Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2023, 22:09   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
The local authorities have advised tourists to stay away for the next few days due to heavy rainfall and roads being damaged due to landslides. Both routes are in bad shape and traffic is being stopped from getting on to the ghats
Cheers
That was due to very heavy showers two days ago which led to damage on the roads.

Understand there has been no rains during the last two days and the situation is okay to travel now. A few calls to Kotagiri, Coonoor and Ooty including the cops have confirmed there is no issue as of now and its perfectly safe to travel.

Planning to drive down to Coonoor on Sunday and hence the need for the checks. Will do a further follow up tomorrow and check weather reports before taking a final call on the travel date.

Last edited by AMG Power : 24th November 2023 at 22:11.
Old 27th November 2023, 08:48   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
That was due to very heavy showers two days ago which led to damage on the roads.

Understand there has been no rains during the last two days and the situation is okay to travel now. A few calls to Kotagiri, Coonoor and Ooty including the cops have confirmed there is no issue as of now and its perfectly safe to travel.

Planning to drive down to Coonoor on Sunday and hence the need for the checks. Will do a further follow up tomorrow and check weather reports before taking a final call on the travel date.
I took the Kalhatty Ghat on Thursday morning (23rd) and had no problem at all. It was drizzling and at two or three places I had visibility issues which made me slow down. This was around 10 am. The road from Mysore to Gundlupete has been affected by rains and has many potholes. However Gundlupete to Ooty via Masinagudi is in excellent condition. Don't know about the condition of Gudular road.
I took the Coonoor Kotigiri Coimbatore road yesterday morning (Sunday, 26th) and returned in the evening. Traffic is normal on this road.
hydtraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 09:03   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
I took the Coonoor Kotigiri Coimbatore road yesterday morning (Sunday, 26th) and returned in the evening. Traffic is normal on this road.
Thanks for the update. Was there any part of Kotagiri - Mettupalayam ghat section that was single lane with traffic being allowed after the vehicles in one direction finished? I was told it was like that on Saturday. And any part of the ghat road with sides washed away on account of landslides?
Old 29th November 2023, 22:13   #244
BHPian

The Kotigiri Mettupalyam Ghat is very normal. No one ways or restrictions at all. Traffic is normal with out any restrictions. Coonoor is witnessing excellent weather during the last 3 days. Very sunny and no rain at all.
Old 5th December 2023, 12:49   #245
BHPian

Any update on which is the best route to take when driving down from Mysore? A lot of friends have advised me to take the Bandipur forest route as it's very scenic. I will be travelling in the third week of December. I am specifically asking as I am unsure if the current rains due to the cyclone in the Bay of Bengal have affected the roads. Recently, there were reports of landslides due an unrelated rain event as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks