Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 12:45   #661
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I am driving to Pune from Bangalore in the last week of December (23rd December, most probably). We will be a family of 3 travelling. Me, wife and our 3 year old son. Usually, I prefer to do it in a single day with food and bio breaks and manage it quite comfortably (for all 3 of us).

However, this time, I am wondering if I could take a detour and include Hampi in the trip with a night halt in between? Any route advice and planning tips considering safety, food, comfort and stay options are much appreciated.

PS: I am very new to Bangalore and still do not speak/understand Kannada. Please let me know if that can be a handicap.

Thanks in advance,
Himanshu
Old 11th December 2017, 13:34   #662
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
However, this time, I am wondering if I could take a detour and include Hampi in the trip with a night halt in between? Any route advice and planning tips considering safety, food, comfort and stay options are much appreciated.Thanks in advance,

Bangalore - Chitrdurga is 200km, from Chitradurga it is around 130 kms. You have to factor in at least 7 hrs with the little one around. You will have to stay in Hospet which is around a 20 mins drive to Hampi.
Mallagi and Royal Orchid are decent places to stay in.

Chitradurga - Pune will be around 630 kms.

I would ideally budget 2 days at Hampi. You would not be able to cover this beautiful place in one afternoon.

All guides at Hampi speak english. Do get yourself a guide. Most important. Just walking around wouldn't help much.

I have been to Hampi around 4 years ago. Not too sure of the road conditions( it is a two lane from Chitradurga). Was being done up when I last visited.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ueries-43.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...en-empire.html

Hope this helps.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 15:31   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, off to Hampi this weekend and planning to take the Hebbal, Devanahalli, Anantapur, Uru'da, Bellary, Hospet route. Will start at 0600 from north Bangalore. Any tips/tricks on this route that I need to be aware of?

Plus any known speed checking points? Can't decide whether to take the Cruze or the Octavia; both are not conducive to maintaining speed limits :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th December 2017 at 15:32. Reason: Formatting
Old 11th December 2017, 16:08   #664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys, off to Hampi this weekend and planning to take the Hebbal, Devanahalli, Anantapur, Uru'da, Bellary, Hospet route. Will start at 0600 from north Bangalore. Any tips/tricks on this route that I need to be aware of?
Carry food and water. Not aware of many hotels on this route. NH4 has some thing till Chitradurga. NH7 is even lesser. One or two and thats it.
Old 11th December 2017, 16:28   #665
BHPian

Quote:

Plus any known speed checking points? Can't decide whether to take the Cruze or the Octavia; both are not conducive to maintaining speed limits :-)
I did a Hampi trip last week and we returned through Anantpur route. There is road widening work going on between Hospet and Bellary. The roads are not in good shape either. Added to that, there were umpteen speed breakers. Post KA-AP border after Bellary, the roads were pretty good all the way till Bangalore, barring a narrow bridge near Uruvakonda For reference, we started from Hospet around 8:15 AM and reached our hotel in MG road, Bangalore at 2:45 PM. (Includes 2 breaks of 10 min each)
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 16:35   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I did a Hampi trip last week and we returned through Anantpur route. There is road widening work going on between Hospet and Bellary. The roads are not in good shape either. Added to that, there were umpteen speed breakers. Post KA-AP border after Bellary, the roads were pretty good all the way till Bangalore, barring a narrow bridge near Uruvakonda For reference, we started from Hospet around 8:15 AM and reached our hotel in MG road, Bangalore at 2:45 PM. (Includes 2 breaks of 10 min each)
So Chitradurga route or Anantapur route? Confused now!

Need good roads; eating joints not an issue as I will be carrying more than enough food.
Old 11th December 2017, 16:42   #667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need good roads; eating joints not an issue as I will be carrying more than enough food.
If you are heading to Hyatt at Toranagallu, take the Hiriyur/Challakere route. If Hospet, then either of the 2 (Chitradurga Hospet or Hiriyur/Challakere/Bellary/Hospet).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 17:12   #668
BHPian

Quote:

Hospet - Bellary - Anantpur route is better than Hospet - Bellary - Hiriyur route quoting a local taxi person from Hospet. Chitradurga - Hospet was ruled out after his recommendation (Heavy construction works). However, Google maps kept on insisting us to take Hospet - Chithradurga route.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 11th December 2017 at 17:13.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 18:59   #669
BHPian

My trip last year took only 5 hours from Whitefield to Hospet. For such a short trip, we didn't bother much. The road conditions were definitely manageable. Unless there has been severe damage, this should be the preferred route to Hampi.
Old 11th December 2017, 20:58   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hospet route is the fastest option. But the Ananthpur route is more enjoyable due to the superb road surface of the Hyd highway. The six lane road upto Chitradurga is well baricaded and you can maintain good speeds, but the road surface isnt as flat as the Hyd road which has smooth flowing tarmac. Hyd road on the other hand can surprise you with some stray animals and 90 degree intersections. Ananthpur to Bellary was under construction when I visited a year ago. Some sections slow you down a bit.

Both are good options and you can't go wrong with either. Take one for onward and one for return .
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 11:31   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Hospet route is the fastest option. But the Ananthpur route is more enjoyable due to the superb road surface of the Hyd highway. The six lane road upto Chitradurga is well baricaded and you can maintain good speeds, but the road surface isnt as flat as the Hyd road which has smooth flowing tarmac. Hyd road on the other hand can surprise you with some stray animals and 90 degree intersections. Ananthpur to Bellary was under construction when I visited a year ago. Some sections slow you down a bit.

Both are good options and you can't go wrong with either. Take one for onward and one for return .
I am on a tight schedule and plan to visit Hampi over a 2 day weekend. I plan to take Tumkur Hiriyur Hampi route for onward journey and Hampi-Anantpur-Bangalore for return journey. Would like to know what places can be covered in Hampi or rather would like to know the must visit places in Hampi.
Old 12th December 2017, 14:12   #672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Would like to know what places can be covered in Hampi or rather would like to know the must visit places in Hampi.
Check the map with multiple options listed in in the 3rd post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...en-empire.html
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 20:17   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Hospet route is the fastest option. But the Ananthpur route is more enjoyable due to the superb road surface of the Hyd highway.
Many thanks Santosh. I will take the Anantapur route as I am a stone's throw away from Bellary Road, and I hate winding through smaller roads at the beginning of a long drive .

What about safe parking at the multiple Hampi sites? Is that a worry? I hope there are spacious guarded official parking areas? Haven't seen too many references to them!
Old 12th December 2017, 20:24   #674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What about safe parking at the multiple Hampi sites? Is that a worry? I hope there are spacious guarded official parking areas? Haven't seen too many references to them!
It is better to park your car at where you stay and hire a cab. Saves you the hassle finding a parking.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 11:16   #675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It is better to park your car at where you stay and hire a cab. Saves you the hassle finding a parking.
Thanks, will consider same. What about tips on reputable fuel bunks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks