Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 20:20   #166
BHPian

re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

Thanks mpk. As of the moment it looks like we'll not be going.
Old 26th August 2014, 07:12   #167

Route to Coonoor

Mod Note: Thread merged. Please SEARCH before starting new thread on a topic that has been extensively discussed before.

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Coonoor from Bangalore in early Oct-2014. I wanted to know how the road conditions are on these two routes --

a) Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Mettur -> Mettupalayam -> Coonoor
b) Bangalore -> Kanakapura -> Chamrajanagar -> Sathyamangalam -> Coonoor

I'm trying to avoid the most known route of Bangalore -> Mysore -> Bandipur -> Masinagudi -> Ooty -> Coonoor, since I do expect more traffic on this route than the first two options I've listed.

Appreciate your inputs on the road conditions and the traffic scenario on options (a) and (b).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by noopster : 26th August 2014 at 08:01. Reason: Merged with existing thread
Old 26th August 2014, 08:45   #168
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route to Coonoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish4731 View Post
I'm planning a trip to Coonoor from Bangalore in early Oct-2014. I wanted to know how the road conditions are on these two routes --
a) Bangalore -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Mettur -> Mettupalayam -> Coonoor
Good roads, with lots of traffic around Mettur. So in effect you may not save much on time. As you go through interior roads as well.
If you do Salem-Bhavani-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam, you get end to end fast roads. But then you are detouring by 100km!

Quote:
b) Bangalore -> Kanakapura -> Chamrajanagar -> Sathyamangalam -> Coonoor
Good roads, but Dimbam can be a bottle neck.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:25   #169
BHPian

Hi,

We have planned a trip to Coonoor from Bangalore on Oct 2nd, Thursday and back on Oct 4th, Saturday. There would be 5-6 families with lots of kids

Planning to start from Marathahalli around 4 AM , and would be starting back from Coonoor at 11 AM after BF. Please advise me the best route to take to & fro, and recommended restaurants on the way where we can stop ( BF + lunch on the way to Coonoor , and Lunch + tea on the way back to Bangalore)

Thanks.
Old 5th September 2014, 15:24   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Planning to start from Marathahalli around 4 AM
Please make sure you stick to this schedule to a T. Else you are going to face huge Mysore road traffic. (This being a look weekend)
Old 5th September 2014, 16:55   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
We have planned a trip to Coonoor from Bangalore on Oct 2nd, Thursday and back on Oct 4th, Saturday.
My suggestion would be to take Silk Board - NICE road - Kanakpura exit - Kanakpura - Mallavalli - Chamarajnagar - Gundulpet - Masinagudi route.

I have stopped taking route via city (BTM - JP Nagar - Kanakpura) even for an early morning start to avoid the stress of driving through speed breaker infested roads.

Do note that Kanakpura - NH 209 does not have any descent food joints, you will have to wait till you reached Nijaguna Chamarajnagar for finding breakfast. And with an 04.00 AM start you may reach there around 07.00, I guess they open only by 07.30 (not sure though).

Else you can proceed further till Gundulpet and stop for breakfast, towards Ooty side from Gundulpet you can stop over at Pug Marks restaurant at Jungle lodges where they serve for walk-in customers also.

The Ooty- Gudallur route was broken when I traveled this year FEB, from reports on forum I guess it stays the same way. It is best to avoid this route, however you may not be able to take Masinagudi route since police is known to close the same from Ooty side during crowded weekends.

Apart from the bad road another issue while taking the Gudallur route is that you will find better hotels only around or after Gudallur. With a 11 AM start I guess it will be past 2PM for you to reach the same.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 14:31   #172
BHPian

Guys, I'm driving down from Electronic City, Bangalore to Kotagiri, near Ooty, this long weekend, to spend three days. I have two options for the drive, and I'm looking for opinions from people who have done this route recently or are knowledgeable about the place.

Route 1:
Via Mysore, Gundlupet, Masinagudi to Kotagiri (312 Kms, 6:45 hr journey time per Google Maps)

Route 2:
Via Dharmapuri, Salem, Mettupalayam to Kotagiri (380 Kms, 6:35 hr journey time per Google Maps)

I'm more inclined towards Route 2, since I'll be driving on better highways for the majority of the time and also to avoid the rush in Mysore. Given the current political situation, how safe are the places along route 2? Any kind of protests/blockades etc that may be expected? The planned time of travel is early morning (read 5-6 AM) on Oct 2nd.
Old 29th September 2014, 14:45   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Route 1:
Via Mysore, Gundlupet, Masinagudi to Kotagiri (312 Kms, 6:45 hr journey time per Google Maps)

Route 2:
Via Dharmapuri, Salem, Mettupalayam to Kotagiri (380 Kms, 6:35 hr journey time per Google Maps)
I've taken route 2 - its an excellent and fast route, with minimal traffic problems. I've taken route 1 previously, and I found that route 2 took the same time (despite the longer distance and toll gates), and was much more stress-free (unlike the Bangalore-Mysore stretch). I trust you're branching off from Avinashi to Mettupalayam directly (and not via Coimbatore) and from Mettupalayam going straight to Kotagiri (and not via Coonoor).

The only times you enter cities/towns are at Salem (to take the massive loop flyover) and from Mettupalayam onwards. I would recommend you check the news in the days prior to your travel to confirm the situation (to be sure), but I've heard things are settling down in TN, in general.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 14:58   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any kind of protests/blockades etc that may be expected? The planned time of travel is early morning (read 5-6 AM) on Oct 2nd.
Apart from what is mentioned by Arunphilip in post above regarding political situation (which I guess is improving) you will have to consider rush due to extended weekend at toll booths all along on NH 7. This will be a major irritant especially you are considering starting after 05.00 AM.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 15:08   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I trust you're branching off from Avinashi to Mettupalayam directly (and not via Coimbatore) and from Mettupalayam going straight to Kotagiri (and not via Coonoor).

I would recommend you check the news in the days prior to your travel to confirm the situation (to be sure), but I've heard things are settling down in TN, in general.
Thanks, the plan is to take Avinashi->Annoor->Mettupalayam. I hope things calm down in the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
you will have to consider rush due to extended weekend at toll booths all along on NH 7.
Thanks. I will bypass two major ones - Krishnagiri and Hosur tolls by taking the Palacode route to Dharmapuri. Most of my long highway runs are on holidays, so I think of toll-booth queues as mini-breaks
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 17:21   #176

Quote:
Route 1:

Route 2:
I'm also considering Route 2 to Coonoor currently. I'm waiting for some confirmation the situation in TN is completely normal. Driving on KA registered cars, one may need to be extra cautious.

Hope everything remains normal. Fingers crossed!
Old 30th September 2014, 13:06   #177
BHPian

Name:  gm.png
Views: 3247
Size:  1.26 MB
Considering this also, even though I haven't taken this route anytime. Does anyone prefer the above route rather than via Dharmapuri, Salem, Mettupalayam to Kotagiri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good roads, but Dimbam can be a bottle neck.
Could you provide possible reasons? I guess this is a ghat section at Dhimbam - narrow roads / high traffic / both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I've taken route 2 - its an excellent and fast route, with minimal traffic problems. I would recommend you check the news in the days prior to your travel to confirm the situation (to be sure), but I've heard things are settling down in TN, in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Apart from what is mentioned by Arunphilip in post above regarding political situation (which I guess is improving) you will have to consider rush due to extended weekend at toll booths all along on NH 7. This will be a major irritant especially you are considering starting after 05.00 AM.
Quote:
I'm also considering Route 2 to Coonoor currently. I'm waiting for some confirmation the situation in TN is completely normal. Driving on KA registered cars, one may need to be extra cautious.
Hope everything remains normal. Fingers crossed!
Arun, Suhas, Girish, any thoughts on the route image I posted above?

-Manu.
Old 30th September 2014, 13:16   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could you provide possible reasons? I guess this is a ghat section at Dhimbam - narrow roads / high traffic / both?
The only reason is because, since the road is not tolled, many trucks take this route. And by chance if a truck breaks down, it can stall the traffic. Thats the only reason.

Also take this road during day. I would say avoid at night.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:18   #179

Quote:

-Manu.
While the road is supposedly decent - heard from a friend who went that route - it's a 2 lane. So, can't go overly fast and overtaking could be a challenge as well. !

On a side note, given the number of folks heading out to Ooty/Coonoor this weekend, I think there maybe a big pile up on Mysore road all the way
girish4731 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:49   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only reason is because, since the road is not tolled, many trucks take this route. Also take this road during day. I would say avoid at night.
Quote:
While the road is supposedly decent - heard from a friend who went that route - it's a 2 lane. So, can't go overly fast and overtaking could be a challenge as well.
Hey Manu,
Ampere and Girish nailed it - the 2-lane stretch and truck traffic means you cannot relax and drive on autopilot. Moreover, the 4-laned Krishnagiri-Salem-Avinashi route has one or two stopover points for breaks/meals - the typical expressway points that are very family friendly.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks