:45 and reached Hospet around 11:30 with a 20 min breakfast breakfast break at the VRL eatery (formerly known as "Long Drive") . The NH 13 after Chitradurga is quite a busy highway and is a popular truckers route. You will encounter plenty of truck traffic. The road is generally good and potholes had been patched up a few months back. But after the rains some potholes have opened up. Watch out these as these are real tyre killer potholes. They are just about a foot and half wide but very deep. Look out for these by keeping a good gap between the vehicle ahead of you. Night driving is best avoided on this two lane stretch of road.

The Hiriyur Bellary route adds about 30 kms I guess and is not worth it IMO as you lose time on the Bellary Hospet stretch.

Edit : Hotel Malligi has ample parking space. Park in front of the restaurant rather than the large parking area on the backside. You car will be much safer.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 13th October 2015 at 09:41.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 19:05   #403
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary

Route update.

24th took the Bangalore-Hiriyur-Bellary-Thornagal- Hopet route. 367 Kms.

Left Bangalore at 6am and reached Hospet at 12 pm. This included 2 stops for tea and a breakfast stop.

A breeze to Hiriyur. Hiriyur- Bellary is a smooth two lane highway. Quick progress without potholes. Just beware of speed breakers that come up on you. Bellary- Thornagal road is quite bad. Huge potholes. Slow average speeds. It gets better past Thornagal but not great.

27th. Return Hospet-Chitradurga- Bangalore. 338 Kms.

Left at 9 am. 2 tea stops and a lunch break. Reached home at 3 pm.

130 Kms between Hospet and Chitradurga needs immense concentration. 2 lane with heavy truck traffic. Road has a lot of potholes which can be avoided.

Road gets better at about the 80 km mark all the way to Chitradurga.

Chitradurga - Bangalore is a breeze.

Didn't drive locally as I hired a Innova to commute to Hampi,Badami and Pattadakal.

Hotel Mallagi in Hospet is highly recomended.

Did this route on half a tank of diesel.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 29th October 2015 at 19:07.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 11:22   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quick update on Bangalore Hampi trip.

Bangalore to Hampi:
Started on 11th Nov at around 10.30AM from Bangalore and had lunch at Dobbaspet Kamat near Tumkur. Reached Hospet at around 5.30 with this nice and lazy 1 hour lunch break. Was bit upset due to rain that was causing slower speeds on NH-4. But finally hit NH-13 towards Hospet. Again road is fine with some potholes near Chitradurga. Most of them are at center of the road but as you progress towards Hospet some patches are really rough but can be managed at around 50kmph. Need to be bit careful about the humps that have no road signs and some village crowd with cattle.
Had booking at Hotel Priyadarshini (Rs. 1040 + Tax for non AC delux room). It was fine for 2 days stay since the purpose was to return to hotel only for night sleep.
Spent 12th and 13th November to explore Hampi.

Hampi to Bangalore:
Same route to return. Started at 8.30 on 14th morning and had lunch at again Kamat dobbaspet (opposite side of the road of course ). Reached home at around 3.30PM.

Summary:
NH-4 and NH-13 combination is very good to choose but get prepared to slow down compared to NH-4 due to trucks which will travel as groups of 4-5. Overtaking might become challenging if there is not enough space left by the truckers in between.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:02   #405
BHPian

I will be going for a week long trip to Badami and Hampi next week.
As I am the only driver, we have planned to take a break at hyatt place near tornagallu for a night before proceeding to Badami the next day.
Here is my itinerary:

Day 1: Bangalore - Hyatt place, Hampi (Near Tornagallu)
Day 2: Hyatt place - Badami (The heritage resort)
Day 4: Badami - Hampi (Royal Orchid)
Day 7: Hampi - Bangalore

Out of the 3 options below, which would be the best route to hyatt place from Bangalore?

1) Tumkur - Hiriyur - Ballari - Tornagallu - hyatt
2) Tumkur - Hiriyur - Rampura - Ubbalagandi - hyatt (shortest and suggested by google maps)
3) Tumkur - Chitradurga - Hospet - hyatt
I am not considering Chitradurga - Kudligi - Sandur - hyatt as it was reported to be in a very bad state by condor earlier in this thread.

Also, is the google maps suggested route from Hampi to Badami via Kushtagi the best route to take?

Will there be parking available in Hampi so that we can park and visit all the places by walk?
Or is it recommended that we hire a 2 wheeler or an auto rickshaw from the hotel?

Since, this trip would mainly be for the drive and to do some photography and since it would be my first visit to these places, are there any not to miss places/view points other than the regular attractions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks