Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2015, 09:28   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi Guys, Please let me know which is the best route to Koodalur from Chennai. I've heard banglore route is good and scenically than other routes.

I'll be going along with my family, So the good (less challenging) routes preferred.
If you want the easiest route, then it should be,

Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore-Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Gundlupet-Gudalur
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:09   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Salem-Avinashi-Annur-Mettlupalayam-Conoor. Thats a better option.
Ampere Thanks!, So is it better to avoid Vellore-Krishnagiri route and instead take Ulundurpet - Salem route?
Old 28th April 2015, 11:10   #153
BHPian

Thanks rameshnanda!

I just googled this route, looks like I need to cross bandipur and muthumalai wild life sanctuaries. My relative told me there's only 3 hairpin bends are there.

Do we need to enter all the way to bangalore? How about the road quality? Google map says most of the roads under repair work.
Old 28th April 2015, 11:39   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
If you want the easiest route, then it should be,

Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore-Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamrajnagar-Gundlupet-Gudalur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Thanks rameshnanda!

I just googled this route, looks like I need to cross bandipur and muthumalai wild life sanctuaries. My relative told me there's only 3 hairpin bends are there.

Do we need to enter all the way to bangalore? How about the road quality? Google map says most of the roads under repair work.
Yes - you do have to cross the sanctuaries. As for the hairpin bends, I'm not sure which one is being referred to here - if it is the one inside Bandipur WLS, it hardly qualifies as one, it is just a small hillock which you go around and the road gradient is quite small.

You don't need to enter Bangalore City - After you pass the Electronic City elevated road entrance (you shouldn't get on to the elevated road - stay on the right most lane to continue on the road below), you'll find the entrance to the NICE road towards the left after about 2 kms. Enter NICE road and take the second exit onto Kanakapura road (NH209).

Note that there is a bridge under construction between Malavalli and Kollegal on NH209, so you need to take an alternate route via Malavalli-Talakad-T.Narsipur and reach Chamarajnagar directly instead of going through Kollegal. The route is shown in the link http://goo.gl/4ChvkU (That shows the route to Ooty - In your case you don't need take the left turn at Theppekkad towards Masinagudi/Ooty but go straight instead in order to get to Gudalur).

Roads are good almost all the way except for some bad stretches inside the forest between Theppekkadu and Gudalur - right at the very end of your journey.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 11:46   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Ampere Thanks!, So is it better to avoid Vellore-Krishnagiri route and instead take Ulundurpet - Salem route?
If you are in south Chennai closer to Tambaram, then it makes sense. If you are closer to NH4 then taken the Vellore route.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 21:34   #156
BHPian

Quote:

As Ampere mentioned if you live in south chennai, even if you live around OMR ECR, connect to chengalpet through thiruporur and do the Ulundurpet salem route. This way you can avoid a lot of city traffic upto chengalpet. Traffic starts thinning once you hit tindivanam. What time do you plan to start your journey?

@Jebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Roads are good almost all the way except for some bad stretches inside the forest between Theppekkadu and Gudalur - right at the very end of your journey.
Roads between Theppekkadu to Gudalur are almost not there. Drive from Mysore is a two lane road with KA buses bullying everything on their path. Esp the Volvos. Unless things have improved since Feb this year.
Why dont you try the mettupalayam kotagiri ooty gudalur? Its not too much of a challenge. You might enjoy the drive and the scenery. The mettupalayam coonoor road is still a mess.

Last edited by YaeJay : 30th April 2015 at 21:48. Reason: added info
Old 1st May 2015, 12:02   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your home in chennai is near Tambaram and down south, it makes sense to come via Ulundurpet.
If your home in chennai is near Porur, Poonamallee, it makes sense to come via Vellore.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 17:26   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Why dont you try the mettupalayam kotagiri ooty gudalur? Its not too much of a challenge. You might enjoy the drive and the scenery. The mettupalayam coonoor road is still a mess.
Every Summer due to heavy traffic they used to make Mettupalayam - Coonoor - Ooty and Mettupalayam - Kotagiri - Ooty as one way with the former being used for upward direction and Latter for downward movement. Has it not been implemented this time?

Last edited by DWind : 1st May 2015 at 17:29.
Old 2nd May 2015, 19:27   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Every Summer due to heavy traffic they used to make Mettupalayam - Coonoor - Ooty and Mettupalayam - Kotagiri - Ooty as one way with the former being used for upward direction and Latter for downward movement. Has it not been implemented this time?

As of this moment, No. I verified with a friend. Plan to be heading that way next week.

Last edited by YaeJay : 2nd May 2015 at 19:29.
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:28   #160
BHPian

Last year I took ulundurpet - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Kothagiri route to Ooty. There was no one way implemented at that point of time. Initially Mettupalayam - Kothagiri roads are narrow however traffic was minimal. While climbing down took Coonoor route. There are some places where roads are narrow and would accommodate only one vehicle in the Coonoor route. Hence need to take care while taking Coonoor route as traffic would be at its peak during this season.
Personally prefer Ulundurpet route for onward journey and Krishnagiri route for return journey to avoid Vandalur - Perungalathur traffic bottleneck.

From Ooty I went upto Theppakadu for jungle safari. It took more than 3 hours for me to cover the distance till Theppakadu that too in a Duster. This was during June 2014 and understand from the recent posts that roads are still worse.
Old 11th May 2015, 10:09   #161
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
But in my opinion the Ulundurpet route is way better than the other route.. I average 6.30 mins to 7 hours chennai to mettupalayam and half an hour extra on the return.
I am planning to drive my Honda City from Chennai to Mettupalayam and subsequently to Valparai this weekend. I stay in OMR and planning to take the Ulundurpet-Bhavani-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalaym route. Need help on the following

1. Any construction or conditions of the road that I need to be aware of from Chennai to Mettupalayam?

2. Need suggestions on a couple of good places for breakfast around 2-3 hours from Chennai

3. For Mettupalayam -> Valparai, do I have to go via Coimbatore or are there better options? I see a route via Annur->Karumathampatti->Malumichampatti->Pollachi. Any idea of how the roads on this route are?
Old 11th May 2015, 11:21   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I am planning to drive my Honda City from Chennai to Mettupalayam and subsequently to Valparai this weekend. I stay in OMR and planning to take the Ulundurpet-Bhavani-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalaym route. Need help on the following

1. Any construction or conditions of the road that I need to be aware of from Chennai to Mettupalayam?

2. Need suggestions on a couple of good places for breakfast around 2-3 hours from Chennai

3. For Mettupalayam -> Valparai, do I have to go via Coimbatore or are there better options? I see a route via Annur->Karumathampatti->Malumichampatti->Pollachi. Any idea of how the roads on this route are?
Where exactly are you staying in OMR? Based on where you are staying on OMR, the exit out of Chennai could be planned.

If you are staying south of Sholinganallur then you could try the following options to exit Chennai -

Option 1 : via Thiruporur - Chengelpet road
Option 2 : via Kelambakkam - Vandalur road

If you are staying North of Sholinganallur then may be take the 200 feet road to connect to Pallavaram on GST

I would recommend A2B Ulundurpet for the breakfast break. It's 137 kms from Chengelpet and just before the Ulundurpet toll plaza and will come on the right side of the road from when you travel towards Ulundurpet.

Last edited by searacer932 : 11th May 2015 at 11:24.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 21:03   #163
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
If you are staying North of Sholinganallur then may be take the 200 feet road to connect to Pallavaram on GST

I would recommend A2B Ulundurpet for the breakfast break.
Thanks searacer. Yes, I stay north of Sholinganallur and hence the 200 ft road makes sense.

Can anyone help me with Valparai route query?
Old 11th May 2015, 23:34   #164
BHPian

Quote:

It depends on the time you leave Mettupalayam. If you are entering into Coimbatore during non-peak hours, it is absolutely fine to take the city. You will not save time in taking the 25km long alternative as it passes through multiple villages. That being said, AFAIK the Annur-Karumathampatti-Karanampettai-Pollachi should be good.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 12:33   #165
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One simple way is to do Mettupalayam-Annur-Avinashi (bypass), go below the NH47 to the other side towards Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Aliyar-Valparai
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks