Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2021, 11:28   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

The stretch between Nanjangud and Gundlupet was as smooth as butter in April. Did that change?

The fastest route is via Mysore, Nanjangud and either of Masinagudi or Gudlur.

Approach to Mysore can be via Kanakpura, Malvalli, Bannur thereby getting straight to Nanjangud road.
Old 29th July 2021, 12:15   #212
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Bumping up a 5 year old thread.

I plan to drive to Coonoor mid August and was looking at what Gmaps throws up. It seems Mysore route is default here with the only choice being Masinagudi or Gudalur. My problem is with the under construction Mysore road, reportedly under construction road between Nanjangud and Gundlupet, the myriad speed breakers in the WL Sanctuaries and the hassle of wading through the Ooty traffic.

The alternate is a 120 km extra via Krishnagiri > Salem > Avinashi > Coonoor which avoids all the above.

Is there another alternative via T Narsipur, Chamrajnagar, Sathyamangalam, Mettupalayam?
Did this over the weekend.
Preferably take the Mysore Masinagudi route to go. The greenery is blooming and this year there were an unusually high number of deers. Also, the local adm sometimes doesn't let the KA vehicles descend down from ooty via masinagudi - so this should be preferred. Lots of diversions are there on the Bangalore - Mysore road but its not too painful if you don't hit much traffic. RTPCRs were a mandate for entering nilgiris last weekend. Do check it out around your time of travel.
In a nutshell - preferably do the circuit of BLR-Masinagudi-Ooty-Coonoor-Mettupalayam- Salem-BLR.
Note: The two laner stretch from mettupalayam for a few hours is a pain.
Mik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 12:39   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Also, the local adm sometimes doesn't let the KA vehicles descend down from ooty via masinagudi - so this should be preferred.
The restriction is for all non-local vehicles (non TN 43 series) owing to the frequent brake failures while climbing down the Kalhatti ghats. Drivers who don't have enough experience driving in the hills perhaps don't have a clue about engine braking, and use excessive braking in the wrong gears/neutral, which eventually results in brake failure.

Last edited by jeeva : 29th July 2021 at 12:41.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 12:59   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
This is through T Narsipur, Chamrajnagar. Gmaps says almost 9 hours for 325 kms. Route looks good, but why such slow pace? Road conditions?
Yes more Ghat roads.

The normal bangalore-mysore-ooty (Via Gudalur) road is preferred - it is the easiest route, wide roads and very forgiving ghat section. You can use Malavalli road to reach Mysore ring road if needed. But these days the traffic jam in Mysore -Bangalore road is mostly between Kengeri Nice Jn to Bidadi, its free afterwards.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 29th July 2021 at 13:01.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 17:28   #215
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore Coonoor Via Salem and back last week. Here is an update on the road conditions.
The two wheeler traffic 15 kms before and after Salem has increased a lot so that there is only one lane for highway traffic.
3 flyovers are under construction between Salem and Erode.
Avinashi M'palayam road which was being dug up for pipe laying has been covered up, with a shoddy job, so there is only 1 and a half lane at places.
There is construction of culverts and some such work going on on the last few KMs of the M'palayam Coonoor road, but the rest of the road is great. Truck and bus traffic was high even at 6 am.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:19   #216
BHPian

goandudu, any particular reason for taking this route against the Mysore - Bandipur route as it is almost 1000 km more?
And the time taken to cover this.
Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:02   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
goandudu, any particular reason for taking this route against the Mysore - Bandipur route as it is almost 1000 km more?
And the time taken to cover this.
Not 1000, but 100. There's weekend curfew in KA's border districts, besides I think Bandipur entry needs RT-PCR these days. At the most it might take an hour extra.
Old 4th November 2021, 19:47   #218
Senior - BHPian

Any latest update on epass requirement for entry via Mettupalayam - Coonoor?

Also for Coonoor to Bangalore, is the direct route from Mettupalayam to Avinashi preferred and need not go via Coimbatore?
Old 4th November 2021, 19:55   #219
Senior - BHPian

I drove from Coimbatore to Bangalore today and came via Nilgiris and no one stopped or asked any certificates. I don’t think they insist for the Testing so long as you have two dose certificate, you should be fine.

From Coonoor, you can reach Avinashi via Mettupalayam and Annur, no need to touch Coimbatore.
Old 10th November 2021, 22:40   #220
BHPian

Hi, me and my family are planning to visit around end of the month and would love to hear any recommendations for stay either in ooty or coonoor? Would prefer away from the noisy towns. Are there any resorts like Tamara-Coorg, Taj Madikeri or Serai in Ooty/Coonoor area? I searched around but couldn't find any. Or some smaller but equivalent in comfort/luxury homestays?

Also, what is the latest on RT-PCR requirement?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th November 2021, 23:02   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Hi, me and my family are planning to visit around end of the month and would love to hear any recommendations for stay either in ooty or coonoor? Would prefer away from the noisy towns. Are there any resorts like Tamara-Coorg, Taj Madikeri or Serai in Ooty/Coonoor area? I searched around but couldn't find any. Or some smaller but equivalent in comfort/luxury homestays?

Also, what is the latest on RT-PCR requirement?

Thanks in advance!
Just back after a Coonoor trip during the last weekend. For scenic, relaxed stay, I'd prefer Coonoor over Ooty.

Teanest, Coonoor is one of the most sought homestay type accommodation in Coonoor. Several bhp-ians also would endorse it.

The other one that we chanced upon was Gateway Coonoor - IHCL SeleQtions.

No RTPCR requirements.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 16:10   #222
BHPian

Need advice from fraternity.
Me, best half and kiddo aged 12 are planning a trip from Hyderabad to Coonoor on 18th.
Plan is to start on 18th evening after 5 PM.
Requesting route queries and where to lay over for the night after 10PM.
I don't prefer night driving.
Suggestions will help a lot.
Thanking in anticipation.
Regards.
Old 13th December 2021, 16:37   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Me, best half and kiddo aged 12 are planning a trip from Hyderabad to Coonoor on 18th.
Regards.
A 5pm start would make you have 2 night layover before you reach Coonoor. One probably at Kurnool, and the next day at Mysore (if you go via Mysore) or Salem (if you go via Salem). Unless you are ready to drive about 14-15 hours on Day 2 and reach Coonoor non stop.

Both routes (Mysore & Salem) are good with the latter being more smooth/highway most of the part. You could go via one and return via the other.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 16:38   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Regards.
Hello matchvan, please follow the default route suggested by Google Maps which is this https://goo.gl/maps/Y5UdKndz742XCVE9A, I can suggest an halt at Anantapur, it's a little over 6hrs drive from Hyderabad. Also consider Anantapur to Coonoor is a 11hr drive.

Please avoid going through Mysore Rd marked in red below, it's in shambles. It's easier for you to drive through Nelamangala - Srirangapatna - Mysore from North Bangalore (Hebbal). Yadiyur to Srirangapatna is a State Highway, but the roads are good, you will be fine.

Name:  Screenshot_17.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  127.8 KB
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 16:41   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A 5pm start would make you have 2 night layover before you reach Coonoor. One probably at Kurnool, and the next day at Mysore (if you go via Mysore) or Salem (if you go via Salem). Unless you are ready to drive about 14-15 hours on Day 2 and reach Coonoor non stop.

Both routes (Mysore/Salem) are good with the latter being more smooth highway most of the part. You could go via one and return via the other.
You sir, are Professor X.
Read my mind and both my options are the ones you suggested.
Go via salem and return via Mysore.
Sir, if I opt vis salem, can Coimbatore be skipped??
Thank you for lightning fast reply.
Stay safe.

Last edited by matchvan : 13th December 2021 at 16:49.

Most Viewed