Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2019, 16:03   #4366
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Most of the earlier postings sugggestes avoiding it. So just struck to the Sirsi route.
Old 17th April 2019, 17:06   #4367
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
the Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapura route that Google Maps still recommends?
Road is narrow and now even narrower at some places due to road work, not much facilities en route too.
Avoid late evening/night travel on this route.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 19:23   #4368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
thanks for the update. You did the distance in good time. Any reason why you avoided - both ways - the Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapura route that Google Maps still recommends? I'm driving out in a couple of weeks to South Goa. So any advice is appreciated.
Bankapura or Sirsi, both routes have similar distances to reach your destination. According to google Sirsi route is 3kms longer than Bankapura i.e. if you go via Mirjan and it is 8kms longer if you go towards Kumta and then towards Goa. Bankapura road is isolated and deserted and of course extremely narrow.

I would take Sirsi route if I were you for peace of mind and with family
Old 18th April 2019, 11:29   #4369
BHPian

Hi people, For north Goa, Khanapur road is better or Chorla ghat.?
Old 18th April 2019, 12:30   #4370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Hi people, For north Goa, Khanapur road is better or Chorla ghat.?
Khanapur road is avoiding Belgaum city and connecting to Chorla ghats at Jamboti.

For north goa chorla ghats is ideal. It has some scenic views to offer if done in daylight.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 13:38   #4371
Distinguished - BHPian

Just back from a quick trip to Sanquelim. In summary - Chorala for North Goa and Ankola - Karwar for South Goa are best routes for now. Since anmod is closed for construction works, don't go by Gmaps - and beware of a lot of bus and truck traffic on already narrow chorala roads.

Now the fun part - I was in Dandeli for weekend and going to Sanquelim on Monday. Took the road through catslerock instead of Londha. Simply followed the G maps and did not bother to check or inquire current conditions of roads with anyone nor this thread. Ended up teaching anmod right in the middle of construction work! This is absolutely to avoid. I had to take route back to Khanapur via bhimgad sanctuary. Except the anmod part of construction, the route was super scenic and amazing obviously. I had time at hand and was in no rush so still pushed through a small red line warning of gmaps. I was driving my xuv and that was a great confidence to drive through under construction road when I reached 3 KM's before anmod all the way until I exited the circle towards bhimgad.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 21:33   #4372
BHPian

Devanagere to Cavelossim route suggestion

Hello friends,

I just checked in at Devanagere and tomorrow morning I have to start and reach Goa possibly before 2 pm. I will be driving my BMW 3 Series.. so essentially driving a low slung car.

I went through the posts and couldn’t judge which route should I take.. I saw three options in general.

Option 1: Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur.. mostly all of you have suggested not to take this one. So I will not take this route esp with a low slung car

Option 2: Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Ankola.. is this good? What is the exact route I must take for this option.

Option 3: Hubli- Dharwad- Chorla-??? Again not sure about this route as well. Any suggestions will greatly help me.

I don’t mind longer stretches but can not afford to damage my car because of narrow sections, very steep shoulders or completely pothole ridden roads.

Am with my family. So can you please suggest me a route that is quite peaceful even though longer.

On my way back, I will drive to Pune from Cavelossim.. so any suggestions there is also welcome.

Regards
Sathya
Old 19th April 2019, 07:54   #4373
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Devanagere to Cavelossim route suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Option 1: Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur.. mostly all of you have suggested not to take this one. So I will not take this route esp with a low slung car

Option 2: Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Ankola.. is this good? What is the exact route I must take for this option.

Option 3: Hubli- Dharwad- Chorla-??? Again not sure about this route as well. Any suggestions will greatly help me.
Not sure if this is too late for you since you may have already started...
#1 is narrow, #2 or #3 should be better. However, route #2 has some bad patches but I think it's manageable if you drive slowly and carefully.

Route #3 is now the preferred route for North Goa. Where in Goa are you heading to ?

If you're heading to South Goa, consider Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa

Last edited by NPV : 19th April 2019 at 07:57.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 07:57   #4374
BHPian

Quote:
I just checked in at Devanagere and tomorrow morning I have to start and reach Goa possibly before 2 pm. I will be driving my BMW 3 Series.. so essentially driving a low slung car.
I went through the posts and couldn’t judge which route should I take.. I saw three options in general.
Hi Sathya, assuming that you are traveling to South Goa (you've mentioned Cavelossim but I'm not sure if you are staying there), for absolute peace of mind, I will suggest option 2. In my opinion, the Bankapur-Yellapur section is not meant for cars with low GC. Haveri-Ankola stretch is wider, safer (with more human and vehicle footprint) with the ghat section that is absolutely beautiful. You should not have any problems for your 3 series.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd April 2019 at 11:08. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Porschefire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 23:04   #4375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not sure if this is too late for you since you may have already started...
#1 is narrow, #2 or #3 should be better.
Thanks.
I took route 2 and it was quite peaceful. I am staying at Novotel Dona Sylvia. I didn’t have issues with my msport anywhere. Now have to figure out how to drive to PUNE. Am thinking chorla ghats - Belgaum and further north..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hi Sathya, assuming that you are traveling to South Goa (you've mentioned Cavelossim but I'm not sure if you are staying there), for absolute peace of mind, I will suggest option 2. In my opinion, the Bankapur-Yellapur section is not meant for cars with low GC. Haveri-Ankola stretch is wider, safer (with more human and vehicle footprint) with the ghat section that is absolutely beautiful. You should not have any problems for your 3 series.
Thanks and Yes you are right. Roads are reasonably wider and the drive was quite peaceful I must say. It took 6hrs to drive which was a bit high in my opinion for 350kms. But nevertheless, all good so far.

Any suggestion on route to Pune?

Regards
Sathya
Old 20th April 2019, 00:12   #4376
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now have to figure out how to drive to PUNE. Am thinking chorla ghats - Belgaum and further north.
Not an expert on that route, never been on chorla myself, but I think it's a good route to get to Belgaum and then it's simple to reach Pune from there. You'd probably be better off this way than trying the old Goa-Bombay highway.

Last edited by NPV : 20th April 2019 at 00:15.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:24   #4377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not an expert on that route, never been on chorla myself, but I think it's a good route to get to Belgaum and then it's simple to reach Pune from there.
Chorla is good. But good to time an an early exit. Else traffic from south to north Goa can be real bad, with all the construction on going.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:52   #4378
BHPian

Quick Update: Took the Chorla Route from Goa to Bangalore yesterday. The Chorla ghat section roads are in very good condition, except for a couple of small sections before Khanapura. There is a lot of construction work on the Hubali - Bangalore highway so a lot of detours onto service roads for the first 200 odd kms of that stretch.
Old 23rd April 2019, 16:58   #4379
Senior - BHPian

Visiting Goa on 10th of May and have planned to take the Haveri-Sirsi route after reading through all the posts below. Bit curious on taking other possible options too.

1. Goa-Ankola-Hubli-Bangalore (Ruled out due to heavy roadwork near Kalghatgi and distance)
2. Goa-Chorla-Belgaum-Bangalore (Ruled out since visiting south Goa and hence the distance)
3. Goa-Kumta-Sirsi-Haveri-Bangalore (Have planned to take this time)
4. Goa-Ankola-Mundgod-Bankapur-Bangalore (Dropped after many negative replies)
5. Goa-Honnavar-Sagar-Shimoga-Tumkur-Bangalore (Not worth trying due to road condition and time it takes, this was taken by me regularly a decade ago)
6. Goa-Anmod-Dharwad-Bangalore (Ruled out due to widening work)

Any other option that is a possibility here?

Last edited by rajivtelang : 23rd April 2019 at 17:01.
Old 26th April 2019, 13:23   #4380
BHPian

Driving to Holiday Inn (South Goa) on 28th-April, and plan to do a stop-over at Hubli as I have a 5-year old in tow. The ride would be on my Ecosport. Since many of them suggested option #2 (Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta), but this might not work if I am staying over at Hubli. Please suggest if Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar should be strictly avoided ? or any other suggestions for a overnight stay enroute other than Hubli ?

Last edited by aquarian1502 : 26th April 2019 at 13:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks