Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 15:19   #196
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries

Awesome! thank you so much, appreciate the quick response. By the way, any specific not to be missed stops on the way? To eat, or to enjoy the scenery? It is a long distance and we would love to have lunch or snack at some famous eateries en-route. By the way, should I go via Kotagiri as someone mentioned above or stick to the Google suggested route?

Last edited by zzzehar : 28th December 2015 at 15:27.
Old 28th December 2015, 15:30   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
By the way, should I go via Kotagiri as someone mentioned above or stick to the Google suggested route?
Via Kotagiri would add around 30-40 min to the journey. The road quality is much better and traffic is lower. Hence it is a more relaxing drive. So if you are not in a great hurry to reach, would recommend the Kotagiri route. Here are a couple of snaps of Mettupalayam-Kotagiri Road (from October end).

Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries-dsc_2170.jpg

Chennai - Coimbatore - Ooty : Route Queries-dsc_2175.jpg

Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 08:14   #198
BHPian

Thank you, the road looks beautiful. I will go via the Kotagiri route.
Old 30th December 2015, 16:48   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I'm a regular on the Chennai - Ulundurpet- Coimbatore route.
I made a 1500km trip last week. I took the Ulundurpet onward & returned via Bangalore highway. Highly recommend the Ulundurpet-Salem road, avoid Bangalore highway at all costs. SO MANY POTHOLES. Can't cross 70-80, I almost broke a suspension when I crashed into a crater sized pothole. The ulundurpet road is an absolute breeze to drive in, there are no road constructions. There are frequent 2-4 lane changes though but there's very little traffic. There's A2B near ulundurpet & woodlands next to it, then Salem has an A2B on the Coimbatore bypass. These two A2Bs are perfectly placed for breaks & they re exactly 1.5-2hours apart.
Hi sorry I couldn't reply earlier, no connectivity. I did take the Ulundurpet route in the end, it was great like you mentioned.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 21:51   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Via Kotagiri would add around 30-40 min to the journey. The road quality is much better and traffic is lower. Hence it is a more relaxing drive. So if you are not in a great hurry to reach, would recommend the Kotagiri route. Here are a couple of snaps of Mettupalayam-Kotagiri Road (from October end).
I always prefer this route to the mettupalayam - coonoor. This is a much broader road and i have always found this faster.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:45   #201
BHPian

Gentlemen and fellow travelers!

We require your expert opinion on which route to take while traveling to Ooty in April.

We will be, most certainly, taking the GST route from Chennai to Salem. Then hopping onto the NH47 all the way to Avinashi, then moving towards Mettupalayam. Then, we are unsure about which route to take to reach Ooty.

Two routes exist, as we know it. One is through Coonoor, and the other is through Kotagiri. There's hardly any difference in the distance being covered using either route, so the question is which is the better route to take? Priority for us is always the same. Best possible roads with as little traffic as possible. Looking at previous posts, it seems the road through Kotagiri is the chosen route?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks & Cheers!
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:21   #202
BHPian

Conoor route is the shortest route but traffic will be relatively more. Kotagiri route will be 10kms extra than conoor route and consumes 30-45 mins extra time.

Though Conoor route has more traffic, i have observed many times that the travel time was lesser for me compared to kotagiri route. From My own observation and experience

If you have time, visit Mudhumalai Tiger reserve forest and go for a safari in bandhipur by early morning/evenings.Since the forest is dry now, visibility is good and chances of you spotting wildlife may be more.

Have a safe and happy drive, please post pictures upon return. Thanks.
anandharamanp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:27   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
We will be, most certainly, taking the GST route from Chennai to Salem. Then hopping onto the NH47 all the way to Avinashi, then moving towards Mettupalayam. Then, we are unsure about which route to take to reach Ooty.
Two routes exist, as we know it. One is through Coonoor, and the other is through Kotagiri.

Conoor is the straighter route via the NH while the one via Kotagiri is the narrow route with less traffic. Coonoor route should see more traffic but in general should be wider.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 11:15   #204
BHPian

Is there any restriction on night driving from Ooty to Coimbatore? Is it safe? I have a short trip coming up to Ooty and need to return via Coimbatore but the timing is such that I might have to travel at night
Old 24th May 2016, 13:59   #205
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Is there any restriction on night driving from Ooty to Coimbatore? Is it safe? I have a short trip coming up to Ooty and need to return via Coimbatore but the timing is such that I might have to travel at night
If you're talking about the Ooty-Mettupalayam-Coimbatore route, there is no night time restriction but just be careful and keep to safe speeds. If you have previous hill driving & night driving experience, in that case should not be an issue.
Old 24th May 2016, 14:39   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're talking about the Ooty-Mettupalayam-Coimbatore route, there is no night time restriction but just be careful and keep to safe speeds. If you have previous hill driving & night driving experience, in that case should not be an issue.
Thanks. Yea thats the route I was referring to. I have done plenty of night drives and hill drives but not on this route.
Old 6th June 2016, 10:42   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
. Coonoor route should see more traffic but in general should be wider.
No sir it still is not wider. I do agree it 'should be wider'. Have you ever driven on these two roads?

Last edited by YaeJay : 6th June 2016 at 10:51.
Old 6th June 2016, 11:11   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
No sir it still is not wider. I do agree it 'should be wider'. Have you ever driven on these two roads?
I have been on the Ooty-Conoor road and have seen enough tourist traffic. My data may not be as comprehensive as what a local may know. But I still found it to be decent enough to suggest to members compared to the Kotagiri route. If you think that is not right, please update, so that it can be corrected.

Also can you add your assessment on the ease of access and driving on Kothagiri route compared to NH67? Because I always thought (and read on this forum from many) that its difficult for folks from planes to take the Kothagiri compared to NH67.

Again if thats not right, please correct.

EDIT:

Here you go: Check the same thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1777162

Check posts 27/28. This is what makes me not suggest the Kotagiri option. Though its an old post, but the road textures/elevations profiles should be invariant.

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2016 at 11:35.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 12:17   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have been on the Ooty-Conoor road and have seen enough tourist traffic. My data may not be as comprehensive as what a local may know.
Also can you add your assessment on the ease of access and driving on Kothagiri route compared to NH67? Because I always thought (and read on this forum from many) that its difficult for folks from planes to take the Kothagiri compared to NH67.

Again if thats not right, please correct.

EDIT:

Here you go: Check the same thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1777162

Check posts 27/28. This is what makes me not suggest the Kotagiri option. Though its an old post, but the road textures/elevations profiles should be invariant.

I guess you haven't done the kotagiri mettu. How can you compare? Please try it next time. It is much easier for new drivers than the coonoor road. Ampy, there a lot of us who place complete trust in what you say.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 12:28   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
I guess you haven't done the kotagiri mettu. How can you compare? Please try it next time. It is much easier for new drivers than the coonoor road. Ampy, there a lot of us who place complete trust in what you say.
Thanks for the update. My comparison point was based on HVK which has stuck to me. I had been here 2-3 times and even I was irked by the traffic on NH67. But the way I read HVK mention about Kotagiri, I myself never recommended it. Because I myself don't have the experience of Kotagiri.

Since you say it with conviction and you are more on the ground that helps much better.

Surely even I open to corrections. No harm in correcting. We all learn that way only. My only concern is that correction to happen before the OP consumes the actual suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks