Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 14:06   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Arun, Suhas, Girish, any thoughts on the route image I posted above?
I guess all your queries are answered already.

My suggestion would be to take NH 209 - Gundulpet - Masinagudi route for onward journey.

For return journey you can try either Salem route or the Sathyamanglam route you had mentioned in map based on the time you starting back. A late Sunday start will land you in long weekend rush on NH 7 toll booths if taking Salem route.

With a planned start ~ 05.00 AM as mentioned, you can expect to reach Nijaguna at Chamarajnagar around 08.00 for breakfast. After this you very much don't have any descent place for pit stop on both the route (Sathyamangalam or Masinagudi).

It is best to avoid Gudalaur route due to bad roads.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 14:42   #182
BHPian

Thanks much, Amp, Arun, Suhas and Girish.
Old 6th October 2014, 08:47   #183

My plans to leave early on 2-Oct changed because of some work. So, I left in the afternoon around 4pm from BLR to Salem. Reached Salem at 630pm for the night's halt. Great roads, very little traffic. Got through most of the Toll gates in quick time.

I drove the next morning to Coonoor from Salem-Bhavani-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Coonoor. Left Salem at 540AM to reach Mettupalayam at 8AM - again wonderful roads to drive!. The climb from Mettupalayam to Coonoor took about an hour. Overall, good drive indeed !

2. The descent from Coonoor took longer though. We were told by the cops that descent from Coonoor to Mettupalayam is not allowed (due to Commissioner's orders or some such) and we were asked to take the Kotagiri route. First of the many surprises in the return leg.

So, we took the road to Kotagiri - as per the cops additional 20Kms - but in the hills, along with the traffic, it easily more than 1 hour. After about 2.5-3 hours of winding roads, hairpins and wonderful views of tea gardens and scenic valley views & navigating through traffic, we reached Mettupalayam around 1pm.

With loads of truck traffic, heavy rains and strong winds along the way (Mettupalayam-Avinashi-Bhavani-Salem-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri), it took all of 5 hours to cross Krishnagiri and then, another 2 hours to get home.

Most toll gates after Salem had a big queue of vehicles and took a while to get past them.

Overall, enjoyed the drive and the weekend!
Old 7th October 2014, 14:51   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish4731 View Post
2. The descent from Coonoor took longer though. We were told by the cops that descent from Coonoor to Mettupalayam is not allowed (due to Commissioner's orders or some such) and we were asked to take the Kotagiri route.
Surprise! I did this stretch on 4th October that too at around 7 pm and i was not diverted though!

On a different note, after seeing the one way board sign at Thalaigunda (Sigur ghat start point towards Masinagudi), stopped the vehicle to enquire with the Police who was manning the section. He said that the stretch was closed for onward traffic to Masinakudi but on my insistence to allow to use the route, he wanted to see the type of vehicle! Since mine is a sedan, he told me that my car would not be allowed to pass through the stretch. However, since I had my booking at bokkapuram, I persisted with my request and he relented to it finally! First and foremost, I think it is not a blanket ban on all days but only during week ends. Secondly, locals are still allowed to use the route. Thirdly, Four Wheel Drive vehicles are allowed anyway without much of a fuss.
Old 7th October 2014, 15:15   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ As per a friend of mine who stays in Coonoor the one-way restrictions were made due to accidents caused by half-witted tourists who over-speed in to blind curves, many of whom are driving on ghat roads for first time.

Though what is mentioned may be true, I have seen many local taxis also driven rashly.
Old 22nd January 2015, 00:26   #186
BHPian

Anybody has recently been to Dhaba Express restaurant in ooty ?.Did not find it in my last visit and enquiries from people in Ooty also was negative.No one seems to know where it is.Read recent reviews online about it so it is definately operating. Any route guidance will be appreciated .
Old 6th May 2015, 12:41   #187
BHPian

Need suggestions for the forthcoming short trip to Ooty.

Reaching Bangalore on 24th June and would be driving to Ooty on 25th June early morning. The one thing that I have already done is to book a ticket for the 1630 toy train from Connoor to Ooty on 25th. Not sure what to do on 26th of June. Its a super short trip, will check out post breakfast on 27th and will either directly drive back to Bangalore or will take a halt at mysore for a short "dekko". 28th flying back to Delhi.

Any recommendations on what would be best to do in Ooty on 26th June would be very welcome. It is a family trip (wife and kids) if that helps you narrow your recommendations
Old 6th May 2015, 13:50   #188
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Need suggestions for the forthcoming short trip to Ooty.
Any recommendations on what would be best to do in Ooty on 26th June would be very welcome. It is a family trip (wife and kids) if that helps you narrow your recommendations
For Bangalore-Coonoor it may be best to keep to NH7-47 Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi, then take Annur-Mettupalayam-Coonoor.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 13:58   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For Bangalore-Coonoor it may be best to keep to NH7-47 Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi, then take Annur-Mettupalayam-Coonoor.
Thanks..and any recommendations on places/activities while in Ooty for a day?
Old 6th May 2015, 14:06   #190
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Thanks..and any recommendations on places/activities while in Ooty for a day?
You can visit the Lake, there is a smaller boathouse on the opposite side of the main entrance (near the Good Shepherd school). This place will usually not have as much crowd.
Also, visit the Botanical garden. If you have time, Dodabetta view point/observatory and Kotagiri view point.
Old 15th July 2015, 12:29   #191
BHPian

Hello All.

Planning a trip to Ooty from 19th-22nd this month. Could anyone provide me with some vital information please -

1) Road conditions. I plan to take the Blore-Mysore-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty route. Plan is to leave by 10 30 am and reach Ooty by 6 pm. Any pointers for this?

2) I am yet to book a stay. Its only two of us and the preferred choice is a nice comfortable resort cottages with a good view and a balcony. Budget is 2-3k. However I am looking at hotels as well. I have done limited research to be honest and the two places that have come up are Hotel Lakeview and Meadows Residency. The former has some bad reviews but the place looks good. The latter has good reviews though. Suggestions are welcome. I intend to book it by today or tomorrow.

3) Crowd. I am assuming this is off season and since I am going on weekdays, it'll be less crowded.

4) Places to visit. I've been to Ooty 4 times in 2009 but every place that I've visited has just disappeared from my brain! Talk about growing old! A draft itinerary for 2 days would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. Awaiting your replies!
Old 18th February 2016, 15:12   #192
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning a Pune-Mysuru-Ooty road trip.

What are the good homestay options in Ooty? I am looking for a quiet place, so not very near to town center is ok (preferred). Should have good view, clean rooms and toilets and food.

Will by driving Ciaz, and with me would be parents, wife and 10 year old kid. Budget ? not sure what's the range and going rate there in May last week.
Old 18th February 2016, 16:15   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Hi All,

What are the good homestay options in Ooty? I am looking for a quiet place, so not very near to town center is ok (preferred). Should have good view, clean rooms and toilets and food.

Will by driving Ciaz, and with me would be parents, wife and 10 year old kid. Budget ? not sure what's the range and going rate there in May last week.
You can check out Glendale tea estate. I heard from a few friends that this place is very calm , pricey although.This is located in Coonor

http://glendalestays.com/index.html
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 16:18   #194
BHPian

Hi

Ooty is really a place you find a hotel at each turn. However inside Ooty there are only a handful of hotels which are really quite and pleasant. There are Ferm Hill Sterling, Elk hill Sterling and there is Kluny Manor.

It may be surprising but the best stays are neither in Ooty or Coonoor. The best are actually on the way from Ooty to coonoor like in Ketti, Lovedale etc. Try Yantra resorts for a change. you get views during all day light.

AB

Last edited by ampere : 18th February 2016 at 16:36. Reason: Formatted post
Bakash4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 16:36   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Hi All,

I would recommend the tea estate bungalows for a relaxed experience. Please note they might be a little away from the tourist circuit but worth it.

Glendale has a two bedroom cottage which should suit you well. You can also look at Tranquilitea and TeaNest.
For the high end you have cottages from LittleEarth and SeredipityO.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks