Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 22:58   #61
BHPian

ampere, even I am traveling during apr 2nd week. Hoping to see your car somewhere in Ooty !
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:26   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@S3VA
Yes Sherlock almost. Dates though not decided yet. Initially I was thinking Apr first/second week. But I have some other family commitments. So this may get pushed to May. Also I wanted Sherlock like locations because its towards Coonoor and KC is at the opposite end (Thats what I found out from Google maps).

@kannan666 Thanks. Last time I went to Ooty, I visited all the official tourist places. This time I wanted to go to Conoor, but look at all the off-beat places. So I was thinking a day off for the train, One day for the Emerald and/or Avalanche lake(s), one day for Conoor Local and one day for lazing around . Over all I was looking about 4 days.
Just got back after a 4 night stay @ Sherlock,easily the best place to stay in Ooty-in terms of location and service,its on the highest peak at Ooty,remember to carry lots of warm clothes.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:48   #63
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit. DId you by chance visit or had a glimpse of their other property ie Kings cliff, that's where I have blocked for my trip ?
Old 24th March 2010, 09:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Thanks Ranjit. DId you by chance visit or had a glimpse of their other property ie Kings cliff, that's where I have blocked for my trip ?
oh yes,am quite an Ooty veteran by now as have friends & family there,if you have an option to book yourself at Sherlock,I would suggest that you change it to Sherlock,excellent view,excellent service and newer cottages,opt for the luxury rooms do not go in for the deluxe or semi deluxe rooms(ofcourse this is depnednt on your budget)as the deluxe n semideluxe rooms are part of the older building and with no privacy as they open directly into the dining halls,so expect quite a bit of noise and movement,there are about 5 luxury cottages and pricing does not vary much,in fact they accomodate changes without a hassle between KC & Sherlock,pm me in case you need more details,have a good stay & trip
Old 24th March 2010, 10:54   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
oh yes,am quite an Ooty veteran by now as have friends & family there,if you have an option to book yourself at Sherlock,I would suggest that you change it to Sherlock,excellent view,excellent service and newer cottages,opt for the luxury rooms do not go in for the deluxe or semi deluxe rooms(ofcourse this is depnednt on your budget)as the deluxe n semideluxe rooms are part of the older building and with no privacy as they open directly into the dining halls,so expect quite a bit of noise and movement,there are about 5 luxury cottages and pricing does not vary much,in fact they accomodate changes without a hassle between KC & Sherlock,pm me in case you need more details,have a good stay & trip
Ranjit, Thats a good info. Thanks for the same. I was thinking about it and planning to book soon.
Old 29th March 2010, 09:30   #66
BHPian

I am visiting kotagiri this weekend. Staying at Belair Cottage, any feedback? Whats the weather like? Do I need to carry lots of warm cloths?

Also how is the road in the Nanjangaud/bandipur stretch?
Old 29th March 2010, 09:36   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
I am visiting kotagiri this weekend. Staying at Belair Cottage, any feedback? Whats the weather like? Do I need to carry lots of warm cloths?

Road has been freshly laid all the way till Bandipur. You will have no issues.
I have no idea of the weather and the cottage.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:55   #68
BHPian

Thanks, Ampere.

I will be starting early, so all the breakfast joints on Mysore road will be too early for a break. Is there any good places after Mysore?
Old 29th March 2010, 13:00   #69
Senior - BHPian

You can stop at Pug Mark in Bandipur, there are also a few other resorts / hotels around in the same area like MC Resorts although I havent tried breakfast there. You can also try stopping at Nanjangud if the timing is right !
Old 29th March 2010, 13:25   #70
Team-BHP Support

As Kannan said stop at Bandipur Pug marks. Its bang on the main road (highway). You don't have to deviate from it.

Nice place to take a break and enjoy the breeze before starting the beautiful drive the Bandipur forest.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:26   #71
BHPian

I have confirmed my bookings at Sherlock. Thanks to all for the suggestions. You guys rock ! I shall post a review later to my trip !
Old 30th March 2010, 11:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

night temperatures are in the range of 7-8degrees,daytime in the range of 24-27 and evenings around 14-15,this was the case last friday
Old 31st March 2010, 16:31   #73
BHPian

Quote:

1) Kotagiri at night varies from 8 to 12 C.
2) Bandipur rd are still bad. I heard from one from my friends (a week back) they had gone to bandipur (jungle lodges) and the ban is from 9pm to 6am. But some vehicles give some tips to the guys and upto 9.30pm they allow to travel and after that it is strict NO-NO. So plan accordingly to reach the gate.
Old 31st March 2010, 17:02   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
2) Bandipur rd are still bad. I heard from one from my friends (a week back) they had gone to bandipur (jungle lodges) and the ban is from 9pm to 6am.
Bandipur road not good? Thats news. The drive through the forest was always amazing and the road was a butter !
Old 1st April 2010, 12:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
1) Kotagiri at night varies from 8 to 12 C.
2) Bandipur rd are still bad. I heard from one from my friends (a week back) they had gone to bandipur (jungle lodges) and the ban is from 9pm to 6am. But some vehicles give some tips to the guys and upto 9.30pm they allow to travel and after that it is strict NO-NO. So plan accordingly to reach the gate.
Not sure which side of Bandipur is being referred to ,the Bandipur-Ooty stretch is in excellent condition.Probably the road to Kerala is being referred as bad.No issues with Ooty side,not a single pothole.

Yes the 9pm-6am closure is still effective,though discussions have begun in the political circles about changing that on the kerala side as the private buses reach the forest check posts on either side around this time,so the private bus lobby is at it again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks