Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 10:35   #556
BHPian

Drove to Hampi yesterday. Took the Anantapur - Bellary route. Good roads all the way. Took 6 hours from Whitefield-Hospet with a 45 minute lunch break.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 19:26   #557
BHPian

Took the Hiriyur - Bellary road. Roads are good except the Trucks and speedbreakers at random interval. The total time with couple of breaks was 6.5 hours.
Old 16th October 2016, 23:25   #558
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

What is the best route to Hyatt Hampi from Bengaluru ? Planning a family trip with kid and senior citizen.

Which is the BEST route, time/distance can be overlooked trading for the roads ?

Regds
Old 17th October 2016, 04:19   #559
BHPian

Take the Hiriyur - Bellary route if you plan to travel by day. Chitradurga route I heard is a mess. If you plan to travel by night on the Bellary route please be advised of long empty stretches with no human habitation. Day time driving is good and scenic.
eethanhunt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 12:03   #560
BHPian

So here's what I observed for best routes to Hampi as on date:

There are 2 routes that are good.

1. Bangalore - Hiriyur(NH48) - Challakere - Rampura - Toranagallu - Hospet/Hampi.

- Good option if you are live closer or can access Tumkur road faster.
- Deserted stretches once you turn off from NH48 from Hiriyur.
- Traffic is comparatively on the higher side on NH48 until Tumkur.

2. Bangalore - Penukonda - Anantapur(NH44) - Uravakonda - Bellary - Toranagallu - Hospet/Hampi.

- Good option if you live closer or can access the Hyderabad road faster.
- Shorter deserted stretches between Anantapur - Bellary.
- Traffic is relatively less on NH44.

As of now, there are 3 higher end hotels in the Hampi region:
1. Hyatt Place, Hampi - located in Vidyasagar Township near Toranagallu.
2. Orange County, Hampi - located near Kamalapura.
3. Royal Orchid Central Kireeti, Hospet. - on the Hospet bypass.

All these 3 can be easily accessed by the above mentioned 2 routes without much confusion.

Hope this helps!
luvurride is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 18:07   #561
BHPian

Back from my Bangalore - Hampi trip. Took The Hiriyur - Challakere - Rampura - Ubbalagandi - Kudligi Road - Toranagallu - Hospet route, came back the same way.

My fears were unfounded; most of the Rampura - Toranagallu route was good, with more than half motorable at a decent 60 - 70 kmph. Surface was mostly good, except the initial ~ 25 km stretch from Rampura.

The Toranagallu - Hospet stretch is bad for the first 4-5 kms surface & traffic wise, then is quite good till Hospet.

We did the going route in 6.5 hours and coming back in 6.25 hours, both times inclusive of about 40 - 45 minute food breaks for us and the car. We used NICE road from and to Bannerghatta Road.

Lorry traffic is a pain only inside Challakere, and of course, outskirts of Tumkur. Coming back, NICE was painful in this respect too. Overall it wasn't bad at all.

In Hospet / Hampi it was dry, and while it was hot, what was the problem was that Hampi is widely spread out and despite using the car as much as possible, one is out in the sun nearly all the time.

Two hours for Virupaksha temple the day we reached, one full day for the rest of Hampi, plus an additional 5 hours if you are planning to visit Anjanadri Hill / Pampa Sarovar / Nava Brindavana, all three of which are on the other side of the river. I opted to drive straight from the hotel in Hospet to Anjanadri Hill on our third morning there and use my car to go to Pampa and Nava Brindavana instead of using the local autos.

I am providing GPS coordinates for the route I took; in some places, without them, one is uncertain which way to go.

To Hospet

--------Coordinates-------- km --------------Destination--------------
76.653932 E, 14.297716 N 00 HP Fuel Station - Pre-Challakere
76.780468 E, 14.884023 N 73 Way Point - Immed. Post Rampura
76.694342 E, 15.030870 N 21 Way Point - Post left turn; via Ubbalagandi
76.612947 E, 15.154258 N 21 Kudligi Road - Post right turn
76.392928 E, 15.272688 N 38 Hotel Malligi - Via Ramapura, Toranagallu

Back from Hospet

--------Coordinates-------- km --------------Destination--------------
76.658377 E, 15.202211 N 31 Way Point - Rt towards Vidyanagar
76.613224 E, 15.153611 N 08 Way Point - Left toward Rampura
76.695167 E, 15.030980 N 21 Way Point - Rt to continue on same road
76.783482 E, 14.882064 N 21 Way Point - Rt at Rampura

Sorry for the bad formatting. The forum software is removing extra spaces I put in to align the columns.
Old 31st October 2016, 19:55   #562
BHPian

Got back from Hampi today. I took the Bangalore-Anantpur-Bellary-Torangallu-Hospet route while going. The route from Anantpur to Bellary is OK and not excellent. On my return I took the Hospet-Torangallu-Bellary-Rampura-Challakere-Hiriyur route. This route is listed as 150A on google maps and was excellent throughout. I would recommend this route to anyone traveling to Hampi . No food options though; pack your lunch at your Hospet hotel before leaving for Bangalore. One tip to get on to this route is to take a right after crossing the railway gate at Bellary.The railway crossing junction is the intersection of NH67and 150A. Google maps is pretty clear.
Hope this helps !!
bangaloreguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 14:11   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Drove to Hampi yesterday. Took the Anantapur - Bellary route. Good roads all the way. Took 6 hours from Whitefield-Hospet with a 45 minute lunch break.
Is this road four lane route?
Old 6th November 2016, 17:58   #564
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummieg View Post
Is this road four lane route?
Four lane is only the Bangalore-Ananthapur section on the NH 7 (New NH 44).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 22:27   #565
BHPian

Guys,

Just did a bus trip to Hampi on Hospet-Chitradurga section. Roads are unbearable even for a bus. Rough roads, unmarked humps, road widening, dust, trucks (seems a train of trucks on either side with high beam) you name it.

Very tiring and dangerous.

Mod Note: Please avoid SMS Language.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd January 2017 at 23:41.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 7th January 2017, 16:48   #566
Senior - BHPian

The Middle Path

This thread speaks of two routes from Bangalore to Ballari. The westerly route via Anantapur, and the easterly route via Hiriyur.

There is a middle path. The middle path is well worth exploring.

Map: https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Be...15.1393932!3e0

I drove along this route today. Departed Ballari at 9am, and was home in Bangalore at 3:20pm. Took 3 breaks:
- 30 mins in Kalyandurg
- 15 mins in Madhugiri
- 30 mins for lunch on Kanakapura Road just before reaching home.

Road Surface Quality: Good to Excellent. There is one short potholed stretch of about 100m between Ballari and Bommanahal. Then, there are about 10 short patches of under-construction road, including 3 bridges. As you approach Pavagada, the road becomes international quality in terms of surface and markings. It is a joy to drive on.

What to watch out for: Unmarked speed breakers. LOTS of them between Ballari and Pavagada. Funnily enough, in one village, there are four speed breakers signs, and exactly zero speed breakers. After Pavagada, they are all clearly marked.
The one sure of way to spot a speed breaker is to watch for stones placed such that the shoulder is blocked. This is a very reliable way to know that there is a speed breaker.
There are 4 stretches of road that alternate between concrete and tar. The transition between them has dips/crests that will catch you out (it caught me out, suspension bottomed out). Slow down.

Traffic: Almost zero commercial traffic. A few State Transport buses. Mostly all 'local' type traffic - motorcycles, tractors, cows, buffaloes, share autos, goats, sheep, people, small goods vehicles, etc etc.
Traffic through the towns of Kalyandurg, Pavagada, Madhugiri and Koratagere, and all other bigger villages is bad (as would be expected).
Traffic increases between Koratagere and Dobbaspet, and once on the Bangalore-Pune highway, you will encounter the usual truck traffic.

Facilities: None whatsoever. Unless you count the restaurants in the bigger towns of Kalyandurg & Pavagada.

No pictures, sorry, I was driving alone.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 7th January 2017 at 16:50. Reason: Added Info
KiloAlpha is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 10:46   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
The Middle Path

This thread speaks of two routes from Bangalore to Ballari. The westerly route via Anantapur, and the easterly route via Hiriyur.

There is a middle path. The middle path is well worth exploring.

No pictures, sorry, I was driving alone.
I was about to explore this route this weekend during my planned trip to Mantralaya with my new Eco Sport, thanks for venturing out into this forgotten road to Ballari. I had heard from some cabbies of Pavagada that road work is in progress, once completed this will be a good option to avoid expensive toll gates.
Old 14th March 2017, 13:44   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangaloreguy View Post
Got back from Hampi today. I took the Bangalore-Anantpur-Bellary-Torangallu-Hospet route while going. The route from Anantpur to Bellary is OK and not excellent. On my return I took the Hospet-Torangallu-Bellary-Rampura-Challakere-Hiriyur route. This route is listed as 150A on google maps and was excellent throughout. I would recommend this route to anyone traveling to Hampi . No food options though; pack your lunch at your Hospet hotel before leaving for Bangalore. One tip to get on to this route is to take a right after crossing the railway gate at Bellary.The railway crossing junction is the intersection of NH67and 150A. Google maps is pretty clear.
Hope this helps !!
Hi,

Planning a short trip with family (including 2 kids) to Hampi.
Is this route (road 150A) safe for night driving from BLR to reach Hampi? Are there any cafe coffe days (or any other decent place for tea/coffee or using restrooms) along the route post Hiriyur?

Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 13:57   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Hi,
Is this route (road 150A) safe for night driving from BLR to reach Hampi?
Why night driving? Start around 3.00am in the morning and reach Hampi by 9.00am. You can take a break at Challakere or Bellary for quick refreshment.

Last edited by deehunk : 14th March 2017 at 14:00.
Old 14th March 2017, 15:00   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Are there any cafe coffe days (or any other decent place for tea/coffee or using restrooms) along the route post Hiriyur?
Sira CCD is the last CCD if you plan to take 150A. There is no other decent rest stop unless you want to stop at Hyat Palace Tornagalu before getting to Hospet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Why night driving? Start around 3.00am in the morning and reach Hampi by 9.00am. You can take a break at Challakere or Bellary for quick refreshment.
Agree. Even a 4 4.30 am start should do as you might want some light while driving on 150A to spot the speed breakers. Night driving could also mean more trucks on 150A *my guess* and hence you might be better off with an early morning start.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks