Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 00:33   #766
kdp
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Hampi / Bellary : Route Queries

Does anyone have any perspective on the road from Sandur to Haveri via Kudligi, Harpanahalli and Havanur?

Google maps is recommending this route to south Goa to me. The other option is to go via Hospet to Hubli but with 4 laning in progress, the regular road condition is poor and progress is very slow. Any insights will be deeply appreciated.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th November 2018 at 08:49. Reason: Typos.
kdp is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th November 2018, 02:06   #767
BHPian

Is there a dress code when visiting the temple in Hampi? There was some news regarding that back in October this year stating there is a dress code to follow when entering the temple at Hampi. Has this come into effect? I'm travelling there this 22nd and wanted to pack accordingly.
Old 20th November 2018, 03:56   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Is there a dress code when visiting the temple in Hampi?
This dress code was talked about extensively not for the entire Hampi visit but only for entering Virupaksha temple. Even then, it was more of a not this type of dress kind of restriction that the residents wanted imposed. There were TV debates on how skimpily clad foreigners are seen roaming the streets of Hampi, disrespecting local culture.

An attempt was actually made in 2012 to drape them in a white shawl to preserve decency in the temple premises. In October this year too, there was a proposal to ban body revealing clothes. Bangalore Mirror had this to say about the issue:
Quote:
In case, a dress code is implemented, men will be allowed to wear trousers, dhoti, kurta, shirts and women may not be allowed to wear sleeveless clothes. Only full length pants will be allowed.
But, an official was quoted as saying that,
Quote:
As of now, we have not implemented any dress code. No orders have been passed.
You would have obviously read the reports.

So, I enquired with an acquaintance in Koppala who said that while no formal order has been passed yet, it is better for both men and women not to wear shorts and sleeveless uppers as a precaution against heat - from the sun as well as sentiments!

PS: Not taking (either of the) sides here. Just passing on information .
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 18:25   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
So, I enquired with an acquaintance in Koppala who said that while no formal order has been passed yet, it is better for both men and women not to wear shorts and sleeveless uppers as a precaution against heat - from the sun as well as sentiments!
Thank you!! So it's trousers and half sleeve tees that's going to be my attire when I reach there.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 15:51   #770
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to go to Hampi (driving from Chennai) during Christmas weekend. I see a lot of homestays in Hampi, but good hotels are far off from Hampi. Can someone guide me on this, please?

1. Good and nearby stay
2. A better road from Bengaluru
Old 26th November 2018, 16:01   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
I am planning to go to Hampi (driving from Chennai) during Christmas weekend. I see a lot of homestays in Hampi, but good hotels are far off from Hampi. Can someone guide me on this, please?

1. Good and nearby stay
There are several hotels and resorts within a 30 min drive from most of Hampi attractions, depending on your budget. We stayed in Hotel Malligi in Hospet when we visited recently. Royal orchid, Heritage Resort and Evolve Back were the places we visited for meals.

For route options, check the last 2-3 pages for updates.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 16:04   #772
BHPian

Quote:

1. Good and nearby stay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
There are several hotels and resorts within a 30 min drive from most of Hampi attractions, depending on your budget. We stayed in Hotel Malligi in Hospet when we visited recently. Royal orchid, Heritage Resort and Evolve Back were the places we visited for meals.

I second Hotel Malligi which is at Hospet. We have stayed there twice.

If you want more closer, you can check out Clarks Inn, as I remember it is at Kamalapura and closer than Hospet.

Edit - For recent road updates you can check below post from Snehal.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4501584

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 26th November 2018 at 16:14.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 16:13   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the past few years, most of the hotels/guesthouses in Hampi village have been demolished/closed down. The official reason was because they were within the buffer zone of the World Heritage site. The actual reason probably was to favour the business of big hotel owners of Hospet. There are a few home stays left on the 'main side' of the river, closer to the important monuments and temples. There are also some small homestays and guest houses on 'the other' side of the river, on Hampi island. Neither of these types will ideally suit your typical 'family with kids traveling by car' type of visitor. So may as well as stay at Hospet and drive to Hampi and back for sightseeing.

Last edited by am1m : 26th November 2018 at 16:15.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 17:23   #774
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see a lot of homestays in Hampi, but good hotels are far off from Hampi. Can someone guide me on this, please?

1. Good and nearby stay
I think you already have lot of good suggestions and here are some more (some are already mentioned earlier):
Kamalapura is closest to the main cluster of monuments/ruins at Hampi. Your options for hotels near Kamalapur are:
1. Clarks Inn
2. KSTDC Mayura (don't know how the rooms/facilities are, but the restaurant was decent with slow service, will remind you that you're in a Government owned place! Campus is large/sprawling
3. Evolve Back if you want to splurge (formerly Orange County)
4. Royal Orchid - Hospet
5. Malligi - Hospet
*Hospet is about 12Km from Kamalapur circle
6. Hyatt Place at Jindal Vidyanagar township, Tornagallu. This is also a good place, but you will need to drive down to Hampi which is ~30 Km drive

Routes:From Bangalore, I'd suggest you take Chitradurga-Hospet if staying at Royal Orchid/Malligi OR Bangalore-Hiryur-Challekere-Rampura route if staying at the hotels near Kamalapur or at Hyatt in Tornagallu.

Last edited by NPV : 26th November 2018 at 17:43.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 20:51   #775
BHPian

Quote:

1. Good and nearby stay

I stayed at the Mayura Bhuvaneshwari at Kamalapur for 2 days this month. This is a hotel run by the KSTDC. It's very close to all the sightseeing places in and around Hampi. Though the rooms have seen better days, it still has functioning ACs and a working television and the rooms are clean. There are no telephone in the rooms though and neither do they have a hot water kettle to make your morning cuppa. The restaurant opens at 7:30 AM until 10:00 PM and room service as well is the same time. I paid around Rs. 2,700/per night inclusive of taxes. The advantage of staying at Mayura was that all the sites to see are within a 4-5 km range of the Hotel.

From Bangalore, as NPV suggested either take the Chitradurga - Hospet route or the Bangalore - Hiriyur - Ramapura route. From Chitradurga to Hospet there is road work going on and with the heavy lorry traffic that could delay your drive.

My suggestion is do not stay at Toranagallu since the road from Toranagallu to Hampi is in a very bad shape and traversing those 30 kms would be a nightmare.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 12:09   #776
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
So may as well as stay at Hospet and drive to Hampi and back for sightseeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I second Hotel Malligi which is at Hospet. We have stayed there twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Routes:From Bangalore, I'd suggest you take Chitradurga-Hospet if staying at Royal Orchid/Malligi OR Bangalore-Hiryur-Challekere-Rampura route if staying at the hotels near Kamalapur or at Hyatt in Tornagallu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
My suggestion is do not stay at Toranagallu since the road from Toranagallu to Hampi is in a very bad shape and traversing those 30 kms would be a nightmare.
Dear All - Many thanks for your guidance. I think I was a bit late in planning this. Except Evolve Back, all hotels are booked from 22nd Dec till 30th Dec due to vacation. Most of the hotels have asked to call back around 10th of Dec to check if there is any cancellation.

Now I have understood the proximity to Hampi based on your detailed replies. Thanks again.
Old 27th November 2018, 17:46   #777
BHPian

The last time we were visiting badami, we halted at PBS Grand in hospet. its near bus stop and a new property.

The rooms were spacious, ample parking space. They even offered complimentary mineral water and breakfast and which needs to be available at Swati restaurant which is across the road.

The per night price was also decent, do check it out on goibibo for some discounts as well.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th February 2019 at 08:59. Reason: Spacing
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 18:20   #778
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Except Evolve Back, all hotels are booked from 22nd Dec till 30th Dec due to vacation. Most of the hotels have asked to call back around 10th of Dec to check if there is any cancellation.

Now I have understood the proximity to Hampi based on your detailed replies. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
The last time we were visiting badami, we halted at PBS Grand in hospet. its near bus stop and a new property.
Hospet town is about 12Km from Kamalapur and not a bad choice for place of stay. There are several hotels in Hospet other than Royal Orchid & Malligi.

Like @ant_vas has suggested you can try PBS Grand or Shanbhag, etc that are near the Bus stand. Many more hotels in and around the Bus stand.
Old 5th December 2018, 16:01   #779
Team-BHP Support

Planning to drive down over the weekend. Have booked the Hyatt place.

What would be the best route to take? and are there other interesting places nearby that can be visited. Right now the agenda looks like:

- Friday to Hyatt and chill OR local stuff if any?
- Saturday visit to Hampi and back
- Sunday return to Bangalore after brunch.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th December 2018, 16:48   #780
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Planning to drive down over the weekend. Have booked the Hyatt place.
Take Hiriyur-Challakere-Rampura-Hyatt Place (I'm not absolutely sure about conditions on the last stretch of Rampura-Hyatt Place though).

Alternate is to take Anantpur-Ballari route. I think it's Even Stevens with either of these routes since your destination is Hyatt (unlike Hospet).

Day 1 - late afternoon around 4pm (do check the timings) or so you can visit the Daroji Bear Sanctuary and spend the late evening time in the Vidynagar township where Hyatt is located, nice place.

Day 2 - en route to Hampi, stop by at the Narihalla Dam/reservoir, nice vistas.

I think you can reach Kamlapur circle, first visit the Vittala temple (with the Stone chariot) which is NOT on the road where the main cluster of monuments are, get back to Kamlapur circle and cover the main cluster of monuments/ruins at Hampi which is almost a drive-by route that ends at Virupaksha temple.

Last edited by NPV : 5th December 2018 at 17:13.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks