Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 18:36   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
Traveling to Ooty on the last week of July. We have to go via tiruppur.
The route suggested by Google Maps is - BLR (take NH7)-> Salem -> (take right and move on NH 47) Kumarapalayam -> Chengapalli -> (Take left and move on SH 81) -> Utthukuli -> (Take Left and move on Uthukuli Road) -> Tiruppur -> Move on SH19 -> Take left on NH47 -> Mettupalayam Privu -> Take left and move on SH80 -> Merges to SH 165 and continue on the same till Annur -> Move on SH 80 -> Metthupalayam -> NH67 -> Ooty.
Total Distance mentioned in Google Maps 429 KM.
Few queries:
a) Is there any better route for BLR-> Tiruppur-> Ooty
b) Any idea how's the road conditon?
d) Is it do-able within 10 hours with 2 hours break in Tiruppur?

10 hours with a 2hour break at tiruppur is IMHO not possible.Blr-Tiruppur is going to take you around 4-5 hours,and then reaching Ooty in 3hours is going to be tought.Mettupalayam ooty is going to take you around 2-3hours.Tiruppur-Mettupalayam is going to take you around an hour and a half.I think a safe target of about 4-5hours is good.

Road conditions are overall good,mettupalayam-coimbatore is the bad sector road and that is being bypassed by going via annur so no problems for you.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 00:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Planning to travel to Ooty/Coonoor on Sep 2/3. Return to Bangy on 4th night. Someone suggest budget hotels. Also what about weather conditions? Will it be cold? Road conditions?

PS: A group of eight 20 something boys.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:41   #138

Not sure you will find accommodation in Coonoor, I understand they have the annaul planters meet, combined with a long weekend most places are sold out. No idea on accommodation in Ooty though.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:14   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just came back from Ooty. Stayed at Sherlock. Over all very nice experience. Few niggles here and there. But yes, its worth the stay and views from the place was just amazing.

Shiva, you should re-plan once again!

Food at the place is costly. For that I would recommend a place called "Dhaba Express" right next to hotel Ooty Gate. Serves very decent North Indian food. Though he also serves, non-veg. You cannot walk to these places from Sherlock. You need to take your car.
Ampere, Need your advice on the stay at Sherlock. I am planning for a 2-night stay there with family between 1-Oct to 3-Oct. They are offering luxury rooms close to Rs.5K per night. This is way out of my budget. They have deluxe room as well which is costing about Rs.3K inclusive of tax which i could afford.

I read the feedback on the forum that the luxury rooms open up directly into garden and are very good, whereas the deluxe rooms open directly into dining hall and can get very noisy if lot of people are there and better to avoid. Based on your experience, do you think the deluxe rooms in Sherlock are that bad? Also do people staying in deluxe room get access to the garden area through the front door? Counting on you before I do the booking. Thanks for your help once again
Old 21st September 2011, 14:23   #140
BHPian

Quote:
I read the feedback on the forum that the luxury rooms open up directly into garden and are very good, whereas the deluxe rooms open directly into dining hall and can get very noisy if lot of people are there and better to avoid. Based on your experience, do you think the deluxe rooms in Sherlock are that bad?
I stayed in Sherlock in July. Well, as deluxe rooms are bit noisy and in the morning you can wake up with the smell of good breakfast.

Quote:
Also do people staying in deluxe room get access to the garden area through the front door?
Yes, very much. You can access through the front door and also from the door through the dinning area/space. The difference of these two types are just the view from the room. In the luxury room, you can sit in the balcony and enjoy the scenic beauty where as the same is not applicable for the deluxe room.
musafir_blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 15:18   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Ampere, Need your advice on the stay at Sherlock. I am planning for a 2-night stay there with family between 1-Oct to 3-Oct. They are offering luxury rooms close to Rs.5K per night. This is way out of my budget. They have deluxe room as well which is costing about Rs.3K inclusive of tax which i could afford.
- Yes if you get a room opening into dining then yes, it can be a bit irritating. Because even if you open the front door, you end up seeing some eating! But not that bad I think, as the place is very good. Esp the lawns!

- If you are looking at luxury room, ask them specifically to allot rooms that open into the garden. Be firm on that and dont budge till you get that confirmation. It really helps. the deluxe rooms also have a sit-out which over see the garden. Hence they are very good.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 15:27   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post

I read the feedback on the forum that the luxury rooms open up directly into garden and are very good, whereas the deluxe rooms open directly into dining hall and can get very noisy if lot of people are there and better to avoid. Based on your experience, do you think the deluxe rooms in Sherlock are that bad? Also do people staying in deluxe room get access to the garden area through the front door? Counting on you before I do the booking. Thanks for your help once again
The deluxe rooms can be a little claustrophobic as well as they are smaller in size as well and is slightly lower on the ventilation part as well.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 13:01   #143
BHPian

Which one is a better option at Ooty?

1. King's Cliff
2. Sherlock

If you've got another suggestion, please tell me. Need to book something by tomorrow morning or wifey will throw me out of the house!
Old 21st January 2014, 16:56   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Sherlock is a pretty small property although their website masks it in a very effective manner :-). Plus is that it's 5 minutes from town. If you are looking for a large property where you can walk around and generally not see other people, avoid Sherlock.

Also, the weekend we were there they had a private party which completely inconvenienced other guests. Ask them to respond in writing that they do not have a banquet/private party planned!
Old 21st January 2014, 17:18   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sherlock is a pretty small property although their website masks it in a very effective manner :-). Plus is that it's 5 minutes from town. If you are looking for a large property where you can walk around and generally not see other people, avoid Sherlock.

Also, the weekend we were there they had a private party which completely inconvenienced other guests. Ask them to respond in writing that they do not have a banquet/private party planned!
Ah! I'll just shoot them a mail asking if they have anything else planned at their property. I've book King's Cliff though. My boss and other people in the office recommended that it's a good place.

Thanks for your reply
Old 21st January 2014, 17:53   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Ah! I'll just shoot them a mail asking if they have anything else planned at their property. I've book King's Cliff though. My boss and other people in the office recommended that it's a good place.

Thanks for your reply
Both Kings Cliff and Sherlock are accessible only if you have a vehicle or else its a long walk-especially Kings Cliff,which is quite far from the town centre-so please bear that in mind.
Old 21st January 2014, 20:41   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Both Kings Cliff and Sherlock are accessible only if you have a vehicle or else its a long walk-especially Kings Cliff,which is quite far from the town centre-so please bear that in mind.
No worries about it. Taking my car, Ritz ZXi, for its first highway trip. Now what I need to know is if there are any famous eateries on the way for breakfast, except maddur tiffany/ccd/kamath/adigas/rasta? Also, the location of Shell petrol pumps on the way?
Old 21st January 2014, 22:47   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Now what I need to know is if there are any famous eateries on the way for breakfast, except maddur tiffany/ccd/kamath/adigas/rasta? Also, the location of Shell petrol pumps on the way?
There is Vaishali, Indradhanush, Empire, McDonalds to name a few on Mysore Road. Also a new Food Court (about 110 Km from Bangaore and falls on the left if you are travelling towards Mysore) housing South Indian as well as North Indian restaurants has opened near Mandya.
The review of this place is available in this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...y-road-53.html.
The address is: Right O' Food Hub, Plot # 7, Tubinkere Industrial area, Bangalore – Mysore highway, 10kms after Mandya town.
The location is here.

I don't think there are Shell Petrol Bunks on the way. However there are plenty of Indian Oil, HP and BP bunks. The BP bunk near Maddur attched to Kamath and McDonalds may be a COCO one, but am not very sure.

Wishing you have an enjoyable trip.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 22:50   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Now what I need to know is if there are any famous eateries on the way for breakfast,Also, the location of Shell petrol pumps on the way?
Food options you don't have to worry. As some members pointed out, Bangalore-Mysore road is almost a continuous food court.
You can try the newly opened food court on right side of the road just before Mandya. Good open space and clean rest rooms. Food quality wise I guess all options are more or less same.

I guess the only shell bunk on the route is near Vijayanagar / BHEL junction on Mysore road in Bangalore. If you are looking for other options there is a BP COCO after Chanapattana on left side alongside MacD and Kamat.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:19   #150
BHPian

Thanks for the info @mpksuhas and @samish_g

I actually travel frequently on Mysore highway due to my regular client meet in Srirangapatna. Anything after Mysore? Because I'm hoping I'll cross Mysore by 9am and that's when hunger will strike.

P.S: Just heard from a Ooty-fella in our office that there's a Man-eater roaming free on the outskirts of Ooty. Now this is was certainly not on the list. The tiger has been spotted in tea-estates and has killed 4-5 people by now. Guess I'll lock myself in the hotel after sun-down and maybe go to busy areas during day time. Some known hunters (read: trackers) have been flown in to tranquilize the tiger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks