Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 14:24   #3451
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Just drove back from Panjim to South Bangalore on 26th March.

Took the Margoa -> Karwar -> Yellapur -> NH4 -> Nice Road -> Jayanagar route.

I read the update here about the Mudgod, Bankapur option and decided to try it.
Highly recommend it. Save quite a bit of distance. The Mudgod deviation is just before the start of Yellapur town and the road splits into two. The left side continues to Yellapur and Hubli. The right side takes you to Mudgod and then to Bankapur. Google maps is very precise and useful here. The GPS in my car also showed it correctly.

The route itself is smooth and the roads are very good condition. The stretch to Mudgod is through a forest sort of region and the road is quite narrow. When you pass another vehicle you will have to get onto the muddy surface. However, in the entire stretch I probably saw 10-15 vehicles so it was not even an issue in reality.
The mudgod to Bankapur section is freshly laid and is again a smooth ride. No problems there. The stretch from Bankapur to NH4 is a very rough one.The top surface of the road has completely come off and you must drive very slowly. However, this is less than 2KM stretch so again not really a problem.

Overall smooth drive. Reach home in 9hours with no breaks.
ash_blore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 10:50   #3452
Senior - BHPian

Visiting South Goa on 8th April and following is the plan.

Bangalore-Goa:
Start at 5AM on 8th April from Marathahalli and take Nice road-Tumkur-Haveri-Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Karwar-Quepem.

Goa-Bangalore:
Start at 5AM on 10th April from Quepem and take Mollem-Anmod-Ramnagar-Dharwad-Tumkur-Nice Road-Marathahalli.

I am hoping to provide complete status of both of the short routes to all BHPians.

Regards,

Last edited by rajivtelang : 30th March 2016 at 10:52.
Old 30th March 2016, 10:57   #3453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

Bangalore-Goa:
Start at 5AM on 8th April from Marathahalli and take Nice road-Tumkur-Haveri-Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Karwar-Quepem.

Goa-Bangalore:
Start at 5AM on 10th April from Quepem and take Mollem-Anmod-Ramnagar-Dharwad-Tumkur-Nice Road-Marathahalli.

I am hoping to provide complete status of both of the short routes to all BHPians.

Regards,
Latest reports say that the Anmod-Ramnagar stretch has been completely relaid now. And yes, this is news is from many who drove last weekend too (Non Bhpians).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 11:04   #3454
BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore-Goa:

Regards,
Took this road last weekend to Palolem in South Goa after checking previous posts here. Road is very good till Bankapur. Between Bankapur and Yellapur, road is a bit narrow and goes inside a forest area. After Yellapur road is good until South Goa.

Only thing is you should be careful to take a deviation just after the Bankapur toll onto the left hand side. Immediately after the toll get onto the service road, you will find a small tea shop on the left, have tea over there and proceed by taking a left.

One thing I didn't understand as to why we have to pay toll at the Bankapur toll since we would be not be taking the main road at all after that. Checked with the toll guy asking him to let us go without toll, he did not agree. We had to pay 90 bucks without using the road at all.

Not aware of the second road you have mentioned.

KK
Old 30th March 2016, 12:05   #3455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

One thing I didn't understand as to why we have to pay toll at the Bankapur toll since we would be not be taking the main road at all after that. Checked with the toll guy asking him to let us go without toll, he did not agree. We had to pay 90 bucks without using the road at all.
Never understood the concept of toll. Do we pay the amount for the road used or is it for the road to be used after payment.
Old 30th March 2016, 12:46   #3456
BHPian

Quote:
Never understood the concept of toll. Do we pay the amount for the road used or is it for the road to be used after payment.
Think toll is collected before entering the road, since the user should have the option of pay and use or take an alternate route without paying.
Old 31st March 2016, 01:32   #3457
BHPian

Hi Guys!!!

Heading to Vagator this Monday (4th April), will be starting from South Bangalore. I have gone through the thread for past 3 months and these routes seems to be the alternative (idea is to reach Goa by afternoon 2-3pm and use that day as well in Goa):

Bangalore - NICE Road - NH4 - exit NH4 at Kittur - Bidi - Khanapur - Chorla - Sanqelim - Bicholim - Mapusa - Vagator

Bangalore - NICE Road - NH4 - exit NH4 at MK Hubli - Khanapur - Chorla - Sanqelim - Bicholim - Mapusa - Vagator

Currently I am planning either (Plan A) Sunday (3rd April) day start and stop over at Hubli and reach Goa from Hubli which should be around 5-6 hrs

However, given certain situation I (Plan B) may want to leave on Monday 2-3 AM and drive straight to Goa. Hence, wanted to know pointers on the above Plan A and B (if they sound fine). Also if there is any particular road condition I need to be careful about. I have taken a note of all the eateries and Petrol bunks enroute provide by paragsachania. A special thanks to him.

Also, on the Chorla route which I did around 2 years back and was headed to Candolim and I am not sure how but was routed by GPS via Panjim and got stuck in bad evening traffic. If there are any particular turns that I need to be looking out for, please do let me know, or else I will use google maps this time. (Last time I was using my car GPS).

Are there any GPS/Android Apps which lets you play music with navigation and also alerts of any upcoming enroute marked spots (like restaurants etc.) on a car mode? I am using One Plus One.

Thanks a lot
Old 1st April 2016, 11:37   #3458
BHPian

Hi All

I returned from Goa yesterday (March 31, 2016) after a 5 day vacation in Candolim. So here is the route update. Quick Update: Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod route is excellent freshly laid tarmac. This should be the primary route for most and no need to go via Khanapur.

Bangalore-Goa:
=============
Route: BG Road - NICE Road - Tumkur Road - Hubli - Alnavar - Khanapur - Anmod - Panjim - Candolim

Route Status: From Alnavar - Khanapur is good roads but with lots of speed breakers. From Khanapur to Anmod is really narrow but good roads. The road can accomodate one vehicle at a time and be prepared to step out of the tarmac everytime there is a vehicle in the opposite direction.

Food: Breakfast - Hotel Ratnam (before Tumkur). Lunch - CCD (@ Shigaon). The CCD is run by amatuers. Do not expect good coffee here. (Last time it was fine. But new employees have spoilt it).

Goa - Bangalore:
===========
On the way back, I checked with the Commercial tax officer on status of Anmod-Ramnagar-Alnavar and he said with pride that the road is excellent. So I decided to take this with a little doubt on the back of my mind.

But finally the route turned out to be excellent. No porblems at all. It is freshly laid tarmac and in great condition. No need to take the deviation via Khanapur - just to skip Ramnagar.

Arvind
Naetik30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 12:07   #3459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post

On the way back, I checked with the Commercial tax officer on status of Anmod-Ramnagar-Alnavar and he said with pride that the road is excellent. So I decided to take this with a little doubt on the back of my mind.

But finally the route turned out to be excellent. No porblems at all. It is freshly laid tarmac and in great condition. No need to take the deviation via Khanapur - just to skip Ramnagar.
Arvind
Thanks for the update Arvind. I am travelling to Ponda during third week of April and this update is fantastic I will stick to the usual Blore - Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod route then

Last edited by vin_b : 4th April 2016 at 12:13.
Old 4th April 2016, 13:35   #3460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Goa - Bangalore:
===========

Arvind
Thanks Arvind and this is exactly the confirmed news that I had received from my friends who had driven to Goa 2 weeks before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Latest reports say that the Anmod-Ramnagar stretch has been completely relaid now. And yes, this is news is from many who drove last weekend too (Non Bhpians).
So now, those heading to South Goa and wanting super clean (and perhaps shortest) route can take this.
Old 4th April 2016, 15:52   #3461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
Thanks for the update Arvind. I am travelling to Ponda during third week of April and this update is fantastic I will stick to the usual Blore - Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod route then
Sir, you can take this route without second thought. I did drive on this route last week & road between Goa Border to Ramanagar is completely relaid. One can easily do Margao to Hubli in around 3 hours.
Old 11th April 2016, 11:37   #3462
BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to Goa and back on the Ugadi weekend.

Route: Bangalore->Hubli-Dharwad Bypass->Aravatagi->Alnavar->Ramnagar->Anmod->Mollem->Ponda->Margao and back to Bangalore on the same route.

Route condition of Dharwad->Aravatagi->Alnavar is decent with two rail crossings. Road is little bad for around 500 meters in the beginning due to a flyover construction - but motorable and no big issue since the rest of the stretch is very good. Road is little rough with no marking near Alnavar exit. Ramnagar to Anmod is freshly laid and very good - but with no lane markings and a little narrow. Goan roads are well marked and maintained. This should be the by default choice for people going to Goa (central and north and possibly even the south). Beware of motor bikes and trucks near Anmod and Mollem - these don't honk or acknowledge when you honk and will usually be riding very fast in the ghat areas - typical ghat driving etiquette is very much needed here. The road after Alnavar had an accident where a Maruti Omni got veered off the road and barged on to the woods around - one should never overtake without clear line of sight.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 11th April 2016 at 11:46. Reason: Grammar correction and added more info
Old 13th April 2016, 11:26   #3463
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Returned from Goa on Sunday. This was very short trip, left Bangalore on Friday at 5.30 from HSR layout and returned on Sunday evening. Both time I took the Anmod-Ramnagar route. Great route all the way. Only pain is on the wait at the railway crossings. Bad to see the flyovers are in the same incomplete state for years. But a highly recommended route.

From Bangalore (8th April):
Started at 5.30AM from HSR and reached Madgaon bus depot at 5.30PM with 2 breaks 45min each via Ponda bypass roue to drop my friends there. Took this route to avoid the mining trucks (yes, mining has resumed in Goa, may less than before but those trucks will block you)

From Goa (10th April):
Started at 6.30AM from Quepem and reached Marathahalli at 6.30PM with three breaks of 45min each. Took the same route.

Coming to the amount of toll:

Rs. 949/- : including the Goa entry fee of Rs. 250/- and Nice road Rs. 155/-

Return Toll
Rs. 699/- : including Nice road Rs. 155/-

Quite a lot.

Thanks to all BHPians for recommending this route.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 13th April 2016 at 11:29.
Old 21st April 2016, 11:14   #3464
BHPian

Hi,

Are there any tolls between Hubli and Anmod, if we go via Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod route? What about the stoppage near the railway crossings, is the waiting time too long?
Old 21st April 2016, 11:38   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
Hi,

Are there any tolls between Hubli and Anmod, if we go via Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod route? What about the stoppage near the railway crossings, is the waiting time too long?
Yes, there is a toll fee of 55/- for using NH4-A . There are total of 4 railway crossings which you will encounter if you take Dharwad - Mollem route. There are high probabilities of one getting stuck in one of the crossings and the stoppage time can be around 10-15 mins if you are unlucky
vin_b is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks