Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 20:03   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Trichy : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
@CSENTIL: There's a hotel on left side, opposite to Perambalur bus stand. I forgot the name, but a sweet stall is adjacent to it. You can easily identify this hotel. Mostly all cars going through Perambalur will have a stop there. It has a A/C dining also. I will have my dinner there every time I go to Namakkal from Chennai. Southindian food is really good.

Cheers
Dinesh
Hey thanks folks.

How is the road from Perambalur to Namakkal via Thoraiyur? How long would it take? Its around 90kms+ right.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:34   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
How is the road from Perambalur to Namakkal via Thoraiyur? How long would it take? Its around 90kms+ right.
Perambalur-Thuraiyur is a decent 2-lane (don't know present day conditions). Namakkal-Thuraiyur is decent too, you can find about that stretch from Bangalore-Trichy thread.
~~~~~
A2B is a neat place for food, only gripe is their service is a bit slow. Perambalur is at 267km milestone, A2B is ~ 195km milestone. Once you are on NH45, it shouldn't take you more than 45 min for you. Slow a bit after the Ulundurpet toll, its easy to spot the place.
~~~~
Alternatively, you can take SH-95 to Rasipuram continue onto Attur and take the NH68 from there. Advantage is you get more 4-laners to deal with and most road has been completed on Ulundurpet-Attur section. Check this thread (last page).

Last edited by narayans80 : 6th March 2012 at 11:49. Reason: suggesting NH68
Old 4th September 2013, 17:14   #108
BHPian

Chennai - Trichy - Thekkady - Chirai - Chennai

Hi all, I plan to go down to Kerala for vacation with family and here is what the Google Map is suggesting; http://goo.gl/maps/kTn6Z

Is this route good enough or have any other alternatives?

Also - I need hotel suggestions in Trichy City. Any suggestions?
Old 4th September 2013, 18:55   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Also - I need hotel suggestions in Trichy City. Any suggestions?
- Chennai-Thekaddy is just fine. You should not break for food within Trichy.Best are the highways. A2B at Ulundurpet is good.

- You can break for lunch at Theni. Hotel Meenakshi or Western Gatz (A proper business hotel within town).

On your return you should NOT do Trichur-Palakkad.

Instead : Trichur-Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi (Be careful not get into Tiruppur)-Salem-Ulundurpet-Chennai
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 20:08   #110
BHPian

Thanks ampere!

I should have mentioned bit more clearer on the hotel part in Trichy. I meant to break for that night in Trichy and see ucchi pillayar kovil, srirangam, etc., that evening or next morning before proceeding towards Thekkady. Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Chennai-Thekaddy is just fine. You should not break for food within Trichy.Best are the highways. A2B at Ulundurpet is good.

- You can break for lunch at Theni. Hotel Meenakshi or Western Gatz (A proper business hotel within town).

On your return you should NOT do Trichur-Palakkad.

Instead : Trichur-Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi (Be careful not get into Tiruppur)-Salem-Ulundurpet-Chennai
Old 4th September 2013, 20:37   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Thanks ampere!

I should have mentioned bit more clearer on the hotel part in Trichy. I meant to break for that night in Trichy and see ucchi pillayar kovil, srirangam, etc., that evening or next morning before proceeding towards Thekkady. Any recommendations?
A couple of them :

- SRM Royal Southern is a good place. I stayed there some time back. It was good then. I was very impressed. Dont know how things have changed over time though.
- Another place I am aware of is Sangam.

Last edited by ampere : 4th September 2013 at 20:39.
Old 5th September 2013, 11:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hotel PLA Residency, Ramyas & Femina all of these would be decent. All of these are around Central Bus stand. If you want slightly further away near the Byepass you could try Gardenia which is on the Chennai - Madurai Byepass.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:25   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
@Amp you are right about Hotel Saravana Bhavan (HSB). But the one in Salem is a different group than the one in Krishnagiri. However, this Saravana Bhavan just after the Chennai turn-off on the left belongs to a group that has one here, one in Sankari and one in L&T bye-pass of Coimbatore. IIRC, the owners hail from Pollachi and they own one there as well. It is also an extremely well maintained restaurant with good food. Parking- they have some huge open space in front, but not as good as the Kamat or HP Park.
Moved our discussion here.

Basically still surprised that HSB has not penetrated to may tier-II TN cities (Trichy/Madurai/Salem/Coimbattore etc). Any reasons?
Old 31st January 2014, 21:29   #114
BHPian

Quote:

Basically still surprised that HSB has not penetrated to may tier-II TN cities (Trichy/Madurai/Salem/Coimbattore etc). Any reasons?
Based on my limited knowledge, I'm speculating this: When HSB started going on an expansion track, they were brought down by Annachi's arrest, which again is speculated to be a political clout.

However, their overseas expansion was pretty good, mainly because they operate on a franchisee model. Internally, they prefer to own their restaurants. Maybe if they decide to franchise, the growth could be fast.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 06:32   #115
Senior - BHPian

HSB is an active partner even under franchisee model in order to ensure the overall quality / service levels etc are maintained even by restaurants operated by the franchisee. This is the reason they have not opted for major expansion across the Tier 2 / 3 cities of Tamil Nadu.

Also another reason could be is the presence of strong local flavour in most of these cities. Coimbatore has the Annapoorna / Gowrishankar chain which is very strong, while in Madurai the local restaurants serve possibly the best South Indian dishes be it veg or non veg. and it would be quite difficult for any outside brand to break into this.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2014, 11:30   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post

Also another reason could be is the presence of strong local flavour in most of these cities. Coimbatore has the Annapoorna / Gowrishankar chain which is very strong, while in Madurai the local restaurants serve possibly the best South Indian dishes be it veg or non veg. and it would be quite difficult for any outside brand to break into this.
But that didn't stop Adyar Anandha Bhavan from expanding into these cities. And they are very successful at that too!
Old 1st February 2014, 12:05   #117
Senior - BHPian

I don't think A2B has made a dent in places like Madurai and Coimbatore, they have expanded nevertheless.
Old 14th March 2016, 17:35   #118
BHPian

Quote:

Friends,

I have to go to Thirukoillur, near Villupuram, on Mar 19th.

Google shows the following two routes: -

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Av...!1m0!3e0?hl=en
and
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Av...!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Which one will you recommend, based on recent knowledge?
Old 14th March 2016, 20:04   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Friends,

I have to go to Thirukoillur, near Villupuram, on Mar 19th.
I dont have an idea on this. Lets check with others. Thiruvannamala-Villupuram is a bigger highway for sure.
Old 14th March 2016, 20:13   #120
BHPian

Quote:
I dont have an idea on this. Lets check with others. Thiruvannamala-Villupuram is a bigger highway for sure.
You mean the route via Kandachipuram is better, at least till there.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks