Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2008, 19:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

I have travelled from Bangalore to Ankola. Update about road condition:

Bangalore - Tumkur = decent NH4
Tumkur Bypass to go towards Shimoga from NH4 has bad surface, not smooth at all with lot of Potholes.
Road between Tumkur - Shimoga does not qualify as National highway If you ask me because road surface for over 30% of this stretch is rough not smooth at all with few potholes here and there.
Shimoga - Ayanur - Ribbon Pet - Hosanagara - Nagara - Nagodi - Kollur = quiet good it do has bad roads here and there but considerring its State Highway I appreciate its smoothness. Only issue its single lane make very difficult to pass the on coming traffic sometimes.
Kollur - Byndoor = good road
Byndoor - Bhatkal - Kumta - Ankola = its like 50-50, lot of potholes with bad stretches in between. Road surface is not smooth at all. I suggest its better If we stop calling it National Highway, does not qualify for National Highway status.

I am greately disappointed for payaing tax year after year, I could have built excellant road to my Village in that tax amount being paid. I am thinking why cant government come up with such ideas give responsibility to maintain infrastructure to public directly by forming some organizations locally.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

Chamba-Dalhousie Region

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Himachal Pradesh Edition

Reported in Tribune newspaper:

Chamba: The entire Chamba region was lashed by heavy rain on Sunday morning, damaging the Chamba-Pathankot highway at certain points. As a result vehicular traffic was disrupted for some time. Some interior link roads in the Churah and Bharmour areas remained blocked by landslips, hitting vehicular traffic.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
He also updated that the Ichchapuram - Sunakhala stretch is much the same what I had written in my travelogue in 2006. No improvement at all. I really wonder when will Ichchapuram - ganjam section get 4 laned.

Abhi
Abhi, that stretch was bad from prehistoric days! I hail from Berhampur, and the stretch across the border between A.P. and Orissa near Ichchapuram was never good. I've travelled on that stretch from the late 60's and never found it in good condition.
However, I've not travelled on that route by road in the past 4 years, but your travelgoue reinforces my view about that road.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

NH 5: Ichchapuram-Bhubaneswar

Quick update on the road from Ichchapuram to Bhubaneshwar - road condition is very bad on NH5 - update received from Andy Dog Lover this morning.

Last edited by hvkumar : 7th July 2008 at 15:18.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:16   #50
BHPian

blr kannur- via Sultan bathery

blr- mysore - Excellent as usual
mysore - nanjangud - bad - lot of potholes
nanjangud - gundulpet - ok
gundulpet - sultan bathery - good-roads have been done up.except few kms after gundulpet.
sultan bathery-adivaram - the ghat roads have deteriorated.especially at the hair pin turns.the tarmac has been washed away.its gravel & potholes.
Nh-17 - koilandy - kannur - there are some places where one layer(topmost) has been washed away in patches.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Chamba-Dalhousie Region

Reported in Tribune newspaper:

Chamba: The entire Chamba region was lashed by heavy rain on Sunday morning, damaging the Chamba-Pathankot highway at certain points. As a result vehicular traffic was disrupted for some time. Some interior link roads in the Churah and Bharmour areas remained blocked by landslips, hitting vehicular traffic.
Chamba Pathankot section is alway hit by rains get more worst
Old 7th July 2008, 18:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

NH 5/ NH60: Balasore-Kharagpur

Thanks to the broken bridge at Balasore on NH60, traffic is being diverted on NH5 via Baripada to Kharagpur.

Latest update is from Andy Dog Lover travelling from Pune to Kalimpong.
Old 10th July 2008, 21:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

....more on Chakki Mandi, NH20

Nurpur: Vehicular traffic on the Kandwal- Bhadroya link road to Punjab remained suspended for about three hours following damage to the supporting wall of a small bridge owing to a downpour on Monday. Hundreds of vehicles remained stranded on the road causing a lot of inconvenience to the commuters and other passengers.
This link road is providing an alternative approach road to the Pathankot- Mandi national highway No 20 on which road connectivity had been snapped following the washing away of the causeway (embankment) to the temporary diversion bridge on the Chakki rivulet built by the state government in January this year. SDO Kapil Dev said the PWD would repair the damaged bridge on Tuesday. — UNI, OC
Old 10th July 2008, 21:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

http://www.assamtribune.com/jul0708/at09.html

Lakhimpur still cut off

GUWAHATI, July 6 – Twin upper Assam districts of north Lakhimpur and Dhemaji continued to remain cut off as vast areas were inundated by the second wave of floods that hit Assam. The flood waters had washed away the recently built sub-way on the breached portion of the national highway 52 near Ganesh temple cutting off the two districts from the rest of the state.

Heavy rain caused swelling of the Ranganadi which caused the breach on the highway as well as the washing away of 18 hume pipes used as a culvert for the sub-way, sources said.

Meanwhile, areas of Bagalijaan, Hatiloong, Jorhatiya, Bantow, Bomalguri, Highjaan and Ghilaguri remained totally under water forcing the residents to take shelter on the national highway.

Nearby areas of Khoga, Azad, Angerkhowa, Panigaon were also affected by the recent floods.

Last edited by hvkumar : 10th July 2008 at 21:14.
Old 11th July 2008, 06:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reported in indiahighways yahoo group:

"Was back from Coimbatore to Bangalore last month and it took us 10 hrs to cover 350 kms via the Sathy - Chamrajnagar route. This is best avoided."
Hi HVK, any idea if the entire section from Sathy to Nanjangud is bad or it is the Nanjangud - Chamarajnagar which is bad, I was planning to drive to Gundlupet via Sathy-Chamarajanagar. Thanks.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

He said the TN section is good , and the C H Nagar-Nanjangud section was very bad. I think the C H Nagar-Dimbam (TN) is OK.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He said the TN section is good , and the C H Nagar-Nanjangud section was very bad. I think the C H Nagar-Dimbam (TN) is OK.
Thanks am driving down from Chennai to Gundlupet via Mettur, Sathyamangalam, Chamarajnagar. Will update the conditions once am back.
Old 12th July 2008, 18:50   #58

Nh8

I just drove from Pune to Silvassa.
The condition of NH8 while going from Mumbai to Bhilad is good and there are a just a few bad patches.
But while coming back from Bhilad, the condition of NH 8 is bad especially in Maharashtra. While one can drive through as poor Indians have been doing it for decades. I wonder why do we have to pay toll for such horrid roads.
Old 12th July 2008, 19:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I just drove from Pune to Silvassa.
The condition of NH8 while going from Mumbai to Bhilad is good and there are a just a few bad patches.
But while coming back from Bhilad, the condition of NH 8 is bad especially in Maharashtra. While one can drive through as poor Indians have been doing it for decades. I wonder why do we have to pay toll for such horrid roads.
Year after year, a 25-km strech after the toll gate and through Vasai till Ghodbunder on NH8, the road simply vanishes and this year is no exception. The funny thing is the damage is especially bad near the Vasai juncion only in the North-South direction. This leads to long traffic jams and major underbody damage for cars - I have even scraped the sump in my Scorpio!
Old 15th July 2008, 00:06   #60
Senior - BHPian

NH8: Surat-Baroda

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Surat/Bharuch: While light drizzles at regular intervals continued in several parts of Surat, heavy rain which started on Saturday night continued till Sunday evening, disturbing normal life in Bharuch and Ankleshwar town. According to flood control officials in Bharuch, the district received over 17 inches of rain in 12 hours.

The situation was worst in Bharuch and Ankleshwar town as massive destruction was reported on the roads of NH-8 and old NH-8 between Surat and Vadodara.

Movement of vehicular traffic was disturbed due to incessant rains in the past two days. On Sunday, the district authorities diverted the traffic of NH-8 near Piraman village. “The road is damaged at several places and traffic is moving at snail’s pace. We have been patrolling on the highway to monitor the situation and broken down vehicles are pulled on to the sides,” said a highway traffic police official.

Officials at the district flood control room informed that 435 mm of rainfall was recorded in eight talukas of Bharuch district between 7 am and 7 pm on Sunday. Bharuch town received 127 mm, which was highest in the district. It was followed by Jhagadia (101mm), Hansot (89mm), Valia (35mm), Amod (30mm), Ankleshwar (27mm) and Vagra (17mm). The district so far has received 2,049 mm of rainfall, according to officials.

To improve the situation on the highway, district authorities have started repairing work near Amlakhadi which was severely damaged by the overflowing water from Khadi.

The newly-constructed diversion road on NH-8 was destroyed as Amlakhadi overflowed with heavy water.

Heavy traffic jam on NH-8 since roads were damaged at several places between Vadodara and Surat

Most Viewed