Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 10:14   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
a quick question in this thread since its already talking about ooty. Planning to leave bangalore by 2pm so would be reaching the bandipur mudhumalai masinagudi section somewhere in twilight condition. just wanted to check if forest dept allows vehicles to travel during this time?
The forest road closes only by 9 PM - so that shouldn't be a problem. Sometime back the checkpost near Masinagudi used to not allow vehicles to pass towards Ooty after 8PM (not sure if it was official or not), but then they could always be persuaded to let you through

If starting from Bangalore at 2PM, you would be passing Masinagudi by about 6 PM or so - so you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:21   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a quick question in this thread since its already talking about ooty. Planning to leave bangalore by 2pm so would be reaching the bandipur mudhumalai masinagudi section somewhere in twilight condition. just wanted to check if forest dept allows vehicles to travel during this time?
closed from 9pm to 6am. Good to start in the morning.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The forest road closes only by 9 PM - so that shouldn't be a problem. Sometime back the checkpost near Masinagudi used to not allow vehicles to pass towards Ooty after 8PM (not sure if it was official or not), but then they could always be persuaded to let you through

If starting from Bangalore at 2PM, you would be passing Masinagudi by about 6 PM or so - so you shouldn't have any issues.
Well that is what i was calculating, coz starting at 2pm from kengeri should reach mysore by 4pm, and in another 1.5 hrs should be past masinagudi. that is what i am calculating, are these realistic times?

I guess once we cross masinagudi there should not be a problem.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:17   #94
Senior - BHPian

Could not edit the previous post as it was past the time

How will be the route below:

Blore > Mysore > Gundulpet > Gudalur > Kavaratty > Ooty. This will be all NH & SH throughout even through forest so should not be a concern. However, the road conditions and traffic might be more.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well that is what i was calculating, coz starting at 2pm from kengeri should reach mysore by 4pm, and in another 1.5 hrs should be past masinagudi. that is what i am calculating, are these realistic times?

I guess once we cross masinagudi there should not be a problem.
Yes that should be pretty comfortable. The traffic thins out after you pass Nanjangud (approx. 20 kms from Mysore), so the Mysore - Gundlupet stretch is easily doable in less than 1 hour. From Gundlupet, it shouldn't take you more than half an hour to 45 minutes to get to Masinagudi now that the Gundlupet-Bandipur road has been repaired.

The road through Gudalur is wider and less steep, but you end up driving around 30 to 40 kms more, plus the forest stretch has speed breakers every 100 metres or so making your progress pretty slow. So I always prefer to take the steeper route through Masinagudi. The climb on that route is quite steep, and has 36 or 37 hair-pin bends, so make sure your car is in good shape. If you're comfortable driving through Ghat sections, this should be a breeze since the road surface is very good even though slightly narrow.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:38   #96
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
closed from 9pm to 6am. Good to start in the morning.
I got a stupid query here. Does it mean that vehicle traffic is banned in the road between 9 and 6? Or is it that you cross the checkpost before 9 you are allowed to drive all the way?
Old 11th May 2010, 14:00   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I got a stupid query here. Does it mean that vehicle traffic is banned in the road between 9 and 6? Or is it that you cross the checkpost before 9 you are allowed to drive all the way?
Once you're in, I'm cent percent certain they won't ask you to go back from mid-way or stay put inside the forest..
Old 11th May 2010, 14:06   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are allowed to drive all the way as long as you cross the check post around 9 PM. Though earlier the Masinagudi check post would open up at any time of the night as long as they are greased enough, now with strict enforcement at the Bandipur check post I don't know if its changed.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:48   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No vehicles allowed after 9PM. Who has gone has to pass.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

Well thanks for all the inputs. I think masinagudi to ooty stretch would be do'able as i would be leaving at around 1.00pm.

I dont mind the extra 30-40 kms incase it gets too dark, i guess the best option is to decide after reaching bandipur since anyways the deviation to gudalpur or masinagudi starts from here.

Anyone has any idea about this address in ooty?

Tiger Hill Road
Upper Thalayatimund
Old 11th May 2010, 16:41   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont mind the extra 30-40 kms incase it gets too dark, i guess the best option is to decide after reaching bandipur since anyways the deviation to gudalpur or masinagudi starts from here.
Not Bandipur - you can decide when you reach Theppekaadu - about 15 kms further - that's where you turn left towards Masinagudi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick
Anyone has any idea about this address in ooty?

Tiger Hill Road
Upper Thalayatimund
Are you going to be staying in Sherlock ? I think there is a thread in this forum discussing stay at that place (Can't recollect where exactly though)
Old 11th May 2010, 20:57   #102
Team-BHP Support

Ask for directions to Hotel Ooty Gate. Tiger Hill road starts from there. That should be easiest. Since you are driving at night, you may not find many folks on road.
Old 11th May 2010, 23:08   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Not Bandipur - you can decide when you reach Theppekaadu - about 15 kms further - that's where you turn left towards Masinagudi.

Are you going to be staying in Sherlock ? I think there is a thread in this forum discussing stay at that place (Can't recollect where exactly though)
Yes the deviation starts from Theppekaadu i missed that . Yeah i would be in sherlock but only for sat, fri we have been booked at kings cliff the sister property of sherlock

Quote:
Ask for directions to Hotel Ooty Gate. Tiger Hill road starts from there. That should be easiest. Since you are driving at night, you may not find many folks on road.
Any ideas about havelock road?
Old 24th May 2010, 18:53   #104
Team-BHP Support

Just came back from Ooty. Stayed at Sherlock. Over all very nice experience. Few niggles here and there. But yes, its worth the stay and views from the place was just amazing.

Shiva, you should re-plan once again!

Food at the place is costly. For that I would recommend a place called "Dhaba Express" right next to hotel Ooty Gate. Serves very decent North Indian food. Though he also serves, non-veg. You cannot walk to these places from Sherlock. You need to take your car.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:05   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Just came back from Ooty. Stayed at Sherlock. Over all very nice experience. Few niggles here and there. But yes, its worth the stay and views from the place was just amazing.

Shiva, you should re-plan once again!

Food at the place is costly. For that I would recommend a place called "Dhaba Express" right next to hotel Ooty Gate. Serves very decent North Indian food. Though he also serves, non-veg. You cannot walk to these places from Sherlock. You need to take your car.
Did you pass via Mysore?
Whats the rent in Sherlock?

Krishna

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks