Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 00:00   #226
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Thank you for the suggestion mate. But I can't try this route this time as we have friends from southern TN joining too & the plan is to meetup @ Coimbatore. Having said that, I'm still interested to drive through the Bandipur Reserve as I've heard a lot about this route. So, may do a short trip from Masinagudi to Bandipur or a little beyond that.
You can certainly do that and an early morning safari is simply serene in Bandipur . You can also plan your return via this route if possible.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 21:03   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, that may help. My trip is planned for Christmas.
Hello, I did the trip to ooty, and did both ways up from mettupalayalam to ooty via kotagiri. The trip up was uneventful and very light traffic, however the return was in very heavy fog right from ooty till I reached the plains, though the Traffic was again light. I did notice some slight land slips, nothing to write home about, but if the rain continues, it could be a problem.
Old 15th December 2017, 12:26   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Hello, I did the trip to ooty, and did both ways up from mettupalayalam to ooty via kotagiri. The trip up was uneventful and very light traffic, however the return was in very heavy fog right from ooty till I reached the plains, though the Traffic was again light. I did notice some slight land slips, nothing to write home about, but if the rain continues, it could be a problem.
Thanks for the update Sparky! Is it still raining in this part of TN?
Old 15th December 2017, 13:37   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update Sparky! Is it still raining in this part of TN?
Its drizzling most of the time, nothing heavy, Lot of cloud cover. it may change by the time you get there.
Old 18th December 2017, 16:14   #230
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Am planning to drive to Ooty from Bangalore , via Masinagudi. This is the first time I
am starting post lunch .
Can someone please confirm if there is a closure of the forest gate (Theppekadu ?)
in the evenings ? If so, what time does it close ?

Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:33   #231
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Can someone please confirm if there is a closure of the forest gate (Theppekadu ?)
in the evenings ? If so, what time does it close ?
I think Bandipur side gate closes at 9pm.
Again, at Theppakadu, after you turn left to Masinagudi, there is a check post that probably closes at 8pm, so the 36 hair pin bend route is ruled out, however I'm not sure if you can continue straight via Gudalur (there is one more check post on that route but not sure about timings).

I think another option could be to drive to Avinashi via Salem, stay overnight at a hotel (eg. Srinivasa inn attached to Anandha Bhavan near Chengapalli) and head out next morning to Ooty via Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam.

You could even consider staying overnight at Gundlupet, there is a hotel called Misty Rock opposite the coffee day outlet.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 16:22   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think Bandipur side gate closes at 9pm.
Again, at Theppakadu, after you turn left to Masinagudi, there is a check post that probably closes at 8pm, so the 36 hair pin bend route is ruled out, however I'm not sure if you can continue straight via Gudalur (there is one more check post on that route but not sure about timings).

I think another option could be to drive to Avinashi via Salem, stay overnight at a hotel (eg. Srinivasa inn attached to Anandha Bhavan near Chengapalli) and head out next morning to Ooty via Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam.

You could even consider staying overnight at Gundlupet, there is a hotel called Misty Rock opposite the coffee day outlet.
Thanks for the feedback. If the Masinagudi checkpost closes by 8.00 pm,
I can easily make it. I got a doubt that it closes by 6.00 pm, which is impossible for me to beat. I plan to start by 2.30 pm from Bangalore and should be at the Theppekadu turning by around 6.30-7.00 pm.
However, need to get a confirmation before I proceed.

Staying en-route is not an option, since I would then prefer to start early
next day (say 5.00 AM), from Bangalore itself.
Old 19th December 2017, 21:34   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Bandipur as NPV mentioned closes at 09.00 PM. Thepekadu checkpost which is mentioned as 08.00 PM, I guess is the one on Thepekadu - Mudumalai route. This one also as per my recollection, officially close at 09.00 PM. However, they don't allow people after 8pm unless you are headed to Masinagudi.

I remember once crossing it at 8.15 pm while our destination was Masinagudi.

In any case, it will be best to take Gudalur route in night. In that case, after Bandipur check post there is no other checkpost with closure till Ooty I guess.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 15:08   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Bandipur as NPV mentioned closes at 09.00 PM. Thepekadu checkpost which is mentioned as 08.00 PM, I guess is the one on Thepekadu - Mudumalai route. This one also as per my recollection, officially close at 09.00 PM. However, they don't allow people after 8pm unless you are headed to Masinagudi.

I remember once crossing it at 8.15 pm while our destination was Masinagudi.

In any case, it will be best to take Gudalur route in night. In that case, after Bandipur check post there is no other checkpost with closure till Ooty I guess.
Thanks. I guess then, since I am planning to reach Thepekadu by 6.30 pm,
I should not have any problem to take the Mudumalai route to Ooty .

Correct me if I am wrong please.
Old 20th December 2017, 20:18   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Thanks. I guess then, since I am planning to reach Thepekadu by 6.30 pm.
Perfect. Should not face any issues.

Just a word of caution, on Thepekadu - Mudumalai route, road width is just enough for two vehicles. So if a car approach from opposite side you will have to get off the road to let them pass. The tourist jeeps on this route are relectuant to do that and they try to push you off without themselves getting off the road. Do keep that in mind.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:04   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Perfect. Should not face any issues.

Just a word of caution, on Thepekadu - Mudumalai route, road width is just enough for two vehicles. So if a car approach from opposite side you will have to get off the road to let them pass. The tourist jeeps on this route are relectuant to do that and they try to push you off without themselves getting off the road. Do keep that in mind.
I know the route, since I have taken that 6-7 times earlier over the last
4-5 years. Vehicles from the opp side are very few , since post 6.00 AM,
The guard at the Ooty end will not allow vehicles in that route

Thanks once again for your feedback !
Old 20th May 2018, 10:08   #237
BHPian

Hey guys.

I a planning to ride up to Ooty next week. I believe there are 2 routes form Mettupalyam to Ooty. #1 via Coonoor and #2 via Kotagiri. Any comparisons between two routes and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2018 at 08:23. Reason: fixed typo
Old 20th May 2018, 11:11   #238

Both routes have well laid tarmac.

The traditional route is via coonoor. At times when there is a lot of traffic as in festivals, flower shows or if there has been an accident, then traffic is diverted via kotagiri. The road via kotagiri has perhaps a lil bit more estates, I would say. You may want to go up one way and down the other. That's what i do.

By the way it's the flower show season now, it'll be fun but crowded.
knightowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 09:36   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Hey guy. I a planning to ride up to Ooty next week. I believe there are 2 routes form Mettupalyam to Ooty. #1 via Coonoor and #2 via Kotagiri. Any comparisons between two routes and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
Both routes have well laid tarmac.

The traditional route is via coonoor. At times when there is a lot of traffic as in festivals, flower shows or if there has been an accident, then traffic is diverted via kotagiri. The road via kotagiri has perhaps a lil bit more estates, I would say. You may want to go up one way and down the other. That's what i do.

By the way it's the flower show season now, it'll be fun but crowded.
I did Chennai Ooty trip on 01-May-18

Indeed, Kotagiri route is less preferred by cabbies, thereby makes this route less traffic. Probably, KM matters a lot to them and of course, it's around 15 km more. Nevertheless, Kotagiri route is scenic & picturesque since it passes through many tea estates. And,if you have around 2 hours in hand, you can visit Kodanad view point, which is 17 kms from Kotagiri. Normally, it is missed out being bit away from Ooty.

Still, Coonoor route has certain advantages like travelling along the heritage railway track, old bridges & stations (especially Kallar)despite of traffic.

So, I agree with 'knightowl' to cover both the routes, especially if you are a first time traveler to Ooty, to enjoy both the routes.

Trust, it helps and happy journey !
tstlnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 11:04   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Hey guy. I a planning to ride up to Ooty next week. I believe there are 2 routes form Mettupalyam to Ooty. #1 via Coonoor and #2 via Kotagiri. Any comparisons between two routes and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
During season time, these routes will be made one way; so, you may not really have any choice.

https://www.dtnext.in/News/TamilNadu...-for-Ooty-.vpf

Altough the above linked article says it has been made one way, there is no information about its duration.
batman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks