Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2017, 22:03   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Return journey - the other route to exit Munnar is via Marayoor.
From Marayoor you get to Udumalaipet and then take Palladam-Mangalam to reach the Avinashi bypass on NH 47/544.
From Avinashi, if you drive via Salem, then you will encounter the dreaded Krishnagiri and Attibele tolls during the end of a holiday/weekend.
Alternatively, from Avinashi you can go via Dhimbam-Hasanur-Chamarajanagar-Kanakapura-Bangalore.
Plan is to stay at Cardamom Plantation Resort, Kallar. This appears to be beyond crossing Munnar town.
Also what's the road condition for the return route? This road seems to be quite through jungle on Kerala side.
Old 31st October 2017, 23:00   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Plan is to stay at Cardamom Plantation Resort, Kallar.
Both routes take about the same time (3 hrs ish to Munnar), there's nothing much to choose. I'd ascend one way and descend through the other. The resort is 25 km from Munnar town towards Kochi direction, so add another 45 min - 1 hour from Munnar.

Am only aware till Chitrapuram where I had stayed. Till that it doesn't look like a jungle, not sure how it is beyond.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 10:06   #1158
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Plan is to stay at Cardamom Plantation Resort, Kallar. This appears to be beyond crossing Munnar town.
Gmaps is suggesting going via Poopara-Rajakumari route to Kallar instead of going via Chinnakanal-Devikulam, I'm not aware of road conditions on this suggested route.

Quote:
Also what's the road condition for the return route? This road seems to be quite through jungle on Kerala side.
By return route you mean via Marayoor-Udumalaipet ?
If so, Munnar-Marayoor-Udumalaipet was decent but bit narrow and some rough edges in the Chinnar forest section but was manageable, not sure about recent conditions though. From Udumalaipet, roads are excellent to Avinashi bypass. Avinashi bypass-Dhimbham-Chamarajanagar is also decent from what I know. Avinashi-bypass-Salem is also good, overall don't see any major issue in terms of road conditions. Traffic conditions is another story, especially on holiday weekends
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 21:22   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
For return route - sticking to Bodi - Theni - Dindgal - Salem route can save time. Since the roads are 4 lane most of the route, it will be less tiring. Plan to be early at toll booths to avoid traffic blocks.

Bodi - Pooppara is through cardamon forest area. But, beyond that, you will have small towns all the way to Kallar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The resort is 25 km from Munnar town towards Kochi direction, so add another 45 min - 1 hour from Munnar.
Take deviation from Pooppara as below.

Quote:
Gmaps is suggesting going via Poopara-Rajakumari route to Kallar instead of going via Chinnakanal-Devikulam, I'm not aware of road conditions on this suggested route.
Though the roads are not in great condition, this can save time. Keep the maps on as there can be some turns with out proper markings.

At present, there are road work going on between Pooppara and Munnar also. Hence, all vehicles to Munnar are redirected this way during day time.

By December, hope the road work will be over. But, still, taking Pooppara - Rajakumari - Rajakkad - Kunjithanni - Chithirapuram - Kallar route would save time. Also this has more small towns for refreshments in between.

If you reaching Pooppara early in the morning and want to stop for scenic views on the way to Kallar, take the Devikulam - Munnar route to Kallar. As this route offers some beautiful views along the way.
bijuks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:54   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
For return route - sticking to Bodi - Theni - Dindgal - Salem route can save time. Since the roads are 4 lane most of the route, it will be less tiring. Plan to be early at toll booths to avoid traffic blocks.
Will be starting back on 29th December morning to Bangalore which is Friday and reach at scary tolls by evening. I hope the traffic will be less at tolls being a weekday.

Quote:
By December, hope the road work will be over. But, still, taking Pooppara - Rajakumari - Rajakkad - Kunjithanni - Chithirapuram - Kallar route would save time. Also this has more small towns for refreshments in between.
If the work gets over we can think of going by the normal road and return by above route.

Quote:
If you reaching Pooppara early in the morning and want to stop for scenic views on the way to Kallar, take the Devikulam - Munnar route to Kallar. As this route offers some beautiful views along the way.
This is tough since will be starting from Kodai on 26th Morning and will reach Pooppara by noon or so.
Old 6th December 2017, 14:12   #1161
Senior - BHPian

There is a slight change in my plans. The place where I will stay is Estate Residency (http://www.estateresidency.com/). Any ideas about this place? Came across mixed opinions.

Again is there anything that I need to worry after the cyclone Ockhi?

Am planning to take following route, any suggestions please.

Bangalore-Kodaikanal via Dindigul
Kodaikanal-Munnar via Theni
Munnar-Bangalore via Theni and Dindigul (same route back home considering the broad and fast routes even though distance will be a little more.)
Old 6th December 2017, 14:56   #1162
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Kodaikanal via Dindigul
Kodaikanal-Munnar via Theni
Munnar-Bangalore via Theni and Dindigul (same route back home considering the broad and fast routes even though distance will be a little more.)
The routing should be fine unless there have been recent developments due to rains, etc
You may need to plan your timing around Salem due to the flyover construction zone. Early mornings before 8:30am are usually fine from my experience, return becomes a bit tricky, but since you will reach Salem from the Karur side, one option may be to do Tiruchengode-Omalur bypassing Salem (decide based on your return timing and check live traffic conditions on the map).
Old 6th December 2017, 15:39   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
There is a slight change in my plans. The place where I will stay is Estate Residency (http://www.estateresidency.com/). Any ideas about this place? Came across mixed opinions.

Spot on. This is the fastest route back. Did this route in October. Went to Munnar. I was able to do Kodai Road to home in around 5:30 mins,including a couple of tea stops and the Salem jam. The trick is pass the Krishnagiri toll at around 2-3 pm on holiday weekends. If you are any later expect long queues at the tolls, especially Krishnagiri and Attibele.

Last edited by ampere : 6th December 2017 at 16:51.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 11:43   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may need to plan your timing around Salem due to the flyover construction zone. Early mornings before 8:30am are usually fine from my experience, return becomes a bit tricky, but since you will reach Salem from the Karur side, one option may be to do Tiruchengode-Omalur bypassing Salem (decide based on your return timing and check live traffic conditions on the map).
I will be starting at around 6AM on 23rd. Assuming it will take some 3-4 hours to reach Salem (I doubt it), do you recommend to take the Omalur road already? It will add some 30+ minutes to travel time but may be worth it.
Return is on 29th where I will reach Salem only by 3-4PM or so, but being Friday(weekday) I may get some quicker timing. Again I can take the Tiruchengode-Omalur route to avoid Salem. But in both ways Krishnagiri and Attibele are unavoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Spot on. This is the fastest route back. Did this route in October. Went to Munnar. I was able to do Kodai Road to home in around 5:30 mins,including a couple of tea stops and the Salem jam. The trick is pass the Krishnagiri toll at around 2-3 pm on holiday weekends. If you are any later expect long queues at the tolls, especially Krishnagiri and Attibele.
My return is on 29th, Friday. I hope I will not have a massive traffic then
Old 7th December 2017, 12:16   #1165
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be starting at around 6AM on 23rd.
Being part of the holiday weekend, you can expect very heavy traffic going out of Bangalore. Last year my friend started at 5am and reached Salem around 10am and even the restaurants were full with people
One option is to start between 3-4am or start late, say 9-10am.

Quote:
Return is on 29th where I will reach Salem only by 3-4PM or so, but being Friday(weekday) I may get some quicker timing.
This may be fine, but Krishnagiri and Attibele tolls may still be painful. Plus Bangalore traffic on a weekday evening.

Last edited by NPV : 7th December 2017 at 12:18.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:47   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Being part of the holiday weekend, you can expect very heavy traffic going out of Bangalore. Last year my friend started at 5am and reached Salem around 10am and even the restaurants were full with people
Are there any good hotels en route after Salem where I can reach on 22nd night? Just thinking of an alternate plan to start at around 5PM on 22nd and somehow cross Salem, make a stay and proceed next morning towards Kodai. This might buy some more time in Kodai/Munnar.
I will be traveling with my family, total 6 people. An overnight stay will help in this case.
Old 7th December 2017, 12:55   #1167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But in both ways Krishnagiri and Attibele are unavoidable
Not necessary. Check this post (Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries) for alternate route.
Old 7th December 2017, 16:18   #1168
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any good hotels en route after Salem where I can reach on 22nd night? Just thinking of an alternate plan to start at around 5PM on 22nd and somehow cross Salem, make a stay and proceed next morning towards Kodai.
Salem has some good hotels like Grand Estancia & The Park right on the highway (service road).
There is also a Saravana Bhavan/Aasai Dosai that also has lodging.

Most other options I know of are on the NH 47/544 and one of them is KPN Plaza which is not a big detour from Salem (3-4Km Max.)

See this earlier post (Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries)
Old 7th December 2017, 16:39   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
This might buy some more time in Kodai/Munnar.

Honestly not worth doing a night halt at Salem. It is just a 2-2:30 hrs drive from Bangalore if you start early morning. A 5:30pm start will get you into peak traffic in city and right upto Krishnagiri, you probably reach Salem well past 9:30 -10 pm.

Just do a 5 am start from Bangalore, you should be in Salem Sarvana Bhavan for breakfast at 7:30 am and Kodai for lunch.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 7th December 2017 at 16:40.
Old 7th December 2017, 17:24   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Honestly not worth doing a night halt at Salem. It is just a 2-2:30 hrs drive from Bangalore if you start early morning. A 5:30pm start will get you into peak traffic in city and right upto Krishnagiri, you probably reach Salem well past 9:30 -10 pm.

Just do a 5 am start from Bangalore, you should be in Salem Sarvana Bhavan for breakfast at 7:30 am and Kodai for lunch.
I am trying to put this plan since I am with my whole family. Starting at 5AM could be a bit tough due to my young kid. Any small delay in starting will result is more trouble further. I tried similar thing few months back when I visited Pondicherry. 5AM starting time resulted in 6.30AM on Saturday morning and I could see what it meant by "horrible" toll posts , wasted 2 hours.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 7th December 2017 at 17:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks