Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 17:08   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am travelling to Cochin from Bangalore on Tuesday. I plan to take Salem-Palghat route. Any updates?
Did this stretch last Sunday. Absolutely no problem with the road other than few diversions after Salem due to construction. No bad stretches at all.
Old 9th January 2010, 14:17   #1067
BHPian

Bangalore- via Salem, Coimbatore, Thrissur to Kochi was the route I took 2 years, ago and it was a brilliant drive. If I remember right, it took me less than 7 hours, non-stop (the joys of driving, alone!).
I am given to understand another NH 209 has come up, which would reduce the distance, but some local would guide you better.
Drive safe, and wear your seat-belt.

KD
Old 9th January 2010, 15:03   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
This Saturday, would like to try Omallur-Sankari road in the evening. What is the exit point in NH7/Omallur? any landmarks? How is the traffic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
I will try to update as soon as I reach home on Saturday. I am taking the same route on Saturday, but in the morning.
Here it is... As promised.

2 kms after Salem Airport (22 kms from Thoppur-Mettur diversion) look for "Omalr Town" sign board on the left. Take right towards Omalur. After 1 km, you need to take right from a "Y" junction (Omalur Town). Continue on the main road for about 40 kms (you may have a confusion after 20 kms at another "Y" junction; you need to take right from there) to reach Sankagiri bye-pass construction on NH47. Take right, just before the over-bridge and continue on the mud-road for 400 mtrs. Join NH47 from there and 'floor' to reach Bhavani.

Door-to-door distance is 530 kms. Just for comparison - The Salem route is 545 kms and Mettur route is 506 kms.

Currently the best of the lot is Omalur-Sankagiri route. The road condition is good enough to maintain a consistent 100-120 kmph. Traveling time is 15 mins less when compared to the Salem route.

Total time taken is 8.5 Hrs including 45 mins breakfast stop at Sree Saravana Bhavan @ Karumathampatti, CBE and another break of 30 mins.

Last edited by TomRider : 9th January 2010 at 15:07.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:21   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Bangalore- via Salem, Coimbatore, Thrissur to Kochi was the route I took 2 years, ago and it was a brilliant drive. If I remember right, it took me less than 7 hours, non-stop (the joys of driving, alone!).
I am given to understand another NH 209 has come up, which would reduce the distance, but some local would guide you better.
Drive safe, and wear your seat-belt.

KD
7 hours, non-stop ? you might be flying then, I am a frequent travaller in this route till Thrissur. Never reached before 8 hrs till Thrissur
Old 9th January 2010, 17:00   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
KD
Are you sure of the timing? Less that 7 hours? Was this during the night? Two years back when I drove to Thrissur, the road widening was happening. Traffic was getting diverted on the same lane. It took nearly 10 hours (during day time) for me to reach Thrissur.

Compared to this, drive last month (again, day time) from Thrissur to Bangalore on this route took 7:55 hours.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:59   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Are you sure of the timing? Less that 7 hours? Was this during the night? Two years back when I drove to Thrissur, the road widening was happening. Traffic was getting diverted on the same lane. It took nearly 10 hours (during day time) for me to reach Thrissur.

Compared to this, drive last month (again, day time) from Thrissur to Bangalore on this route took 7:55 hours.
Now the roads are far better and a non stop drive with a good car can make it within 7 hrs, depending on the time you start. Last Saturday, we started from Hosur 5star petrol pump at 3pm and reached Coimbatore L&T toll at 6.45pm with 4 people in a WagonR at speeds 80-120 & A/c on. Traffic after Avinashi was hectic and after CBE, there was long queue because of Universal travels bus accident at Trichur.

Update on Omallur-Sankari stretch:

For the first time, we took above stretch to avoid Salem day traffic. It was a pleasant two lane road with less traffic and good greenery. First time drivers expect few good turns in this stretch.

This SH crosses NH47 at Sankari (underpass) and small vehicles can enter NH47 four lane road at this junction itself (take immediate left mud road for about 50mts after the underpass)

Last edited by coolclouds : 11th January 2010 at 11:07.
Old 11th January 2010, 11:05   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

My recent drive:
Bangalore HSR, 515 am
Salem,745 am
Coimbatore bypass, 1000 am (slowed down by peak morning traffic)
Palakkad, 1100 am
Trissur, 1200 noon

You can whiz through the Salem-Trissur section at least 30 minutes less time at night.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:18   #1073
BHPian

I just reached Bangalore from Cochin.

Started @ 3.45 am.
Reached @ 10.30 am.

It is my quickest ever. The previous best was 7 hr 15 mins.

Took, CBE-Sankagiri-Omalur-Dharmapuri-Hosur route.

Last edited by TomRider : 11th January 2010 at 13:27.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:29   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did this stretch last Sunday. Absolutely no problem with the road other than few diversions after Salem due to construction. No bad stretches at all.
Thanks. Looking forward to a great drive.
Old 11th January 2010, 17:43   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys,

Reached Bangalore safely by morning 9:30AM starting @ 1:30AM from Pattikkad with almost 90 minutes break (6 hours 30 minutes approx). Comfortable drive with very very less traffic being a Sunday morning. There was a party in Trissur on Saturday eve so we travelled till Trissur during day and took rest in a relatives house at Pattikad. During day time, travel through Kerala is tough due to heavy traffic. We got held up for almost half an hour in Kalady bridge.

Would be driving Kerala once again by mid January, wanted to try Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Cumbom - Idukki - Thodupuzha just for a change only if roads are safe for the car! Will be watching this thread closely
Dear All,

Decided to drive to Thodupuzha from bangalore on Thursday early morning through the below route. Google Maps says 587KMs, any better route without compromising road safety?

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Periyakulam - Theni - Cumbom - Cumbommettu - Idukki - Moolamattom - Thodupuzha
Old 11th January 2010, 19:43   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Decided to drive to Thodupuzha from bangalore on Thursday early morning through the below route. Google Maps says 587KMs, any better route without compromising road safety?

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Periyakulam - Theni - Cumbom - Cumbommettu - Idukki - Moolamattom - Thodupuzha
Dear Jacs ,
few months ago ,I asked @bijuks(tbhp member - Thanks!) regarding another route- From Muvattupuzha to Theni via Pooppara-Bodimett.I think some Private Buses to Bodimett uses this route?Correct Me.

The Route ,He Mentioned is as follows to reach Theni(From Thodupuzha,Adimaaly can be reached via kaloor-paingottoor-Oonnukal-Neryamangalam).

PS: I am interested to know whether anyone else tried below route which does not cross Munnar to Reach Theni and also the road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks

From Muvattupuzha, you can take the following route to reach Theni.

Muvattupuzha - Kothamangalam - Adimaly- Kallarkutty - Vellathooval - Ponmudi - Rajakkad - Pooppara - Bodimettu - Bodinaykannur - Theni.

Distance would be 11 + 50 + 8 + 5 + 5 + 7 + 11 + 12 + 25 + 16 = Total = 150Kms

On an Indica, it should take 0.50 + 1 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.50 + .25 + 1 + .25 = Total = approximately 4.5 Hrs.

Roads are good - keep asking for directions from Vellathooval at every small junction till Rajakkad - that would ensure that you don't get in to bad roads.

Night traffic is not a problem this route.

No elephants too.

Another option is through Munnar - but, little longer. Roads would be smoother - May take another 1 Hr more, if you do the Munnar route.

[....]

Last edited by deepclutch : 11th January 2010 at 19:46.
Old 13th January 2010, 10:31   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Dear Jacs ,
few months ago ,I asked @bijuks(tbhp member - Thanks!) regarding another route- From Muvattupuzha to Theni via Pooppara-Bodimett.I think some Private Buses to Bodimett uses this route?Correct Me.

The Route ,He Mentioned is as follows to reach Theni(From Thodupuzha,Adimaaly can be reached via kaloor-paingottoor-Oonnukal-Neryamangalam).

PS: I am interested to know whether anyone else tried below route which does not cross Munnar to Reach Theni and also the road conditions
Hi deepclutch, google shows this route but its little longer for me since my destination is between Moolamattom and Muttom. My friend is planning to expedite Pooppara-Bodimett route to Kothamangalam, shall update once he travels this route.

According to Google, its 380KMs to Dindigul (Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Dindigul) and from Dindigul to Moolamattom 196KMs (Dindigul - Periyakulam - Theni - Cumbom - Cumbommettu - Idukki - Kulamavu - Moolamattom).

As updated by recent travellers, its all 4 line road till Dindigul from Bangalore (380KMs) which covers almost 70% of my drive. From Dindigul to Cumbom (115KMs) is 2 line but decent road. Cumbom to Idukki (55KMs) is bit twisty but ok road. Idukki to Moolamattom (26KMs) twisty but decent roads.

Shall keep you posted after he travel.

Last edited by jacs : 13th January 2010 at 10:49.
Old 13th January 2010, 22:06   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Hi deepclutch, google shows this route but its little longer for me since my destination is between Moolamattom and Muttom. My friend is planning to expedite Pooppara-Bodimett route to Kothamangalam, shall update once he travels this route.

According to Google, its 380KMs to Dindigul (Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Dindigul) and from Dindigul to Moolamattom 196KMs (Dindigul - Periyakulam - Theni - Cumbom - Cumbommettu - Idukki - Kulamavu - Moolamattom).

As updated by recent travellers, its all 4 line road till Dindigul from Bangalore (380KMs) which covers almost 70% of my drive. From Dindigul to Cumbom (115KMs) is 2 line but decent road. Cumbom to Idukki (55KMs) is bit twisty but ok road. Idukki to Moolamattom (26KMs) twisty but decent roads.

Shall keep you posted after he travel.
Your route through Idukki is the shortest by distance to reach Muttom . I have driven till Theni from Bangalore recently and roads are very good. reached Theni in 7Hrs with 30 mins break. After that I don't have the timing information. Have a nice trip!

My friend has traveled through Pooppara - Rajakkad - Adimali - Kothamangalam route recently. Started at 3:00pm from SilkBoard and reached kothamangalam by 1:30am. The Pooppara - Munnar - Adimali route may take another 30 min max, but less curvy and is recommended because of the ease of drive. To reach Kothamangalam in lesser time - you can opt for Palakkad route.

The Bodimettu - Pooppara stretch is little patchy now - with small potholes. Also expect thick fog at mornings, evenings and night.

Last edited by bijuks : 13th January 2010 at 22:08.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:22   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Just returned from Cochin. Took Salem > Coimbatore > Cochin while going and come back.

The road is very good, including Kerala, barring a small stretch after Salem. The number of tolls have increased with the betterment of roads. I see that a new toll is coming up after Attibelle.

Food - As usual, had lunch and breakfast in Walayar Motels in Palgat while going and coming back respectively.
Old 15th January 2010, 16:04   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Reached home safely yesterday noon by 11:40AM starting 12:10AM early morning, odo showed 581KMs door to door. Yes 11 hours 30 minutes with different breaks of almost 2 hours for breakfast, nature calls, sightseeing, fuel filling etc and around 20 minutes for traffic halt in Hosur. Below are the details for your reference, figures can vary slightly as I plotted from my memory (no logbook due to hurry)

Bangalore to Dindigul - 370KMs approx - 5 hours approx - Max speed < 120Kmph
Its just a breeze with all 4 lines and less traffic compared to coimbatore route after Salem. I consistantly maintained 100Kmph (-/+20 ) on Accent CRDI, never tried above 120 since my vision is not very good to the misfocused headlight assembly. Its less than 370KM for sure from Electronic City but I missed the diversion to Madurai route from Dindigul since I travelled over the bridge and travelled 10minutes extra making it 370 in odo (need to take the service road in Dindigul and take right underpass in second bridge). Took diversion to Madurai route from Dindigul by 5:20AM (lost almost 20 minutes in Hosur traffic jam due to Pongal travel rush and couple of breaks for attending nature calls and fuelling from Salem)

Dindigul to Cumbom - 110KMs Approx - 2 hours approx - Max speed < 100Kmph
2 line but decent roads, potholes are already filled making it bit uneven while cruising in high speeds. I never crossed 100kmph in this route, sticked to 80kmph most of the time since lot of people on sides and junctions etc. Reached Cumbom by 8:30AM (Breakfast from Theni, Hotel name was Sri Annapoorna if i recollect correctly. Good food but unclean rest rooms).

Cumbom to Arakkulam (near Moolamattom) - 100KMs approx - 2.5 hours approx - Max speed <80Kmph
Cumbom ro Cumbommettu (Kerala Border) is just around 14KMs away but will take more than 30minutes due to the climb through bad forest roads - no lanes (18 hair pin curves). Its amazing drive, scenic and adventurous! Cumbommettu to Kattappana is less than 20KMs again 2 laned but good roads. Kattappana to Arakkulam is also 2 laned but good roads, distance is around 60KMs. You could spot wild elephants in Meenmutty during early morning and late evening if lucky. We stopped in couple of view points to see Idukki Arch Dam, Tamil nadu areal view, buying vegeatables etc and reached home by 11:40AM.

We were not very tired like in normal Salem-Palakkad route drives, good scenary slowed us down but worth stopping. Would advice this route to anyone, only issue is Cumbommettu to Cumbom which is to be taken up very carefully. Almost every directions highlighted properly throughout the route, careful only about the turns in Salem and Dindigul which is to be taken through the underpass of bridge.

@hvk, I could find the turn to Bodi-Munnar before Cumbom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Your route through Idukki is the shortest by distance to reach Muttom . .

Yes Biju, its shortest for sure. My odo showed 581 Kms door to door compared to 600+ via Palakkad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks