Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 10:35   #646
BHPian

re: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Like DF stated no money.but make sure you carry your original RC,original PUC,original insurance,original license.show the copy only,only if the situation warrants show them the original if asked for.
Absolutely correct. I myself have paid Rs. 100/- for chai pani for not carrying originals at MH check post. Goa checkpost never really bothers
Old 9th December 2011, 10:43   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I hope you plan to take the phonda ghat road to tarkarli? Please report back the entire road condition after kolhapur, I would be going to tarkarli on 24th.
Yeah Sure Figopian, will let you know. Right now I am in search of a good wet suite in Pune. Not willing to go to Mumbai and buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniladhiya View Post
Your Mahableshwar trip timings were peak times at the tolls. For your forthcoming trip I dont see any issues there, considering you will leave at 4 a.m.

For breakfast, ideal would be Hotel Sai International, which is about 38 kms after the Karad flyover and about 32 kms before Kolhapur. Of course since you would be reaching there around 6.30, don't know whether the restaurant would be open that early. This is strongly recommended by Kumar, so may be he can opine on their opening time.
Thank you. Will locate the same on google maps. Hope it would be open by the time I reach. Hearing about the fog condition, I may be slowed down and reach only by 7.00 am. Lets see.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:35   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Yeah Sure Figopian, will let you know. Right now I am in search of a good wet suite in Pune. Not willing to go to Mumbai and buy it.

Thank you. Will locate the same on google maps. Hope it would be open by the time I reach. Hearing about the fog condition, I may be slowed down and reach only by 7.00 am. Lets see.
You may also try Hotels at Karad, Sangam or Warana, in case you get slowed down or are hungry soon
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 11:23   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
Ok, just for reference, here's a list of all the toll booths one has to go through from Mumbai to Goa via the Kolhapur route. I usually take a right at Nipani so am not aware of any beyond that to Belgaum.

The list includes the toll rate as of June 2011. Any new updates are welcome.

Mumbai Exit Point : Rs 30
Khalapur : Rs 165
Talegaon : Rs 99
Shivapur : Rs 65
Anewadi/Virmade : Rs 45
Taswade : Rs 52
Kini : Rs 52
Kognoli : Rs 25
Total : Rs 533

I use this list and keep all the money ready in proper order so time spent at each booth is minimal and I don't get toffees in return as change.
Very useful, but when is a good time to travel so as to reduce waiting time at the tolls? I know it would be at night between 2200 to say 0600. but in the day any trends? Like in mumbai we have traffic southbound in the mornings and north bound in the evenings.

So is there any such trend at these tolls? And which is the best time to cross them?

Also lane discipline takes a toss here, and I'm constantly fighting to keep ones lane to prevent a smart alec cutting in.
Old 11th December 2011, 02:10   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Very useful, but when is a good time to travel so as to reduce waiting time at the tolls? I know it would be at night between 2200 to say 0600. but in the day any trends? Like in mumbai we have traffic southbound in the mornings and north bound in the evenings.

So is there any such trend at these tolls? And which is the best time to cross them?

Also lane discipline takes a toss here, and I'm constantly fighting to keep ones lane to prevent a smart alec cutting in.
Thanks, goandude, but do bear in mind the info and updates on the toll scene.

1. Kini and Taswade now charge Rs. 58/- each and you can pay them Rs. 115/- collectively at one toll plaza.

2. You again have the option of paying a combined toll for Khed Shivapur and Anewadi at Rs. 110/-.

3. If you pay Rs. 165/- on the Mum-Pune expressway then you don't have to pay Rs. 99/- again at the exit toll plaza.

Okay, I love night driving and have always cruised on the NH4 at night and negotiated the Nipani-Goa road in the day (I leave Mumbai at 12:30am - 1:00am so I reach Nipani at 6:00am max, and I leave Goa at 1:00pm so I reach Nipani at 6:30pm max). I take a 1 hour break at Nipani. This way my engine does not overheat even if it is red lined in the cool of the night and I don't have to honk 'cause most of the signalling is done via lights.

This also means I encounter the toll plazas at night-to-late night when they are not much crowded. It does not take away from the inefficiency of the toll operators but I have managed to get past them between 1 minute to 7 minutes max depending on the plaza.

Just once this February (2011) I happened to travel this road in the day with my Father-in-Law and it was a nightmare. It took us a minimum of 10 minutes to clear each toll plaza and what with the bikers, local traffic and villagers zig-zagging the road. That was the first time I hated the drive from Goa.

So in my opinion late night is the best time to cross the toll road.
Old 11th December 2011, 17:33   #651
BHPian

The tolls we paid on our trip towards goa was,
1. Rs 165 Mumbai-Pune Expressway
2. Rs 65
3. Rs 45
4. Rs 58 (Twice ,Kini and Taswade tolls)
5. Rs 25 (When entering karnataka)

Total Toll paid: Rs 416 One way.
Ravi Yadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 10:30   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
Thanks, goandude, but do bear in mind the info and updates on the toll scene.

So in my opinion late night is the best time to cross the toll road.
I did say, that night would be best for crossing the tolls, but in the day, does any particular time favor north/south traffic?? Like it does in Mumbai?
Old 12th December 2011, 11:02   #653
BHPian

I completely @Dr. Sav on night driving on NH4. It is much more peaceful, the traffic is less, very disciplined and quick exits from the toll booths. I happened to drive the same road ( Karad to Pune ) in the evening rush hour and was stuck on one of the toll booth for over 30 minutes. Bikes were menace on highway, especially near villages. Not that I am against bikers, but at times they drive with no regards for their own life as well as others. Anyways, you need to plan well (little extra) for night driving as well!!!

take care and drive safely
Old 12th December 2011, 11:23   #654
Senior - BHPian

Is it worth to take the risk of night driving to save 15-20 min at toll booths?
Old 12th December 2011, 12:13   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@Ashish, toll booths to be very frank, can be quite annoying, especially, when you see its taking time more than expected, and some A** just breaking into the line pushing his way through. Anyways, saving 15-20 minutes on toll booths is just an added bonus of night driving.

Frankly I have driven on NH4 almost always day time ( and I know you travel too, perhaps more than me!! ) and only a couple of time while going to Goa have started early or reached late Pune and I did see the huge difference in the traffic. Not only its sparse and villagers not crisscrossing the highway, but I definitely found that the truckers were much much more disciplined - be it lane discipline or response to night light signals. Whats the most I was surprised was, barring one off incident, I didn't see any trucks with high beam. It may be my lucky day, but then overall driving experience was much better and stress free. May be I am wrong, but I was able to concentrate more on the road than in during the day driving as you have nothing to see around than road at night. One misses out on good spots / vistas in the bargain.

Anyways, I said that, one has to be really prepared for night driving, physically and mentally. One just cannot just get up and say suddenly that I will do a night drive now!

P.S. It should not be construed from the post that night driving is the best mode for driving. Day driving and night driving has its own advantages and dis advantages. Its up to individuals to weigh them and decide what works out for them. Especially time between 3AM to 6 AM is when particularly one has to be very careful as many accidents happen during this time frame for various reasons.

take care and drove safely
rkavthekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 17:05   #656
BHPian

One of the ways of avoiding the mess at the Tolls on NH4 is to stick to the right most lane. Atleast it gives you peace of mind from the morons who jump the queue and try to squeeze in between. Also due to heavy rush, the toll plaza attendents might have opened a lane from the opposite side. It is also lot better to join a queue of trucks and buses as they are more disciplined than private cars and cabs. I travelled on NH4 this weekend and on an average got through the tolls in about 5-7 minutes.
Old 12th December 2011, 18:54   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
One of the ways of avoiding the mess at the Tolls on NH4 is to stick to the right most lane. Atleast it gives you peace of mind from the morons who jump the queue and try to squeeze in between. Also due to heavy rush, the toll plaza attendents might have opened a lane from the opposite side. It is also lot better to join a queue of trucks and buses as they are more disciplined than private cars and cabs. I travelled on NH4 this weekend and on an average got through the tolls in about 5-7 minutes.
I completely agree with you!
The rightmost lane is the safest lane, it may be intimidating to get into the leftmost lane being fast moving, but choice is yours!!
Old 12th December 2011, 20:55   #658
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just got back to Bombay yesterday from Goa.
Ashish Pallod, you will be pleased to note that, as promised, I used the same route as before i.e. Mapuca - Banda - Danoli - Amboli - Ajra - Gadhinglaj - Sankeshwar - Kolhapur - Poona - Bombay.
Total time from Goa to Bombay was 9 hrs and 05 mins. including a deviation into Poona.
Total driving time including the Poona deviation was 7 hours and 55 mins approx.
The section of road from the Goa checkpost to Banda though still in bad shape seems to have improved somewhat. Well, the northbound side anyway.
The Banda - Danoli road was in pretty much the same condition as I reported two weeks ago when I used it for the first time. Quite a few villagers and school kids on the Danoli road at 0630 in the morning. Again, it took 25-27 mins to cross this stretch but I am happy I used it and will do so again. I left Mapuca at 0600 hrs exactly and was at Kamat's, Amboli for breakfast at 0720 hrs so, not too bad.
Again, as I said before, it depends on the car one is driving. This time I had the SX4 and the rutted section of the road did not feel as bad as it did in the WagonR.
Left Amboli after a delayed breakfast (Kamat's had just opened at 0700) just before 0800 and turned off at the Hinjewadi exit to enter Poona (to visit a sick relative) at 1210. Reached the Kapila Hotel near Poona Station at 1250. I was very lucky with the toll booths this time.
Left Poona the next morning (Sunday) at 0945 hours and was at Raheja Vihar, Powai, Bombay at exactly 1200 hrs.
I was really happy with the good time I made on this run and the whole trip in general.
Will be going back to Goa in January and will keep you all updated accordingly.

Regards,
SS
Old 13th December 2011, 01:19   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I did say, that night would be best for crossing the tolls, but in the day, does any particular time favor north/south traffic?? Like it does in Mumbai?
Well, firstly, apologies for misunderstanding your question. I have always driven on the route at night so wouldn't know much about day time traffic patterns. Someone who frequents that route much more in the day will be able to respond much accurately.

However, I can tell you about the one time in February this year that I traveled the NH4 in the day. I drove from 12:30 pm to evening on NH4 and saw an equal amount of traffic on both sides of the divider. The vehicles were piled bumper to bumper for at least 100 meters in both directions in all the lanes. Therefore the option of opening one extra lane from the opposite direction did not arise. This was at almost all toll booths. Maybe it was a one day issue. As I said, someone who frequents that route much more in the day will be able to respond much accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Hmmm, good question, Ashish, but it's not about saving 15-20 mins at toll booths. It's more about the entire package. As rkavthekar has rightly pointed out, saving time at toll booths is just a bonus. And not just 15-20 mins but at least an hour when you combine all the time saved at every booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
I did see the huge difference in the traffic.
Not only its sparse and villagers not crisscrossing the highway, but I definitely found that the truckers were much much more disciplined.
May be I am wrong, but I was able to concentrate more on the road than in during the day driving as you have nothing to see around than road at night. One misses out on good spots / vistas in the bargain.

one has to be really prepared for night driving, physically and mentally. One just cannot just get up and say suddenly that I will do a night drive now!

P.S. It should not be construed from the post that night driving is the best mode for driving. Day driving and night driving has its own advantages and dis advantages. Its up to individuals to weigh them and decide what works out for them.
Cannot agree with you more on all of the above from your post.

Day and Night driving has its own pluses and minuses. Each person has to decide what suits one better. The intention is not to start a debate on Day v/s Night driving. But I for one am a night bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Yeah, I concur totally, but if you read my response to goandude in this post you'll understand I had a different (maybe one off) experience.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:21   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Mates,
This has eventually turned into a Belgaum - Goa route Query thread.
My suggestion is that anyone who seeks this info should state 2 imp criterias,
1. ETD from belgaum ( towards Goa )
2. Destination in Goa.
This would help all of us to provide more accurate suggestions.
Cheers.
Hey Sahir

Have taken plenty of inputs more or less decided - but utilizing your opinion as the casting vote.

I am driving in from Delhi and going on to Goa and would like your inputs:

1. Stay the night at Belgaum and start early morning for Goa - so a good budget hotel to stay in Belgaum with wife and kids
2. ETD from Belgaum - 5 AM
3. Best route to Goa for a Honda City - even if longer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks