Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 11:36   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
More rains are headed towards the Balasore-Kharagpur side within a week. Does not look like they will be ready with a temporary bridge by 1st week of July, situation is very bad now at those places . May be you can try out the Balasore - Digha route to again meet at Nh6.

Also Kalimpong is under 24 hour indefinite strike. No vehicles are allowed to enter beyond Coronation/Sevoke bridge.
Thanks adc for the timely update. Maybe I'll follow your advice and take Balasore - Digha and then onward to Kolkata. Can anyone update on whether any other route would be convenient if there are obstructions on the GQ from Balasore to Kolkata. I'm undertaking the journey on 5th Jul 2008.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

I presume that by Balasore-Digha route, you mean turn off GQ at Jaleshwar towards Digha. I remember tthe Jaleshwar-Digha road to be one of the worst (at that time) - is it good now?
Old 25th June 2008, 12:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it a better idea to continue on NH5 from Balasore via Baripada insead of going via Jaleshwar and Dantan to Kharagpur?
Old 25th June 2008, 13:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Isn't it a better idea to continue on NH5 from Balasore via Baripada insead of going via Jaleshwar and Dantan to Kharagpur?
Whatever you say because I don't have any inkling on the road to be followed there. This is my first road trip towards that part of the country.

Quote:
ORISSA

NH60 (Balasore-Kharagpur, part of GQ bettween Chennai and Kolkata) is closed down because of serious flooding in and around Balasore and Dantan.
Also do you have any update on the stretch which was closed down? Maybe if it's up and running, I wouldn't have to take any detours from Balasore to Kolkata. Couldn't find anything in the newspapers as well on the net.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is a breakage in a major bridge after Balasore. I don't think the situation has improved, judging from newspaper reports. In the circumstances, I think it best to continue on NH5 to Kharapur via Baripada.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:32   #21
BHPian

That is some detailed information! If I had no work and only worked on gathering your kind of information, I still would not have managed.

This thread should become a highway condition updates thread- not just monsoons, but also new developments.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:52   #22
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_dog_lover View Post
Thanks adc for the timely update. Maybe I'll follow your advice and take Balasore - Digha and then onward to Kolkata. Can anyone update on whether any other route would be convenient if there are obstructions on the GQ from Balasore to Kolkata. I'm undertaking the journey on 5th Jul 2008.
Quote:
I presume that by Balasore-Digha route, you mean turn off GQ at Jaleshwar towards Digha. I remember tthe Jaleshwar-Digha road to be one of the worst (at that time) - is it good now?
Quote:

Situation is very fluid now but no rains for the last 7 days is good news. Previously even the Baripada route was blocked as per news report as people were camping on that road and the route open was the angul-keonjhar-kharaghur road.

With no rains for sometime now, it is better but looks like the NH60 is not going to open by 5th July.

Quote:
The road communication between north Balasore and West Bengal were snapped due to two breaches stretching 40 feet on NH-60.

Another patch of road near Nidhi Panda bridge which had suffered damages during last year floods continued to be in precarious state.
The Digha route is always in bad condition and the Baripada route as per news report is now also bad but on that frequent blockades are taking place due to protest by villagers regarding lax in relief.

Andy, you are coming at a very precarious time and everyday the situation changes, however, looks like the straight road of NH60 will not open by your 5th july date.

So would suggest, stop at Choudar [just beyond Cuttack town from where the NH42 starts] to talk to the bus or truck drivers to enquire for the latest update and proceed likewise.

If till Balasore is okay, proceed till Balasore and again ask for the best way forward, whether Balasore-Baripada-Kharaghpur-Kolkata or Balasore-Digha-Haldia junction-Kolkata.

Again if you are eventually going to Kalimpong, the indefinite strike starts again on 5th July.

Too many uncertainties are there in this trip and be prepared to make last minute changes and take diversions. Do you have to make this trip now? because Kalimpong will remain closed if there is indefinite strike.

For info on the net, one source is the

The Statesman

and click on the "Orissa Plus" section
Old 25th June 2008, 15:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Andy, you are coming at a very precarious time and everyday the situation changes, however, looks like the straight road of NH60 will not open by your 5th july date.

Again if you are eventually going to Kalimpong, the indefinite strike starts again on 5th July.

Too many uncertainties are there in this trip and be prepared to make last minute changes and take diversions. Do you have to make this trip now? because Kalimpong will remain closed if there is indefinite strike.
Thanks a ton adc for the concern and timely advice. But as I have already spelt out my predicament in the forum at my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...arjeeling.html , I think I cannot possibly change the plans now. I have to make this trip on 5th July. I think it's going to be a tough time for me. But what has to be done has to be done. I'll follow your advice though of enquiring at Choudar and Balasore. Thanks again.
Old 25th June 2008, 15:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a breakage in a major bridge after Balasore. I don't think the situation has improved, judging from newspaper reports. In the circumstances, I think it best to continue on NH5 to Kharapur via Baripada.
Yes, One of the member Sanjay went to Kolkata to keep his Ford Ikon Flair @ Home before flying off to UK for a long term assignment. He called me up yesterday and told that flood condition was really bad but he managed to get into Kgp from NH5. GQ at those sections were waterlogged and more so GQ was sheltering villagers as well. Other than that his drive till Puri was fine. All the deviations were in Kgp - Balasore stretch.

He also updated that the Ichchapuram - Sunakhala stretch is much the same what I had written in my travelogue in 2006. No improvement at all. I really wonder when will Ichchapuram - ganjam section get 4 laned.

Abhi
Old 26th June 2008, 18:41   #25
BANNED

Saw this on google news.
Quote:
Jun 25, 2008 Udhagamandalam (PTI): Traffic was totally stopped on the Gudalur-Kerala National Highway on wednesday, following landslides at three places, due to heavy rains for the last couple of days.
The link:-

The Hindu News Update Service

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 26th June 2008 at 18:42. Reason: Removed formating tags
Old 26th June 2008, 20:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Saw this on google news.
The link:-

The Hindu News Update Service
Happily, traffic on this road has been restored yeserday. One of my freinds drove on that road from Bangalore to Nilambur.
Old 28th June 2008, 10:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

NH1 - Ludhiana

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Ludhiana Stories

Ludhiana, June 27

Heavy and constant downpour for five hours in the morning deluged the city, damaged roads and vehicles, uprooted trees and completely disarrayed the normal life.

A part of the GT road washed away near Ghanta Ghar chowk in front of Kartar Lok building. A patch of 10x15 feet was washed away near the staircase of basement of building.

It raised concerns over the safety of the elevated road constructed with hundreds of crores of rupees. The damaged road was just 10-12 feet away from a pillar of elevated road. The rain stopped at 10 a.m. and further damage was controlled.
The MC started repairing the road within a few hours. XEN Parmod Chadda was handling the repair. He said fears of shopkeepers were unfounded. There was no threat to the elevated road. The road washed away due to a fault in the basement of building that was constructed right next to the road, he said.

A tree was uprooted in mini secretariat complex in front of the DTO office after the rain stopped. The tree fell on a parked car when there was nobody in it. The tree was removed and road cleared within a few minutes.

Due to flooding of main roads like old GT road, Rani Jhansi road and Damoria Bridge road, many vehicles broke down in the middle and massive traffic jams were experienced. It took more than two hours for the roads to get cleared and traffic cops preferred to stay away from the scene.

Some houses with low-plinth level were also flooded and residents had a difficult time in manually draining the water.

Many residents had to wade through knee-deep water at several places as it took quite some time for water to drain out.

All low-lying areas were inundated. Water entered in several houses and residents had to drain it manually. Sub-registrar's office on Ferozepore road was waterlogged. So was the basement of deputy commissioner's office.

Seepage witnessed in several buildings and residents had to brave the rain to carry out emergency repairs. Roads in Haibowal were submerged. There was knee-deep water on old GT road, Mata Rani Chowk, Damoria bridge and low-lying areas. The road in front of DC's office was also inundated.
Many vehicles broke down under the Damoria bridge and Samrala chowk. The residents were delayed in reaching their destinations. Many children could not attend their schools.
Old 28th June 2008, 13:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow, HVK! How do you get hold of these updates?
Would be very interesting to know the sources - telephone calls, www sites, emails, transcendental meditation, yoga, or what?
Old 28th June 2008, 22:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So would suggest, stop at Choudar [just beyond Cuttack town from where the NH42 starts] to talk to the bus or truck drivers to enquire for the latest update and proceed likewise
The correct name is Chowdwar. It is right across the Mahanadi river, and Cuttack is on the other side. You will need to branch off left at the first circle that comes after crossing the Mahanadi bridge to go to Chowdwar. You could make inquires at that junction itself, instead of going to Chowdwar.
Old 28th June 2008, 22:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Wow, HVK! How do you get hold of these updates?
Would be very interesting to know the sources - telephone calls, www sites, emails, transcendental meditation, yoga, or what?
No rocket science - scan a few important regional papers, plus get updates from friends on the road. For papers, Tribune gives you great news of Punjab, Haryana, HP and JK. Statesman good for East India. There are papers like Assam Chronicle for NE news, and rest of India is covered very well in most papers, but I also refer regional newspapers (e.g. Malayala Manoram, New Indian Express, Chattisgarh News (?) etc).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks