Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 09:48   #181

Re: Chennai - Trichy : Route Queries

Planning to travel to Madurai next week. Will leave Chennai early around 5 AM. How is the Chennai Tiruchy Highway? Any good place on the HWY at Tiruchy for food? TIA.
Old 25th January 2023, 10:55   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSridhar View Post
Planning to travel to Madurai next week. Will leave Chennai early around 5 AM. How is the Chennai Tiruchy Highway? Any good place on the HWY at Tiruchy for food? TIA.
The road is good and you can maintain good highway speed. You can plan to have food at Asvin’s veg restaurant located between Perambalur and Siruvachur just before you hit Trichy.

Aswins Veg Restaurant
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BQFqGrk6UrXoMENw8?g_st=ic
CArspeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 18:12   #183
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone mention the condition of roads in this route, especially between Tambaram and Chengalpet? Any dug up roads due to widening work? I haven't gone beyond Tambaram since August.
Old 5th February 2023, 18:45   #184
BHPian

Except for some patched roads nothing really to bother much
CArspeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 09:14   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can anyone mention the condition of roads in this route, especially between Tambaram and Chengalpet? Any dug up roads due to widening work? I haven't gone beyond Tambaram since August.
Many sections have got fresh coat of tar and extended to atleast 6 section till MM Nagar. Beyond that its done in bits and pieces only.

Beyond Chengalpattu, 3 diversions: south end of Villupuram, Veppur town, 3 km after Aswin's. First one is a mess if you travel in peak time.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 08:21   #186

I just completed the Chennai-Madurai-Chennai trip. Overall NH45/NH38 are in good shape, except in some small stretches especially approaching Chennai and approaching Tiruchi from Madurai. The stretch from Vridhachalam to Madurai is really superb. There are a lot of diversions, almost a dozen of them, all along the route as fly-overs are being constructed, but the diversion service roads are in very good shape. Appreciate the NH contractors for doing a good job with these service roads. I expect that six months down the road (pun intended), the stretch from Chennai to Madurai would be even breezier. We left Chennai at 5:45 AM, reached Aswin’s at 9:15, in spite of a heavy fog for about 40 Kms between Paranur & Athur toll plazas, which limited visibility to around 20 metres in most places. With heavy truck traffic, especially carrying oversized industrial items, I was slowed down.

Thanks for previous suggestions of Aswin (just after Perambalur in Chennai-Tiruchi direction) for breakfast. It is very convenient being just on the main road, you can’t miss it, food was great, there is ample parking space and service is courteous. They need to improve rest room cleanliness, though. Left Aswin’s at 10 and reached Marriott Madurai at 1 PM in spite of heavy traffic in Srirangam/Trichy areas on NH38.

It is the approaches to Chennai that have poor roads. Palar bridge has potholes. Road widening is going on in patches from Perungalathur to Singaperumal Kovil. We left Madurai at 8 AM and reached our home in Chennai 2:15 PM including two bio-breaks, a distance of 443 Kms. The Indian Oil gas stations had excellent rest rooms.

[FONT=&quot]We also travelled on NH87 (Kochi-Rameswaram) from Madurai towards Rameswaram. This was also a superb road and a dual carriageway up to Paramakudi, then it becomes single carriageway.

Thanks to everyone here who responded to my query earlier.
[/FONT]
Old 11th February 2023, 09:42   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSridhar View Post
The stretch from Vridhachalam to Madurai is really superb. There are a lot of diversions, almost a dozen of them, all along the route as fly-overs are being constructed, but the diversion service roads are in very good shape.
[/FONT]
The mention of Vridachalam might require correction as Vridhachalam is not en route to Madurai from Chennai. It is a good 20+ kms inside the NH 45.
Old 11th February 2023, 10:40   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
The mention of Vridachalam might require correction as Vridhachalam is not en route to Madurai from Chennai. It is a good 20+ kms inside the NH 45.
That's correct. When I said Vridhachalam, I meant the exit for Vridhachalam from NH45.
Old 12th February 2023, 06:54   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Many sections have got fresh coat of tar and extended to atleast 6 section till MM Nagar. Beyond that its done in bits and pieces only.

Beyond Chengalpattu, 3 diversions: south end of Villupuram, Veppur town, 3 km after Aswin's. First one is a mess if you travel in peak time.
The Kootteripattu Jn also now has a diversion along with the southern end of Villupuram bypass. Last evening it took me nearly 10 minutes to cross this Jn. Sundays could be worse
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 20:27   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The Kootteripattu Jn also now has a diversion along with the southern end of Villupuram bypass. Last evening it took me nearly 10 minutes to cross this Jn. Sundays could be worse
Next few months Kootteripattu junction is going to be bad during weekends and festivals. https://twitter.com/arulmuru182002/s...M5Ye2WrQw&s=19
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 08:03   #191
BHPian

Any recent travel experiences in Chennai-Madurai route? I have a trip planned soon and wanted to check for traffic, diversions/road conditions.
Old 16th May 2023, 08:49   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Any recent travel experiences in Chennai-Madurai route? I have a trip planned soon and wanted to check for traffic, diversions/road conditions.
I took this route two weeks back and it was good except for few diversions due to flyover construction. If its a weekend then better to start early from Chennai.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 16:56   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a couple of diversions, but nothing to worry about, except on weekends when the traffic overall is very high and will increase your journey time roughly by 20% due to delays at almost all the tolls between Chennai & Villupuram
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 11:01   #194

Quote:
I agree with the rest of the replies. Mine was in the first week of April. I took NH48/NH38 to Madurai and back. Except for a few diversions, the road was excellent. Even the diversions were well paved. Some of these might even have been completed by now. Week day traffic is breeze except around Chennai or Trichy. If you are returning to Chennai, please do so before 4 PM to avoid traffic.
SSridhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 17:19   #195
RGK
Senior - BHPian

The NH 38 (Chennai - Dindugal - Trichy) has few diversions for bridge construction, one at Kooteripattu near Tindivanam and also there are two diversions near Siruvachur & Thirupattur (both getting finished). But, there are many barricades along the roads in particular after Ulundurpet.

So drive with utmost caution. Really didn't understand why those barricades popped up.

Avoid coming back to Chennai on Sunday afternoons, as traffic is heavy every weekend.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks