Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 16:38   #466
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
So we, better-half and I, are going to Hampi this weekend. And we're actually putting up at Hyatt Hampi, which is quite far from ruins. Well, anyone stayed in this hotel recently? If yes, then what should be the route? Also, need to know what good eateries can we stop at if we're leaving from Bangalore early morning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*Ignore the eateries in Chitradurga if you take Hiriyur route.
All in all, most of the good ones fall before Tumkur. So ideally plan a break here (around Dobbaspet), and carry snacks with you for a road side tea break around Hiriyur on SH

Here is my post on this state highway (which now I think is NH150)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post3854048 (Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 21:59   #467
BHPian

Quote:
So we, better-half and I, are going to Hampi this weekend. And we're actually putting up at Hyatt Hampi, which is quite far from ruins. Well, anyone stayed in this hotel recently? If yes, then what should be the route? Also, need to know what good eateries can we stop at if we're leaving from Bangalore early morning?
There is a Kamat Upachar just before Sira on the right side when heading to Hampi. Just over 100kms from the Tumkur Road toll booth at the Nice Road junction. Pretty sparse after that apart from the few dhabas along the way between Chitradurga and Hampi.
Old 8th July 2016, 20:29   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

The road from chitradurga to Hospet is terrible. Add cross winds and truck traffic in the mix and I could hardly keep going this afternoon.

Is that other route any better?
Old 9th July 2016, 10:22   #469
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The road from chitradurga to Hospet is terrible.
With the movement of mining trucks and presence of speed breakers on both Chitradurga-Hospet and Hiriyur-Bellary route, these roads have never been like the other NH and SH roads. Conditions are always relative and each one's perspective can be different, sad but true.
I'd taken Chitradurga-Hospet route in January and it was fine even with the speed breakers, we managed to reach Royal Orchid Hospet by noon, starting from Chitradurga just after 10am (after a visit to the Fort and breakfast at Lakshmi Tiffin Room).

Can you be more specific about the conditions ? Is the road widening work hampering traffic movement or has the road condition completely deteriorated ?

Last edited by NPV : 9th July 2016 at 10:23.
Old 9th July 2016, 19:08   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With the movement of mining trucks and presence of speed breakers on both Chitradurga-Hospet and Hiriyur-Bellary route, these roads have never been like the other NH and SH roads. Conditions are always relative and each one's perspective can be different, sad but true.

Can you be more specific about the conditions ? Is the road widening work hampering traffic movement or has the road condition completely deteriorated ?
Talking from a bikers perspective so things like headwinds or cross winds won't be applicable to cagers... Lol.

No, the road widening work wasn't posing any threat at all.

That said, it was quite a beautiful route, just that the winds, overall condition of the roads, as well as the truck traffic made things difficult. So I was exploring other options. Looks like there are none?
Old 10th July 2016, 19:23   #471
BHPian

Just a quick summary of the trip. We traveled to Hampi for 2 night and we stayed in Hyatt Place, Vidyanagar. Ee went via Hiriyur Stretch. And the final stretch from Rampura to Vidyanagar on SH 131 was amazing. Very narrow road, but majestic. Hardly any traffic on this route.
creative420 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 19:25   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a quick summary of the trip. We traveled to Hampi for 2 night and we stayed in Hyatt Place, Vidyanagar. Ee went via Hiriyur Stretch. And the final stretch from Rampura to Vidyanagar on SH 131 was amazing. Very narrow road, but majestic. Hardly any traffic on this route.
This is big one! So no need to go to Bellary. And new tar is even better! And you save another 20km as well. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
This also means that you skip all the mad traffic & dust storms near the main gate of the steel plant. Thanks for that update creative420. IMHO now the hiriyur-Hampi stretch via SH 131 should be the less painful route to take.
Agreed about dust storms! I was there last year at the Hyatt. Took Hiriyur option both ways.

But for Hospet, I think we still need to check. Toranagallu-Hospet is not all that great. If you are staying in Hospet. But yes, its a close call.

Last edited by ampere : 10th July 2016 at 19:51.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 19:45   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And the final stretch from Rampura to Vidyanagar on SH 131 was amazing. Very narrow road, but majestic. Hardly any traffic on this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is big one! So no need to go to Bellary. And new tar is even better! And you save another 20km as well. Thanks for sharing!
This also means that you skip all the mad traffic & dust storms near the main gate of the steel plant. Thanks for that update creative420. IMHO now the hiriyur-Hampi stretch via SH 131 should be the less painful route to take.
Old 10th July 2016, 20:03   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I will try the hiriyur route tomorrow and see how I do. Hope it's much better than the chitradurga route!

This is what I have planned

Hampi - kamlapur - daroji - kudatini - bellary - chellekere - hiriyur - tumkur - bangalore

I noticed I could skirt around the daroji bear sanctuary and the lake and connect back to highway 29 and skip tornagalu.

Should be good.

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th July 2016 at 20:16.
Old 10th July 2016, 20:26   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think I will try the hiriyur route tomorrow and see how I do. Hope it's much better than the chitradurga route!
You should try this : Route Link

And there on to Hiriyur.

Ideally I would have preferred this: Route Link

But I dont know the road condition to Vidyanagar.
Old 10th July 2016, 20:52   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And there on to Hiriyur.

Ideally I would have preferred this: Route Link

But I dont know the road condition to Vidyanagar.
You say try. Does that mean we don't know what recent conditions are like?

It definitely is far far shorter than the route I planned above.
Old 10th July 2016, 21:05   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hampi - kamlapur - daroji - kudatini - bellary - chellekere - hiriyur - tumkur - bangalore
Quote:
Hampi - kamlapur - daroji - Vidyanagar was decent in Feb when I did this. In fact Hampi - kamlapur - daroji till you hit the Bellary - Hubli road is a very good stretch.
Old 10th July 2016, 21:35   #478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I say try because, I have not driven Vidyanagar-Rampura section. (I took Bellary). See @creative's post. He mentions fresh tar on that section. Hence it should be worth it.

But I dont know anything about the section I suggested as the second option (which bypasses Toranagallu as I well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Hampi - kamlapur - daroji - Vidyanagar was decent in Feb when I did this. In fact Hampi - kamlapur - daroji till you hit the Bellary - Hubli road is a very good stretch.
I think the big problem is NH63 itself and Bellary bypass. Lots of trucks and huge humps. So surely as @Creative says, Vidyanagar-Rampura should help solve this.

Last edited by ampere : 10th July 2016 at 21:36.
Old 10th July 2016, 21:58   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I say try because, I have not driven Vidyanagar-Rampura section. (I took Bellary). See @creative's post. He mentions fresh tar on that section. Hence it should be worth it.

But I dont know anything about the section I suggested as the second option (which bypasses Toranagallu as I well).

I think the big problem is NH63 itself and Bellary bypass. Lots of trucks and huge humps. So surely as @Creative says, Vidyanagar-Rampura should help solve this.
Alright, this sounds good and everything adds up. Thanks to everyone posting quite quickly and responding in time for folks like me trying to make a decision overnight.

So I will take option 1 proposed by amp, which is Hampi kamlapur daroji. Here I will still take the highway 29 to go all the way to kudatini and then drive back to tornagalu, then head down to vidya nagar, take the turn off to rampura, and then down to chellekere and hiriyur.

Doing that because the hubli bellary road is something which I think is best avoided though shorter. Am also thinking the daroji road will be far more scenic.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 09:06   #480
BHPian

I have done Bangalore-Badami-Hampi-Bangalore during 6-9 July. Here is the quick update

Day-1: Bangalore-Hubli-Badami (roads are good to very good all the way, except last 22 kms). The stretch between Khanapur S.K to Badami is horrible. Started at 5 AM from Whitefield and Reached Badami around 2 PM.

Day-2: Badami-Banashankari-Pattadakal-Aihole-Hospet (Road work is happening Badami-Pattadakal-Aihole stretch). Aihole to Hospet is breeze to drive. Moreover from Hungud to Hospet is a tolled road with two lanes on either side.

Day-3: Hampi visit

Day-4: Hospet-Bellary-Ananthapur-Bangalore (Roads are good, only Bellary to Uravakonda stretch is having very few bad patches. Ananthapur to Bangalore is 4 lane tolled road. Started at 10.30AM from Royal Orchid, Hospet and reached Whitefield around 6 PM with one hour lunch break in Ananthapur.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

It definitely is far shorter than the route I planned above.
I want to add to your confusion, please read my 4th day details of my recent trip. There is no divider for the whole Hospet to Ananthapur stretch, but traffic is less and surface is decent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks