Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 16:23   #6196
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Roads are in good condition end to end.
The best route to take will be NICE road - Kanakpura - Kollegal - Chamarjnagar (NH 209) - Gundelpet - Sultan Batthery - Vythiri - Calicut (however there is a small stretch between Chamarajnar - Gundelpet where roads are bad).

If you would require food stoppages in between you can take SH 17 to Mysore and join Gundelpet via Nanjanguad. Road condition is good on this route also, however be prepared to take 180+ speed breakers.
[/url]
Thanks mpksuhas. I haven't traveled through this route from Bangalore before. I hate those speed bumps between Bangalore and Mysore, even though the road are good, the bumps doesn't have any markings and are huge and in different shapes.

Will I be having proper markings on where to deviate to take this route you have mentioned ? Else I am thinking about taking the longer route of Bangalore - Palakkad - Calicut, coz I heard the roads are good in this stretch now.

Any updates in the Ghat roads after wayanad ? in good shape or bad like before.
Old 18th December 2013, 16:35   #6197
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I am planning to do a Chennai - Palakkad - Thattekad drive this weekend. I have the below queries

1) How is the Coimbatore Palakkad stretch via Walayar - do-able or should I take an alternate route ?
2) Palakkad - Thrissur - Angamaly ( get into town to MC road ) - Kalady - Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam - Thattekad --- Is this route ok ? Do all these towns on route have bypasses ? Pls advise on road conditions and anything I need to be aware of

Thanks a lot
By the way, I am staying at a place called Periyar River lodge - adjoining the Periyar river.
Old 18th December 2013, 17:24   #6198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
Thanks mpksuhas. I haven't traveled through this route from Bangalore before. I hate those speed bumps between Bangalore and Mysore, even though the road are good, the bumps doesn't have any markings and are huge and in different shapes.

Will I be having proper markings on where to deviate to take this route you have mentioned ? Else I am thinking about taking the longer route of Bangalore - Palakkad - Calicut, coz I heard the roads are good in this stretch now.

Going via Palakkad is madness. Kanakapura Road is good to take if you are not comfortable with Mysore Road, please go ahead.

I had created this clipbook from this thread on TBHP before I took this route the first time. Hope it will help you (I had even printed and taken it with me the first time):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Roads between towns are fine - you might have trouble only when you are within these towns (especially Kollegal and Chamarajanagar). If you follow the clipbook you are good. I managed it, and now I give advice on this route here.

Things to remember:

- Never turn into a road that is advertised as going to Mysore.
- Never turn into a road that is advertised as going to Nanjangud.
- Turn into roads that are advertised as going to Kollegal, and after that
- Turn into roads that are advertised as going to Chamarajanagar.

My last trip from Calicut was on 5/11 - the Kalpetta-Vythiri-Adivaram-Thamarasseri road (Thamarasseri churam and nearby towns) was in first-class condition.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 17:48   #6199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
Will I be having proper markings on where to deviate to take this route you have mentioned ?
No need to worry about getting lost. If it is first time you are taking this route you can take the Mysore road since it is very much single road without deviation.
If you are familiar with Mysore all you need to do is go towards Mysore Dussara exhibition ground (past Mysore palace, opp side). Soon as you cross exhibition ground you need to take left (towards Nanjagaud / Gundelpet) again it is same road from there.

Ghat roads after Wayanad is in good condition, I had traveled this route 2 weeks back. Only thing to worry about is few unmarked speed breakers in KA side of Bandipur forest.

Also, do remember to cross forest check-post will be closed between 09.00 PM to 06.00 AM.
Old 18th December 2013, 18:32   #6200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
I am planning to do a Chennai - Palakkad - Thattekad drive this weekend. I have the below queries

1) How is the Coimbatore Palakkad stretch via Walayar - do-able or should I take an alternate route ?
I can answer #1 above. Cbe-Walayar-Palakkad is very much doable without any trouble. CBE-Walayar is very rough, with some bad stretches near diversions, while Walayar-Palakkad is much better.

If you are headed to any place towards Thrissur or beyond, then consider the Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy option which is a faster and smoother route.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 19:38   #6201
BHPian

I have planned to visit Nagarhole sanctuary in November but missed out. Now again I am planning the same in the next weekend (total 3 days). The plan is to drive to Nagarhole on the first day(Sunday), take the forest dept safari;drive through the forest and reach Kutta or Thirunelly. Stay either at Kutta / Thirunelly. Visit Kuruva islands the next day(Monday). Next day(Tuesday) drive to Kabini, take the safari at Kabini. Return to Bangalore in the evening.
Which will be a better place to stay, Kutta or Thirunelly? Can we get spot accommodation at a budget hotel(Sunday & Monday). How are the roads from Hunsur - Nagarhole -- Kutta -- Thirunelly -- Kuruva & Kutta/Thirunelly -- Kabini -- Handpost -- Hunsur. I'll be driving a ritz, so need to know if roads are drivable.
I also need to know from where I can avail forest safaris in Nagarhole, Thirunelly & Kabini.

Please help me in finalizing the plan.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-nagarhole.jpg  

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 18th December 2013 at 19:51. Reason: added map
Old 19th December 2013, 01:14   #6202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have planned to visit Nagarhole sanctuary in November but missed out. Now again I am planning the same in the next weekend (total 3 days). The plan is to drive to Nagarhole on the first day(Sunday), take the forest dept safari;drive through the forest and reach Kutta or Thirunelly. Stay either at Kutta / Thirunelly. Visit Kuruva islands the next day(Monday). Next day(Tuesday) drive to Kabini, take the safari at Kabini. Return to Bangalore in the evening.
Which will be a better place to stay, Kutta or Thirunelly? Can we get spot accommodation at a budget hotel(Sunday & Monday). How are the roads from Hunsur - Nagarhole -- Kutta -- Thirunelly -- Kuruva & Kutta/Thirunelly -- Kabini -- Handpost -- Hunsur. I'll be driving a ritz, so need to know if roads are drivable.
I also need to know from where I can avail forest safaris in Nagarhole, Thirunelly & Kabini.

Please help me in finalizing the plan.
Always plan to stay in Kutta, there are amazing home stays. Only concern is that everything will be booked by this time.

You will enter Nagarahole forest from Hunsur side and exit at Kutta. You will find the Safar office in between 14kms before exit gate.

I don't think you have public safari in Kabini, only JLR does.

From Kutta you reach Kerala border in 4 kms at a place called Tholpetty junction. You can avail Jeep safar here into Wayanad forest (Nagarahole forest of Kerala).

From this place you need to further travel around 20 kms into wayanad to reach Tirunelly. But Tirunelly is a Vishnu temple in Brahmagiri range not a safari post.
NaveenKD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 08:09   #6203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
Always plan to stay in Kutta, there are amazing home stays. Only concern is that everything will be booked by this time.

You will enter Nagarahole forest from Hunsur side and exit at Kutta. You will find the Safar office in between 14kms before exit gate.

I don't think you have public safari in Kabini, only JLR does.

From Kutta you reach Kerala border in 4 kms at a place called Tholpetty junction. You can avail Jeep safar here into Wayanad forest (Nagarahole forest of Kerala).

From this place you need to further travel around 20 kms into wayanad to reach Tirunelly. But Tirunelly is a Vishnu temple in Brahmagiri range not a safari post.
Thanks NaveenKD! Accommodation availability is the issue which is making me think of Thirunelly as base. How are roads in Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpetty -- Thirunelly -- Kabini. While googling Kabini, I saw a link which mentions coracle rides on the river - I am really interested in taking this boat ride.
Old 19th December 2013, 18:24   #6204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I can answer #1 above.
If you are headed to any place towards Thrissur or beyond, then consider the Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy option which is a faster and smoother route.
My friend is planning to drive to Guruvayoor from Bangalore this sunday, where should I advise him to deviate to go via Pollachi-Nenmara.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:30   #6205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
My friend is planning to drive to Guruvayoor from Bangalore this sunday, where should I advise him to deviate to go via Pollachi-Nenmara.
Ask him to deviate from nh47 at perundurai and go via perundurai kangayam palladam pollachi
Old 19th December 2013, 22:24   #6206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

Palakkad to Thattekad via this route seems to be very circuitous. are you sure one needs to go all the way to Pollachi and then come back all the way to Thrissur ? I heard the NH47 is very good now from Palakkad to Thrissur
Old 19th December 2013, 22:51   #6207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Palakkad to Thattekad via this route seems to be very circuitous. are you sure one needs to go all the way to Pollachi and then come back all the way to Thrissur ? I heard the NH47 is very good now from Palakkad to Thrissur
Silversteed was talking about going straight to Thrissur from Chennai. If Palakkad is your destination, Cbe-Walayar-Palakkad is doable

Palakkad-Mannuthy-Angamaly-Kalady-Perumbavur is good. But you have to pass through all the towns from Angamaly. No by-pass on MC Road.

No idea about roads beyond that
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 01:32   #6208
BHPian

Anyone recently traveled Tenkasi-Punalur-Adoor route? It was pretty bad couple of months back, want to know if it was repaired. (I am Planning to drive Bangalore-Oachira). Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:14   #6209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli

No idea about roads beyond that
Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam did last week and in good condition. Kothamangalam - Thattekad also should be fine.

I visited Thattekad years back when there was a ferry and we enjoyed the trips to Vadattupara and Edamalayar. Its a nice place.
Old 20th December 2013, 13:50   #6210
BHPian

Anyone recently travelled on Kumily Route. I will be travelling from Thiruvalla-Ranny-Theni-Dindigul. How are the road conditions, any idea?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks