Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 13:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

If you start around 4.30 you can comfortably reach Trichy for breakfast around 9 AM. With a 10 minute break I took about four hours and 30 minutes a month back. In case you are starting around 5 AM, Tindivanam might be too early, possibly you could stretch to Ulundurpet and have at the BPCL Dhabha just before Ulundurpet. Should not take you more than two and a half hours to reach there.
Old 11th May 2010, 14:00   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Planning to do a Chennai-Trichy-Chennai trip this Thursday. Good to hear that the roads were good in January. Are they still good?

What time should I leave Chennai in the morning? I was thinking 5 AM so that we can avoid the Chennai traffic completely. Is that enough? Where should we have breakfast? Tindivanam?

Also, we plan to leave Trichy around 4 PM. Assuming the travel takes around 5 hours, we should reach Chennai outskirts latest by 10 PM which is good enough I guess.
I made a Chennai - Trichy - Chennai trip some days back. Here's some points,
  1. Chennai-Adyar to Trichy-Central Bus Stand is about 360 Kms. Can do this in about 4 hours provided there's no traffic jam.
  2. The roads are indeed excellent.
  3. Watch out for STUPID speed breakers near the Toll Plazas. Asking some passengers to get out (Only at the Toll ) might help.
  4. One Way Toll Fare is Rs.160. I think there are some 4/5.
  5. Watch out for morons driving on the wrong side along the median.
Old 11th May 2010, 14:16   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
If you start around 4.30 you can comfortably reach Trichy for breakfast around 9 AM. With a 10 minute break I took about four hours and 30 minutes a month back. In case you are starting around 5 AM, Tindivanam might be too early, possibly you could stretch to Ulundurpet and have at the BPCL Dhabha just before Ulundurpet. Should not take you more than two and a half hours to reach there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I made a Chennai - Trichy - Chennai trip some days back. Here's some points,
  1. Chennai-Adyar to Trichy-Central Bus Stand is about 360 Kms. Can do this in about 4 hours provided there's no traffic jam.
  2. The roads are indeed excellent.
  3. Watch out for STUPID speed breakers near the Toll Plazas. Asking some passengers to get out (Only at the Toll ) might help.
  4. One Way Toll Fare is Rs.160. I think there are some 4/5.
  5. Watch out for morons driving on the wrong side along the median.
Thanks for the advice guys. Will plan to leave at 4 30 AM. Any scenic spots en-route?

Looking at Google maps, there seem to be a few lakes and a river.

Kolavai lake, Chengalpattu
Madhurantakam lake, Madhurantakam
Vedur dam, before Villupuram
2 rivers near Chengalpattu and Trichy

Are any of these worth a look and a photo?
Old 11th May 2010, 15:37   #49
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Heard Madurantakam lake to be good. Kollidam and cauvery are impressive. Not sure whether you can stop to take photos though.
Here's a break of toll from trichy to chennai (in that order).
Thirumandurai 35
Ulundurpet 51
Sengurichi 35
Athur 20
Paranur 20

Especially in the night, be very wary of morons on wrong side. Some times I used to get confused as to which side of the median they actually are, while traversing a curve! Then they are bang in front of you.
I did trichy chennai in 4.5 hours with a long break near Ulundurpet.
Old 11th May 2010, 17:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

And if you live anywhere close to Porur , I would definitely advise you take the route via the Tambaram bypass bridge . If you take the bridge Tambaram is just 15-20 minutes away from Porur.
Very economical.
Old 11th May 2010, 17:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
If you start around 4.30 you can comfortably reach Trichy for breakfast around 9 AM.
This is my timing during my trip this January. I started at 4:25 am from Chennai to avoid traffic and stopped for breakfast at 9 am in Trichy. (I had to do another 280 kms to reach my final destination, Tuticorin)

Trichy bye-pass was not over then and there were huge pot-holes and traffic-jams during Trichy-crossing. Hope they have finished them now. I might plan a drive this June again.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Here's a break of toll from trichy to chennai
Thanks. Toll charges look high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
And if you live anywhere close to Porur , I would definitely advise you take the route via the Tambaram bypass bridge . If you take the bridge Tambaram is just 15-20 minutes away from Porur.
Very economical.
I stay in the ECR and plan to take Shollinganallur - Tambaram - Guduvanchery - Chengalpattu etc.. Is there a better route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I started at 4:25 am from Chennai to avoid traffic and stopped for breakfast at 9 am in Trichy.
We always plan to leave early but somehow things get delayed.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:55   #53
BHPian

Proxima, I just came back from a 2 day road trip to Kanyakumari. The roads are really neat. the trichy bye pass is complete and teh detour is no longer needed.

Shollinganallur - Tambaram - Guduvanchery is the fastest route. There is another one shollinganallur - Kelambakkam - Vandalur - Guduvanchery, I am not sure about the road condition between Kelambakkam and vandalur (SH 121).

I planned to start at 4:00AM but I was able to get going only at 5:10AM . I reached Trichy outskirts (viralimalai road) by 9:30AM. So I would say if you start early you can have breakfast in Trichy town itself, dont try the road side shops. If it becomes a necessity then stop at shops where the truckers stop. the truckers are usuals in that route and they know the right place to eat. Watchout for Morons driving on the wrong side of the road and be prepared for the HEAT. Try to have a planned break for tender coconuts. Drive safe buddy.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:51   #54
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Try to have a planned break for tender coconuts. Drive safe buddy.
Yeah. Tender coconuts. That's what made me stop at Ulundurpet. You can avoid a stop if you carry tender coconuts in your car boot. Nowadays I regularly do it.
Old 12th May 2010, 21:00   #55
BHPian

Trichy bye-pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
...the trichy bye pass is complete and teh detour is no longer needed...
Very happy to hear this, now I can do Tuticorin -> Chennai stress free, however the Tuticorin -> Madurai 4-lane (via Arrupukottai) is taking very long to get over.
Old 12th May 2010, 21:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Very happy to hear this, now I can do Tuticorin -> Chennai stress free, however the Tuticorin -> Madurai 4-lane (via Arrupukottai) is taking very long to get over.

Ha ha ha. I can understand your frustration in the Trichy byepass. I had taken the detour via Pon malai twice. the roads on the detour was really frustrating.

Regarding the madurai - Tuticorin byepass is in progress and most of the ways are two lane. Some times its fun, because you need to be extra careful while trying to overtake and it keeps you on the edge. I always miss that part of the drive now a dsays, thanks to the 4 lane highway. Again it may be frustrating if you get caught in heavy traffic. With the progress they are making, this should be over by another 6 months to 1 year.

Manim - On the other hand, I also noticed that they have completed the Shankar nagar - Thirunelveli byepass. This road literally byepass the entire thirunelveli strtch and takes you near the KTC nagar side. Its was a surprise as I didnt expect it to take me out of thirunelveli. tyhere were absolutely no signs boards indicating any place or distance. Even my Nokia maps was not able to help me locate a petrol bunk as it was not sure where I was . I was waiting to fill my tank as I was literally running on fumes .
Old 12th May 2010, 21:35   #57
BHPian

Thanks guys. Will update after my trip.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

@ElantraGT
The Kelambakkam - Vandalur stretch is good.

@Proxima
Eagerly awaiting your update.

Can anyone recommend a good fuel station in the Chennai - Trichy sector, and at Trichy as well?
Old 27th May 2010, 14:53   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@ElantraGT
The Kelambakkam - Vandalur stretch is good.

@Proxima
Eagerly awaiting your update.

Can anyone recommend a good fuel station in the Chennai - Trichy sector, and at Trichy as well?
Hi,
In trichy there is TVS bunk-TVS Tolgate.
Indian oil bunk near RC high school(opp dina thanthi office).
Club HP near Kohinoor theatre(just before you take the karur bye pass).

tnx
Old 27th May 2010, 15:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi,
In trichy there is TVS bunk-TVS Tolgate.
Indian oil bunk near RC high school(opp dina thanthi office).
Club HP near Kohinoor theatre(just before you take the karur bye pass).

tnx
Filled here two times and both times had issues with the quantity. I would not recommend it. They repeatedly filled 63 liters in the Safari even when I had close to 10 liters remaining!!!

But I would add another bunk to the list, Yashoda bunk, the one just after the KPN Parcel office; besides Sangeetha hotel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks