Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 16:44   #226
BHPian

Re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Hello matchvan, please follow the default route suggested by Google Maps which is this https://goo.gl/maps/Y5UdKndz742XCVE9A, I can suggest an halt at Anantapur, it's a little over 6hrs drive from Hyderabad. Also consider Anantapur to Coonoor is a 11hr drive.

Please avoid going through Mysore Rd marked in red below, it's in shambles. It's easier for you to drive through Nelamangala - Srirangapatna - Mysore from North Bangalore (Hebbal). Yadiyur to Srirangapatna is a State Highway, but the roads are good, you will be fine.

Attachment 2244762
Thank you sir for adding the screenshot.
Had you not suggested I would have been cursing myself on the D day as I was exploring these routes to save time
The route you suggested looks doable as kurnool would be 15 hrs drive.
Old 13th December 2021, 16:57   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Sir, if I opt vis salem, can Coimbatore be skipped??
Yes, You need not touch Coimbatore. The route via Salem will be: Salem - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Coonoor.

Also note that, if you do non-stop to Coonoor on your second day, it is going to be a long drive and will be reaching Coonoor in the nightly hours. Account for Bangalore city traffic (whatever left after you bypass) or Mysore/Ooty traffic. If you have enough number of days, I'd suggest another layover on Day 2 for a relaxed drive.

On your return you can limit to one day layover.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 19:24   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Need advice from fraternity.
Me, best half and kiddo aged 12 are planning a trip from Hyderabad to Coonoor on 18th.
Plan is to start on 18th evening after 5 PM.
Requesting route queries and where to lay over for the night after 10PM.
I don't prefer night driving.
Suggestions will help a lot.
Thanking in anticipation.
Regards.
A suggestion.
Start the next day early morning instead of 5 PM on 18th.

Start from Hyderabad at 4AM and reach Bangalore in the afternoon, sleep over peacefully in a nice hotel in the city and head off to Ooty for a leisurely drive in the morning via Mysore , finish lunch in Ooty and check into the hotel in coonoor.

The drive from Bangalore to coonoor via Ooty is beautiful, you will enjoy the forests and hills.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 12:40   #229
BHPian

matchvan, if you start at 5pm from Hyderabad the most logical night halt would be Ananthapur. Hyderabad airport to Kurnool would take 2 1/2 hours and Kurnool to Ananthapur would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You are at your hotel in Ananthapur by 10 pm.
A 6 am start from Ananthapur would take you to Davanahalli ( before Bangalore International Airport) by 830. At Nandi X before Devanhalli take a right towards Doddaballapura and then on to Dobbaspet and Gollarahatti where you will hit the Bangalore - Mangalore highway. Continue on this highway till Bellur Cross and then take a left towards Srirangapatna on State Highway 150A. From Srirangapatna take the Mysore road and take a left on the Mysore ring road. Exit the ring road towards Ooty. Nandi X to Mysore Ring road would take 3 hours. Mysore to Ooty will take you 2 1/2 hours if you go via Masanagudi and 3 1/2 hours if you go via Gudalur.
At Nandi X ( Nandi Upachar Udipi Hotel ) do not take the road towards Nandi hills but continue straight and turn right towards Doddaballapura

This is the best route you can take to Coonoor. Do not take the Bangalore Mysore route as it is in shambles due to road widening and crossing Bangalore city on to Mysore road will eat up an hour at least. Forget taking the Hosur - Salem route as crossing Bangalore - Hosur will take you 2 hours minimum. I regularly take this route and do Hyderabad - Coonoor in a day. This is the prefered Bangalore Mysore route for those staying in North Bangalore.
hydtraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:38   #230
BHPian

Hello folks,

Need some advise on what would be the best route to take from Koramangala to Coonoor?

I see one via Erode, TN and the other via Kanankapura Rd. A few years back I have done the Mysore - Ooty route so am familiar (concerns of the 4 laning of Mysore Rd), but does it make sense to use the TN route given I am planned for Coonoor?

Any updates on the road conditions would be helpful as well.

Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries-20220803_101856.jpg
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:50   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonblr View Post
Need some advise on what would be the best route to take from Koramangala to Coonoor?
Kanakapura Road is not in that great condition. However its manageable. Koramagala> NICE Road> Kanakapura> Malavalli> Bannur> Mysore>Gudallur>Ooty>Conoor will be the right route. Owing to the recent rains, the road conditions from TN border till Ooty and beyond is bad. You could take a deviation from Mudumalai and proceed towards Masinagudi>Kalhatti>Ooty> Connoor as well. I am not sure about the condition of the Kalhatti ghat, though.

Neelamangala>Nagamanagala>Srirangapattana>Mysore will be an alternate route. Good roads.

The Salem route will be obviously less tiring owing to great roads, but I reckon its a longer route. If you like to drive on winding roads, then take a deviation from Avniashi>Annur>Mettupalayam>Kotagiri> Connoor.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 11:39   #232
BHPian

Hello,

Planning to travel to Coonoor from Bangalore. How are the roads from Avinashi to Coonoor? Heard some parts are bad. Can a 5 series sedan take it? Thank you
Old 30th December 2022, 10:24   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Hello,

Planning to travel to Coonoor from Bangalore. How are the roads from Avinashi to Coonoor? Heard some parts are bad. Can a 5 series sedan take it? Thank you
Just did the return via Avinashi from coonoor. Roads are fine. The drive from Coonoor via Kotagiri was awesome.
othelloinme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 12:58   #234

Hello Folks

Can any one suggest good stay in Coonoor ?

Home stay or resort or hotel any one ?
Old 7th September 2023, 07:18   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max5414 View Post
Conoor does not have that many hotels. Apart from Taj and MGM, you have Amas (Taj's cottages) and that apart there is Kurumba.

I see there are some some homestays but dont have any specific recommendations. The Taj cottages are very nice though.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 08:58   #236
GTE
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max5414 View Post
Hello Folks

I know of one which is very high in altitude with a breathtaking view try looking for Sayani on Airbnb. If you can't find it let me know I will try and get details.
Old 9th September 2023, 13:03   #237
BHPian

Tea Nest is a good homestay in Coonoor
Old 9th September 2023, 13:23   #238
GTE
BHPian

Apparently the one I was talking about is listed as Shunyata on Airbnb. It is very close to the Ralliah dam.
Old 9th September 2023, 20:00   #239
Senior - BHPian

You could check https://sunvalleyhomestay.com/ which is not very far away from Coonoor town. As @hydtraveller mentioned The Nest is also a good place
Old 24th November 2023, 07:34   #240
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The local authorities have advised tourists to stay away for the next few days due to heavy rainfall and roads being damaged due to landslides. Both routes are in bad shape and traffic is being stopped from getting on to the ghats
Cheers
rajeevsulu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks