Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 09:42   #7816
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Why isn't anyone considering the L&T bypass-Pollachi road?

By the way, the second photo looks like it is somewhere close to my farm!
After 2 years, this was my first time on the NH 47 beyond Perundurai. On previous trips I'd turned off at Perundurai towards Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi.
This time I wanted to try the Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam alternative so took this route.
Reasons why I'd still avoid the route beyond Avinashi (unless going to Coimbatore):
-There are so many of those speed-breakers on the flyovers due to expansion joints (I encountered about 4 of them before the Mangalam turn off itself)
-L&T bypass is a pain, narrow with heavy traffic and need to show the toll receipt about 5 times till you exit
-And beyond Madukkarai I'd also avoid Walayar-Palakkad-Alathur till the widening work is complete (better to take Pollachi-Gopalapuram-Chandranagar if going to Palakkad).

Ah, nice to know your farm is somewhere near that place, it was green all around and coconuts abound the place.

Last edited by NPV : 14th November 2014 at 09:44.
Old 14th November 2014, 10:21   #7817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Anyone travelled from Bangalore to Kottayam via Theni-Cumbum-Kumily-Ettumaoor route recently, say in last 3-4 months. How is the general road condition from Theni to Etumanoor.

However, this time I need to travel to Etumanoor and considering the pathetic condition of MC road from chengannur to Kottayam, thought I will take Theni-Etumanoor route.
FundaG
Did you do this route (Theni-Kumily-Ettumanur) ? How are the roads ?
Old 14th November 2014, 10:27   #7818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Did you do this route (Theni-Kumily-Ettumanur) ? How are the roads ?
Nope.. Change in plans.. would most probably be taking the usual Thenkasi route which has good roads all the way.

FundaG
Old 14th November 2014, 11:36   #7819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
-L&T bypass is a pain, narrow with heavy traffic and need to show the toll receipt about 5 times till you exit
-And beyond Madukkarai I'd also avoid Walayar-Palakkad-Alathur till the widening work is complete (better to take Pollachi-Gopalapuram-Chandranagar if going to Palakkad).

Ah, nice to know your farm is somewhere near that place, it was green all around and coconuts abound the place.
I guess the L&T toll amount is still the same Rs 31.
Old 14th November 2014, 18:40   #7820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs

Its 31 as on yesterday.

They are not checking the receipt in detail. I paid at first booth but showed the Trichur toll receipt to all following booths and went through without a question.

Btw, Trichur receipt is white while L&T it is light blue one side.

Last edited by coolclouds : 14th November 2014 at 18:46.
Old 14th November 2014, 18:54   #7821
BHPian

Can anyone give the latest status of Dindigul-Kumily-Kottayam route ? I am planning to start in the next 1 hour and hence it would really help me if someone can help me with the current road conditions.
Old 14th November 2014, 20:48   #7822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

Yes.. as of 20th of Oct.2014
Old 15th November 2014, 15:03   #7823
BHPian

All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
They are not checking the receipt in detail. I paid at first booth but showed the Trichur toll receipt to all following booths and went through without a question.

Btw, Trichur receipt is white while L&T it is light blue one side.

I think they let the vehicles through looking at the number plate but then I maybe wrong also couldn't say this for sure. Most of the time I don't even show my slips and they would let me pass through after checking in their monitor.

Cheers!

Last edited by treadmark : 15th November 2014 at 15:04.
Old 15th November 2014, 15:51   #7824
BHPian

Had a disastrous trip. Till I reached Mangalam via Avinashi byepass, it was all good. Then somehow I ended up back in L&T byepassand was heading towards Palakkad ( had kept my map switched off when this happened)

Then took the Pollachi road from the L&T byepass. Navi maps made me do a complete circle at Pollachi. Switched to Google maps and that helped to find the right way thru Kollengode, Nemmara (Nenmara). Both towns has traffic. Started at 5am from Domlur and reached Cherthala by 3pm.

Last edited by rejeen : 15th November 2014 at 15:55.
Old 15th November 2014, 22:12   #7825
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Had a disastrous trip. Till I reached Mangalam via Avinashi byepass, it was all good. Then somehow I ended up back in L&T byepassand was heading towards Palakkad ( had kept my map switched off when this happened)

Then took the Pollachi road from the L&T byepass. Navi maps made me do a complete circle at Pollachi. Switched to Google maps and that helped to find the right way thru Kollengode, Nemmara (Nenmara). Both towns has traffic. Started at 5am from Domlur and reached Cherthala by 3pm.
Once you get onto the Mangalam turn off from Avinashi bypass you just need to go straight at all junctions till Palladam. Again straight from here (signal) to Pollachi. At pollachi go to dead end and turn right Or right at big junction leading to bus stand and proceed straight. That will take you to Palakkad. For kollengode turn left at checkpost at the beginning of Palakkad road.
Wondering how you got lost so badly you could have stopped somewhere and asked someone if in doubt.
I did not even have/use maps!!!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 22:22   #7826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I did not even have/use maps!!!
maybe that is the reason !!

by the way, Perundurai-L&T bypass road is a lot better: speed breakers flattened/smoothed and well marked ahead. Except for the disjoint at Karumathampatti and at the bypass starting, it is a perfect 6 lane.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 18:19   #7827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys

maybe that is the reason !!

by the way, Perundurai-L&T bypass road is a lot better: speed breakers flattened/smoothed and well marked ahead. Except for the disjoint at Karumathampatti and at the bypass starting, it is a perfect 6 lane.
You are right. I did this route few hours ago and it took just 4 hrs 30 mins from Koramangala till L&T entry which includes a lunch at Saravana Bhavan. Even CBE Palakkad is ok for 60kmph speeds.
Old 16th November 2014, 20:50   #7828
BHPian

Please update the road conditions from Bengaluru to Bhawani via Mettur Dam and after that onto to Coimbatore. Not taken this route for years or should I follow the beaten track Via Salem/Sankari?
Old 17th November 2014, 06:16   #7829
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Please update the road conditions from Bengaluru to Bhawani via Mettur Dam and after that onto to Coimbatore. Not taken this route for years or should I follow the beaten track Via Salem/Sankari?
Not sure about the Mettur-Bhavani route, haven't taken that in years.
The 4 lane is almost complete all the way to coimbatore so that is definitely an option.

If you want a more scenic route why don't you try Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam ghats-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Karumathampatti (here you can get back onto NH47)-Coimbatore
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 09:41   #7830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
I had been on the mettur-bhavani route in aug 2013. it was a treat to drive. Recently in april 2014 a frind of mine had been on this stretch. He said the roads were good to drive.
You can expect traffic on this stretch courtesy the lorries.To go to Coimbatore you have 2 options

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri,Thoppur,Mettur,Ammapettai,Athani,Sathy and Annur, provided your destination is North Coimbatore.

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri,Thoppur,Omalur,Tharamangalam,Sankagiri and Avinashi, provided your destination is South Coimbatore.

More details of my trip. (refer post no 668)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3377785

Last edited by suresh_gs : 17th November 2014 at 09:44.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks