Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:51   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: Conoor & Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I actually travel frequently on Mysore highway due to my regular client meet in Srirangapatna. Anything after Mysore? Because I'm hoping I'll cross Mysore by 9am and that's when hunger will strike.
There is a Coffee Day at Gundlupet. You can that halt there. Its a decent place.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:45   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
TAnything after Mysore?

P.S: Just heard from a Ooty-fella in our office that there's a Man-eater roaming free on the outskirts of Ooty.
As ampere mentioned CCD just before Gudulpet is a good option. However full fledged breakfast options will be limited in CCD. There is a big hotel on right hand side before Gundulpet (couple of KM's before CCD), this was opened recently (~1/ 2 years back). Have seen KSRTC buses stopping there and it looks clean from outside.

Yes, last read the tiger was cornered in a tea estate. However that was some 4 days back, not sure what is the status now.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 14:52   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes, last read the tiger was cornered in a tea estate. However that was some 4 days back, not sure what is the status now.
Nopes. It hasn't been caught as of yet. Just spoke to the hotel staff. They said the area of this tiger attack is 15kms away from the resort, near the forest, and in the plain area of some village. But will be cautious still.

About food, wifey has decided we'll carry some awesome gujju snacks from Sangam Sweets, and stop at CCD for some coffee.

Thanks for pouring in your comments guys. Much appreciated.
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:25   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Nopes. It hasn't been caught as of yet. Just spoke to the hotel staff. They said the area of this tiger attack is 15kms away from the resort, near the forest, and in the plain area of some village. But will be cautious still.

About food, wifey has decided we'll carry some awesome gujju snacks from Sangam Sweets, and stop at CCD for some coffee.

Thanks for pouring in your comments guys. Much appreciated.
The tiger is still cooling its heels somewhere near kundachappai area closer to Dottabetta peak. There was restriction on visiting hours to the peak when last heard. Poaching into animal habitat by human-beings but we chose to call it Tiger attack!
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 06:11   #155
BHPian

The tiger was finally shot dead yesterday. What a tragic end to the drama! Again this goes to show the level to which things can go because of public pressure.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:09   #156
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Doddabetta area was called Tiger hill in the old days.
The poor tiger who gave his life was a clear victim of man-animal conflict in the region which is steadily becoming absolutely worse these last twenty odd years.
Human depredation and caprice has cost another wild life.
I am sorry for the poor Tiger and his ilk all over India.
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:34   #157
Senior - BHPian

Does JLR - Bandipur, offer breakfast ? Or is it only for those who stay at their resort ? If they do offer breakfast, its a good option, better than the Gundlupet CCD. And its not too far away from the Gundlupet CCD as well.
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:52   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Does JLR - Bandipur, offer breakfast ? Or is it only for those who stay at their resort ? If they do offer breakfast, its a good option, better than the Gundlupet CCD. And its not too far away from the Gundlupet CCD as well.
I have had lunch there while driving. So I think they should offer BF outsider also. But more than that, do note since its a JLR, timing is very critical. They would just close it. Hence from that point of view, I would say CCD is better.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:02   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Even TN Tourism Development Corporation restaurant offers decent break fast. This is at theppakaadu junction.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 10:21   #160
BHPian

I am planning an Ooty trip with family - four adults and a kid - in summer vacation.
Tentative plan is from 11th May to 16th May - and it looks like
Pune - Bangalore - flight
Bangalore - Mysore - taxi
Stay in Mysore for a couple of days
Mysore - Ooty - taxi
Stay in Ooty from 12th or 13th May to 16th May.
Return to Bangalore by taxi.

Musafir, MMT, Trip Advisor has thrown up quite a few options but not sure which one is good. Never been there.

A couple of years back we had stayed at Coffee Creek in Coorg - one of BHPians own it and the experience was just terrific.
Budget is approx. 2-4k per room. Would need two rooms in Ooty.

< Edit > forgot to add - Ooty can be replaced with Kodaikanal. Other trip plans remain same - Pune - Bangalore - Mysore - Kodaikanal - Bangalore - Pune by air and taxi
Reasonable hotel / tea estate. I would be traveling with parents (72 and 66 yrs) and wife and kid. Would like to have taxi at disposal from and to Bangalore so a bit far from city center is ok < / Edit >

Options please....I know I can bank on huge experience in this team.

Last edited by advaitlele : 27th January 2014 at 10:27. Reason: Edited for Kodaikanal
Old 27th January 2014, 10:52   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
I am planning an Ooty trip with family - four adults and a kid - in summer vacation.
Tentative plan is from 11th May to 16th May - and it looks like
Pune - Bangalore - flight
Bangalore - Mysore - taxi
Stay in Mysore for a couple of days
Mysore - Ooty - taxi
Stay in Ooty from 12th or 13th May to 16th May.
Return to Bangalore by taxi.
< Edit > forgot to add - Ooty can be replaced with Kodaikanal. Other trip plans remain same - Pune - Bangalore - Mysore - Kodaikanal - Bangalore - Pune by air and taxi
Reasonable hotel / tea estate. I would be traveling with parents (72 and 66 yrs) and wife and kid. Would like to have taxi at disposal from and to Bangalore so a bit far from city center is ok < / Edit >

Options please....I know I can bank on huge experience in this team.
Good to know that you are planning your trip well in advance. I do know that our members will pitch in with their suggestions very soon. However, just a word of caution on your alternative option; Mysore to Kodai will be around 370 + km and will involve climbing two ghats, one either via ooty or satyamangalam or MM hills and the other through palani hills or regular kodai road route. Keeping in mind the age of your parents, this might be slightly inconvenient for them to do in a single day.
Old 27th January 2014, 10:59   #162
BHPian

Good to know that you are planning you trip well in advance considering the mad crowd at Ooty during peak summer. Our fellow bhpians will definitely pitch in with their suggestions to your query. However, a word of caution though on your alternative option of trying Kodai instead of Ooty. Going to Kodai from Mysore may involve 370+km of travelling and you may have to pass through two ghats i.e. one through Gudalur or Satyamangalam or MM hills and the other through Palani hills or regular Kodai Road route. May be slightly difficult for your aged parents to do this stretch in a single day!

Edit: Mod - Please delete this thread as I thought the previous thread had not got posted.

Last edited by Gokrish : 27th January 2014 at 11:00. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 27th January 2014, 11:00   #163
Senior - BHPian

Hi Advait

There are several options that you can get for a budget of 4 K. Being the season, most hotels will have an increased tariff.

Makemytrip was offering good rates on Flights + Hotels - good to check that out.

For a group of 4 adults + 1 Kid - I had booked a Suite at Gems Park, Ooty, and it was 6 K / night. We were 4 adults + 1 kid too, and all of us could stay in the same room, as opposed to taking two rooms. (involved some negotiations on the phone - which they relented and agreed)

Gems park was pretty decent. I loved their break fast, but their lunch/dinner options were pretty standard on the menu.

Not to discourage you - the Ooty of May is far different to the Ooty of other months - you just see people and people and people on the roads, what with so many taxi's and private cars just blocking all the entry/exits at the tourist spots and in the main roads (charring cross). I had a tough time last May, and we just stay put in the hotel and surrounding areas.
Old 28th March 2014, 15:33   #164
BHPian

May have to drive to Coonoor with family at short notice (tomorrow). Any suggestions as to the best route from South Bangalore? The Google God shows a few variations, and I wonder if going via Chamarajanagara - Talamalai Reserve Forest - Sathyamangalam would be worth it for the drive and views, or will it be a pain in the rear? We can only leave at midday, so regardless of the route we will reach only at or right after dusk.

TIA!
Old 28th March 2014, 15:49   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
The Google God shows a few variations, and I wonder if going via Chamarajanagara - Talamalai Reserve Forest - Sathyamangalam
Sathyamalgalam route can be taken just for the heck of it, I guess few months back after a TBHP drive members came back in that route, not sure.

Had been to Ooty and Coonoor last in Feb mid, had taken NH 209 - Gundulpet - Masinagudi route while going and Gudalur - Gundulpet route on way back.

Apart from not so good surface beween Chamarajanagar and Gundulpet and few KMS around Masinagudi road surface was good en-route, however Ooty- Gudalur road is filled with huge potholes.
Since you are starting around afternoon, do note that Gundulpet checkpost closes at 09.00 PM.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks